• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wheeeeeeee
    How was your visit to the moon?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Diesel motor is now out of the VW, going on engine stand for cam inspection, balance shaft delete and new timing belt/upgraded water pump.

The 4 runner is nearly ready for the new motor
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭
    Finally got to boat in something other than a Great Lake. Down in Orange Beach, rented a Regal Leisure Cat 26 to take out the family. Now I know what @randy56 is talking about with skinny water! Can't believe how quickly you can go from 8 feet to 8 inches and you're still so far away from shore. I'm used to 30' of water under the boat at the dock, not 30 inches! One eye on the water and one eye on the depth finder. Had a great time exploring the bayous and bays and the local wildlife. Those darn dolphins are easy to find, but hard to get a good picture. Too quick. And the pelican decided to strafe the boat, which was fun.

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    @TonyG13. You in Alabama?
    Yup! Visiting the snowbirding in-laws until Thursday.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a good time. And remember if the water looks brown, go around. I've got to where if unfamiliar with the area I stand up all the time. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    Wheeeeeeee
    Hope those aren't Faria guages.

Quick tap might get them where they need to be.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited January 2021
    randy56 said:
    Looks like a good time. And remember if the water looks brown, go around. I've got to where if unfamiliar with the area I stand up all the time. 
    HeII, down there it’s ALL brown! At least until you get out in the Gulf. Grew up boating in Pensacola Bay and surrounding.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Wow, it ***s out heII! Hells and damns don’t count as cussing.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Add an s and it works!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    If you were flying barrel rolls with Faria gauges, your pants would be brown.  
  • Options
    randy56 said:
    I started out sitting down, but then stood up after about 1/2 hour. "If it's brown, go around" is exactly what the company we rented from said. Easy and memorable.
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Homer: “We got a little rule back home: if it’s brown, drink it down. If it’s black, send it back!”
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are sick
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    If you were flying barrel rolls with Faria gauges, your pants would be brown.  
    It’s VFR. I’m looking outside!
  • Options
    tonystoytonystoy Member Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

My son had a little 3 on 3 tournament in the backyard this weekend.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool @tonystoy , what state are you in? 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    We are in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio. This is our 4th year with the rink. First two years we were able to use the heck out of it. Last year we didn’t get to use it once. This year started off slow, but lately has been used a lot lately. It’s a lot of work, but my son plays hockey and ice time is always hard to come by, so his team uses it as much as possible. My teenage daughter has skate parties out on it and does tic toc videos out on the ice.?.?. 🤦🏽‍♂️
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s great, LoL. A friend of mine makes one every season in his yard but we don’t get the constant cold weather for them to get good use of it.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    @tonystoy is a rinker.  One who rinks.  One who has a rink.  It's funny.  Right?  

Okay, not that funny.  I get that a lot.  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    That's great Tony that kids get to enjoy that.  I grew up in NE Ohio and we had a pond with an island in the middle. We had tons of old skates for everyone and I loved it as a kid. At times it was hard work clearing off the ice. When the ice was really solid we'd use my father's tractor with a blade to clear it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    tonystoy said:

My son had a little 3 on 3 tournament in the backyard this weekend.
    Holy! What size is your rink??

I want to build a 20 x 40' in my backyard OVER my swimming pool ... there's a concept where wood I-Joists are used to span the width of the pool, then the rink get's build on plywood sheets on top of that. Was going to do it this winter, but when I checked the cost of material ... COVID has almost doubled the cost of lumber!!  So, I'll wait for the insanity to be over.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MarkB said:
    I want to build a 20 x 40' in my backyard OVER my swimming pool ... there's a concept where wood I-Joists are used to span the width of the pool, then the rink get's build on plywood sheets on top of that. Was going to do it this winter, but when I checked the cost of material ... COVID has almost doubled the cost of lumber!!  So, I'll wait for the insanity to be over.
    Beautiful rink indeed. Kind of off topic, but now you're into my area of expertise in building material sales. Hang on to your hat. As the song goes, you ain't seen nothing yet. I am currently quoting a 4000 sq. ft. house to be built in the spring. Plan calls for TJI/I-Joist for floors. Supplier has instead quoted open web floor trusses because they expect that by spring you won't be able to buy a TJI at any price. Supply is being allocated, a fancy word for rationed among suppliers. We are limited to no more than last years sales, even though demand has risen over 30%. Plywood is getting scarce as well as some sizes dimensional lumber. Our analysts are projecting at least another 30 to 40% increase by spring when demand ramps up. People have accused us of trying to take advantage of Covid, but they just don't get it. All everybody has done for a year now is build stuff, but what they aren't getting is that manufacturing of materials ground to a halt last spring and has never caught up, because facilities can't have 40 people in a lunch room or working shoulder to shoulder on a line, so manufacturing capacity for some building materials is less than 40%. All supply and demand. Even now our quotes are only valid for a two week period because of how quickly the market is changing. Special order doors and windows are now 8 - 12 week minimum lead time. Lead time for orders of Rockwool insulation is now 90 to 120 days. The insulation I ordered last week won't arrive until April. Every day I go to work and just shake my head. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options

@MarkB the rink is 56’x80’. It takes up almost my entire backyard. Lol. I told my son if he wants to use the ice, he needs to be the one that “zamboni’s” it after!
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    MarkB said:
    Beautiful rink indeed. Kind of off topic, but now you're into my area of expertise in building material sales. Hang on to your hat. As the song goes, you ain't seen nothing yet. I am currently quoting a 4000 sq. ft. house to be built in the spring. Plan calls for TJI/I-Joist for floors. Supplier has instead quoted open web floor trusses because they expect that by spring you won't be able to buy a TJI at any price. Supply is being allocated, a fancy word for rationed among suppliers. We are limited to no more than last years sales, even though demand has risen over 30%. Plywood is getting scarce as well as some sizes dimensional lumber. Our analysts are projecting at least another 30 to 40% increase by spring when demand ramps up. People have accused us of trying to take advantage of Covid, but they just don't get it. All everybody has done for a year now is build stuff, but what they aren't getting is that manufacturing of materials ground to a halt last spring and has never caught up, because facilities can't have 40 people in a lunch room or working shoulder to shoulder on a line, so manufacturing capacity for some building materials is less than 40%. All supply and demand. Even now our quotes are only valid for a two week period because of how quickly the market is changing. Special order doors and windows are now 8 - 12 week minimum lead time. Lead time for orders of Rockwool insulation is now 90 to 120 days. The insulation I ordered last week won't arrive until April. Every day I go to work and just shake my head. 
    Hard to get anything lately. I need lumber but the prices are outrageous and stock is limited, tractor is backordered, truck bed tonneau cover is backordered, and all my imports for my business are being delayed as shipping channels are bursting at the seams with demand. 

I'm at the point of now just waiting and seeing what the prices do as I'm not going to overspend for something I can buy later for cheaper. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id kill to play some back yard hockey.  Pick up ice time is hard to come by around here lately.  They are just now making up adult league time where it shut down last winter due to covid.  
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    MarkB said:
    I'm just wondering if I can't fabricate some beams myself ... Just use a 6 x 6 post capped with some 2 x 8's or something ... don't know ... I need to span my 14' wide pool, want to make the rink 20' wide, so the joist would have 3ft of ground support on each side.  I can still get plywood if I pay.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The price of wood is crazy and the quality is questionable.  I have spent over $2500 on the 6x9 treehouse (wood only)!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    tonystoy said:

@MarkB the rink is 56’x80’. It takes up almost my entire backyard. Lol. I told my son if he wants to use the ice, he needs to be the one that “zamboni’s” it after!
    Wtf is this madness?  God bless Texas.