Options

Pic Of The Day

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,631 mod
    Great shot.  It looks like your boat is the fireworks barge.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The girls had camp today 😎. Nice quiet lunch out on the Patchouge River at Drift 82.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭
    Hooked up and ready for Thursday's 4 day trip 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ever get the feeling your boat is small. We got confirmation ours is 🤔. You can see us in the middle if you look hard, find Waldo. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Don't feel too bad. Some of those boats probably have tenders bigger than my boat. 

• Options
    That Marquis 65 over to the right is not very crappy.  I'd settle for that.  
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Marquis has massive boat house it's stored in, we stared at it from our old moorage outside the club. The owner is incredibly nice as is everyone here. Funny thing the owner of the Marquis was playing redneck yacht club. I guess he still knows who he is despite the boat 😃
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Saint elmos fire in the left windshield. 
  • Options
    Very cool @69fastback !
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it scary when your up there and can see it front of you. Or do you not fear it? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    Is it scary when your up there and can see it front of you. Or do you not fear it? 
    I assume you’re talking about lightning?  Lightning isn’t scary, per say. I’ve been struck a few times, but it’s never comfortable. 

That picture is not lightning though. It’s the saint elmos fire phenomenon. It actually happens within the windscreen. 

St. Elmo's fire is a form of plasma. The electric fieldaround the object in question causes ionization of the air molecules, producing a faint glow easily visible in low-light conditions. Conditions that can generate St. Elmo's fire are present during thunderstorms, when high voltage differentials are present between clouds and the ground underneath. A local electric field of approximately 100 kV/m is required to begin a discharge in moist air. The magnitude of the electric field depends greatly on the geometry (shape and size) of the object. Sharp points lower the necessary voltage because electric fields are more concentrated in areas of high curvature, so discharges preferentially occur and are more intense at the ends of pointed objects.

The nitrogen and oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere cause St. Elmo's fire to fluoresce with blue or violet light; this is similar to the mechanism that causes neon lights to glow, albeit at a different colour due to the different gas involved.[5]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elmo%27s_fire

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭✭
    HAARP maybe..?
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2021
    the admiral wanted a 4x4 toy.  I got her a 99 discovery 2 with approximately 224k.  

And yes she's already told me she wants a diesel swap.  Yes i already have an extra passat for donor motor.  However, she's been told she's driving it with the fuel guzzling v8 until I'm done with my  4runner resto mod.    She's also going to be bank rolling her project.

Perfect vehicle for a 5.9 Gen 2 cummins swap
    Lol, I can see a this disco 2 going across its first mud hole with a 6bt!  Instant sinking as that 1200 lbs motor takes the whole front end to the bottom.

While I like the 4bt (same motor minus 2 cylinders) for off road/weekend driver 4x4 applications, these are brutal motors.  They have insane torque pulse requiring 1 ton or similar heavy duty transmissions as the vibrations eat bearings and synchros.   They are also not very easy on the axles found in most small sub 1/2 ton suvs/trucks.  Toyota seems the be the only company that has made consistently over built axles since the 70s.  

The admiral isn't sure what she wants to do with it at this time other than drive it.  I've cured the abs/traction control lights as well as check engine/service engine soon light issues.  I've repaired the door lock systems, gotten all blinkers/tail lights working.  I've cleaned up the redneck wiring hack job on the roof mounted light bar.  Im also nearly done flushing/changing all the fluids in her.

She's wanting the new full sized 2 door bronco coming out next year but I'm not sure she'll be happy married to the payment, taxes and insurance.  

She has hinted that if she decides to keep the disco that a lift kit is to be installed along with an diesel conversion.  She found that the 200tdi that came in these model discos was approx the same hp as the passat diesels I collect.  Sge made the comment that once my 4 runner is on the road i still have 2 diesel passats that need a new home.  She's getting 14 to 15 mph when the diesel variant gets 20+.  

• Options
    edited July 2021
    my first attempt to make an omelet on the grill wasn't too shabby.
    Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, at high tide you can’t see the wall. But some people just don’t get that a large channel marker at the north (about 40’ from where he “landed”) and a number of buoys and markers to the south channel marker actually has a meaning. Whether you look at the chart or not…..

High tide will be back later tonight.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spotted in Kincardine harbour on Lake Huron. Had never heard of Pershing before. According to Yachtworld about $6 million US.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    edited July 2021
  • Options
     Only 6 mill ,Cheep boat, Lots of auto stuff ladder, windows, doors, sunroof, I'd be scared to drive it,  in fear of a scratch. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited July 2021
    Um, that's a 45-knot boat.  5000+ horsepower, surface-piercing drives.  GTF out of the way.  Pershing has always been that way:  speed, speed, speed.
  • Options
    But if you don't have that sort of coin, a 20-year-old Pershing 65 can be had for under $600k.  It will do 45 knots if you can pay the bills.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the admiral wanted a 4x4 toy.  I got her a 99 discovery 2 with approximately 224k.  

