Options

Stay out of Florida

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
Disney opened yesterday. Today we set a new record of 15000+ new cases, at this point that's more than any one day in the North East....and when it was close to this number New England was shut down hard!!  If you're planning on coming here I'd say think again!!

https://www.devdiscourse.com/article/health/1127125-florida-reports-over-15000-covid-19-cases-in-single-day-record

As soon as the **** boat gets fixed it'll be time to take a couple week trip back into the FL bay and just live off the boat!!
«13456

Comments

  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arizona sure is setting new records as well. Per capita they are only behind new jersey and NY is ahead of them. Unfortunately for me I fly to Arizona weekly as this is our only route we currently cover. I just hide out in our hangar and order food though. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are we supposed to do? Just shut down everything???
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think Jeff is being literal about staying out of Florida. Also I am just making an observation of statistics. I never went out much when I was in Arizona before since I can't stand the place after living there for many years. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I am sort of saying, this probably isn't the place you want to come on vacation to... especially Key West.. Try out the midwest this year or something !  :D  I knew people were more laid back down here and that's part of why I moved, but what's going on here with the inability to slow down and try to isolate a little (it's not happening) is nuts. 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Disney trip planned for October.  We rented a house in Kissemmee.  This was planned pre pandemic
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    I have a Disney trip planned for October.  We rented a house in Kissemmee.  This was planned pre pandemic
    Hopefully it's better by then. Schools start around Aug. 15th, will know 4 weeks later if it really heats up or not!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I think United is allowing people to postpone trips for 24 months...worst case we cancel and reschedule for later
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,620 mod
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Arizona sure is setting new records as well. Per capita they are only behind new jersey and NY is ahead of them. Unfortunately for me I fly to Arizona weekly as this is our only route we currently cover. I just hide out in our hangar and order food though. 
    Haha ... I am typing this while sitting on a flight to Phoenix!  I'd say 75% of the seats are empty.  Nobody wants to go to Arizona right now.  I have to be there for a week, but I'll be mostly on a military base with minimal human contact.  
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Yea! Furloughs!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone's been talking about the "second wave". Instead what we're seeing is "First Wave Version 2.0"...this isn't even the second wave yet, it's just the first go round moving into areas that weren't hard hit yet, or where restrictions were loosened too fast. Not meant to be political, just a statistical fact. If you look at the areas of the world where things are under control they literally just shut it completely down for 4 to 6 weeks...and more importantly, everyone complied. They weren't out in the streets protesting or not wearing masks just to prove a point etc.
    Our area is moving to mandatory masks as of tomorrow in all enclosed public areas including all retailers like the one I'm involved in. We are already seeing social media posts on how people plan to get around wearing one by claiming they have a "medical" condition and under our Charter of Rights no one is allowed to question that. So that's the loophole.....But, on the other hand, as an employee of a private business I am under my rights to refuse unsafe work. No mask? I refuse to serve you. Plain and simple. You are threatening my personal health and safety. Gonna be interesting.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound - Not sure how it works up north, but we have "reasonable accommodation" - so if someone shows up without a mask, you kindly ask them to put one on, if they give "medical condition" as to why they don't need one -- you just ask them what they need and you will happily get it for them. They still cannot insist on entering a private establishment if a reasonable alternative is made available. See all the Costco instances over the last few weeks for reference. :-)
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Correct @TonyG13. They can enter, we won't stop them. We could, but management has made a decision not to. But as an employee I can refuse to interact with them under our health and safety laws. I'll stand behind my counter with a plexi glass shield and talk to them but if they need personal help beyond that and no mask, I'll refuse.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No shirt, no shoes, no mask no service! There sure are a lot of morons out there but hey, I guess it thins the heard. Always thought there were to many idiot's on this planet anyway....
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had zero issues avoiding crowds in Florida when we went.


    I even asked the dolphin trainer if the dolphins were tested regularly for the corona virus. 