And yes she's already told me she wants a diesel swap.  Yes i already have an extra passat for donor motor.  However, she's been told she's driving it with the fuel guzzling v8 until I'm done with my  4runner resto mod.    She's also going to be bank rolling her project.

Lol, I can see a this disco 2 going across its first mud hole with a 6bt!  Instant sinking as that 1200 lbs motor takes the whole front end to the bottom.

While I like the 4bt (same motor minus 2 cylinders) for off road/weekend driver 4x4 applications, these are brutal motors.  They have insane torque pulse requiring 1 ton or similar heavy duty transmissions as the vibrations eat bearings and synchros.   They are also not very easy on the axles found in most small sub 1/2 ton suvs/trucks.  Toyota seems the be the only company that has made consistently over built axles since the 70s.  

The admiral isn't sure what she wants to do with it at this time other than drive it.  I've cured the abs/traction control lights as well as check engine/service engine soon light issues.  I've repaired the door lock systems, gotten all blinkers/tail lights working.  I've cleaned up the redneck wiring hack job on the roof mounted light bar.  Im also nearly done flushing/changing all the fluids in her.

She's wanting the new full sized 2 door bronco coming out next year but I'm not sure she'll be happy married to the payment, taxes and insurance.  

She has hinted that if she decides to keep the disco that a lift kit is to be installed along with an diesel conversion.  She found that the 200tdi that came in these model discos was approx the same hp as the passat diesels I collect.  Sge made the comment that once my 4 runner is on the road i still have 2 diesel passats that need a new home.  She's getting 14 to 15 mph when the diesel variant gets 20+.  

How about a Yanmar? RinkerYan recommended 
  • Options
    edited July 2021

How about a Yanmar? RinkerYan recommended 
    Toyota land cruiser, BMW and volvo Penta have already used them dating back to at least the land cruiser 12HT and the BMW X5.

I'm not sure if the old toyota B,H, 3B, 2H, 3BT blocks were yanmar, being all Japanese based I'd not be surprised.

The 2 biggest reasons I would use a VW or Mercedes OM606 over a yanmar??

First would be adapters.  Mercedes and VW are so common for swaps now that you can adapt them to small block chevy, Ford, jeep, Toyota, Nissan, etc.

The other reason is tuning.  If I were smarter with electrical systems, ecu programming, custom wiring harness etc. I can get a stand alone ecu for the VW and Mercedes made easily for sometimes less than 1500 bucks.

Whitbread is the only tuner/adapter maker i know of that is working to maranize the 3.0 land cruiser/bmw/yanmar found in the x5 and some volvo Penta applications.  Hes also working on stand alone ecu and engine adapters.  I inquired about an update maybe a year ago but didn't hear back.

I can find and good running VW and Mercedes 300td diesels for less than 2500 on a regular basis, i can't do that with an x5 diesel just yet so even if the support was there it isn't feasible now.  For less than 10k I can get a drop in ready cummins 2.8.  Right now the cost of v6 tdi VW suvs and diesel BMW x5s are about 8 to 10k so unless you just want to be different its not really a good choice for a budget build conversion.   I pay scrap prices for my 2004/2005 passats.  Finding them with bad transmissions and sub 150k on the odometer is fairly easy.  

Outside the x5 I dont think any USA available vehicles got a yanmar.  This makes buying parts a little difficult when you need them quickly to repair your daily driver/weekend trail toy.  You can import your favorite diesel off road toy from whatever country you'd like once it reaches 25 yrs old.

Maybe one of our lovely Canadian members could keep an eye out for a left hand drive land cruiser 70 series land cruiser with a soft top!!!  A bj70 or bj75 troopy soft top would be a sweet ride.  So long as the rust isn't too bad.  

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Spotted in Kincardine harbour on Lake Huron. Had never heard of Pershing before. According to Yachtworld about $6 million US.
    Sing with me!

”one of these things is not like the others…”
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Um, that's a 45-knot boat.  5000+ horsepower, surface-piercing drives.  GTF out of the way.  Pershing has always been that way:  speed, speed, speed.
    A boat like that needs a better, more in your face name. Like "Suck My Wake"
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Registered in Leamington Ontario, home to a Heinz tomato processing/ketchup plant. Someone else looking at her speculated that it was owned by someone in the Heinz family.😆
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,597 mod
    @aero3113 I believe your daughter is saying "Daddy, that big one over there.  That is our next boat!" :smiley:

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Dream_Inn said:
    @aero3113 I believe your daughter is saying "Daddy, that big one over there.  That is our next boat!" :smiley:
    😎⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭
    Rack buddies boat. Bravo III gearcase cracked open. No idea what he did. For sure gonna ask next time I see him.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    ouch, don't see any damage, on the skag
    Boat Name :