    The admiral gave me a very dirty look
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last week The Gov. of the State of Kentucky, said mandatory mask everywhere unless you are outside and 6 Ft apart.   He has been very aggressive, against the C-19 and his state numbers show it. He has helped stop the spread. I expect Indiana to follow mandatory mask this week.  
    I still think people do not believe this real, or it will not happen to me. We are seeing more and more case's weekly. A restaurant opens, then and employee get's it, then they close for a week. then re - open. Hummm
    Nursing home's are still closed for visitation. 
    Hospitals require mask, and you must go through a check point. 
    My son and his wife are school teachers, scheduled to open in about a month. They are fearful of the outcome. They have already purchased there own mask and shields. as it is predicted 1 in 4 teachers will get it. 
    Just a few weeks ago I noticed at the grocery store about 50% had on mask, yes I count them, my last week trip, everyone had one. some are getting the idea.
    Georgia opened first, they are paying the price.   
    My hat's off to Canada! they have done a much better job than the US, Keep those borders closed. 
    Boat Name : 

  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Washington was ground zero for the beginning but now per capita we have fallen very low on the list, I believe bottom 10 if not lower. Social distancing was always a goal of mine anyway so I'm good. 😏
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget that if during a regular Flu season we tested to the same profile that we would get the same numbers testing positive for exposure.....exposure NOT infection. I am incredulous at a lot of the non-medical (which keeps changing) advice that borders on hysteria. C19 molecules are huge by comparison. They don't travel far even if propelled by a significant cough. Wearing a mask is not without hazard as unless washed often is a bacteria breeding ground and on the very slim chance that C19 bacteria ever lodged in it - given that 99% of the people I see wearing masks constantly touch and fidget with them - they would be more likely to contract C19 with that mask on. 90% of people who test positive for C19 n(normal for a virus) suffer no ill effects. Of the remaining 10% half will fare no worse that a bout of any given Flu. Of the other 5% there will be some death , maybe 2%, but they have underlying medical issues that would likely kill them with any Flu. this disease has harmed the world's economy and split families over the controversial debates. IMO in retrospect this will be seen as one of the greatest episodes of mass panic in history. Want to stay healthy? wash your hands repeatedly and keep them away from wet membranes (eyes, nose, mouth). Maybe I am just an ornery old geezer but I am proud to say this virus will not intimidate me or turn me into a wiener as it has some of my friends. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,620 mod
    As if anybody needed a second reason to stay away from Arizona, here's one.  119*F = 48*C near Phoenix.    



  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    Don't forget that if during a regular Flu season we tested to the same profile that we would get the same numbers testing positive for exposure.....exposure NOT infection. I am incredulous at a lot of the non-medical (which keeps changing) advice that borders on hysteria. C19 molecules are huge by comparison. They don't travel far even if propelled by a significant cough. Wearing a mask is not without hazard as unless washed often is a bacteria breeding ground and on the very slim chance that C19 bacteria ever lodged in it - given that 99% of the people I see wearing masks constantly touch and fidget with them - they would be more likely to contract C19 with that mask on. 90% of people who test positive for C19 n(normal for a virus) suffer no ill effects. Of the remaining 10% half will fare no worse that a bout of any given Flu. Of the other 5% there will be some death , maybe 2%, but they have underlying medical issues that would likely kill them with any Flu. this disease has harmed the world's economy and split families over the controversial debates. IMO in retrospect this will be seen as one of the greatest episodes of mass panic in history. Want to stay healthy? wash your hands repeatedly and keep them away from wet membranes (eyes, nose, mouth). Maybe I am just an ornery old geezer but I am proud to say this virus will not intimidate me or turn me into a wiener as it has some of my friends. 
    Don’t forget to add that the positive antibody tests, indicating people who HAD the virus but not longer HAVE the virus are being coded as new cases, which further skews numbers. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    As if anybody needed a second reason to stay away from Arizona, here's one.  119*F = 48*C near Phoenix.    



    I don't know how I/we lived in that place for so long. My wife and I are born and raised on the Puget Sound where 70 is a hot summer, in my opinion. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I do appreciate that that @69fastback and @Michael T are making logical well thought out remarks/arguments rather than just saying non sense. You're two classy gentlemen 🎩. 

    So many ways to look at this I just appreciate it gives me a reason to not want to go to Arizona and Florida. It's unfortunate we all just couldn't raft up and have these conversations cause I'm sure we would all agree on one thing.... Why the heck is boating so expensive!! 💰

    Oh also the worst thing about this is watching all the stupid "at home" commercials 😠
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Dana Point, California, USAPosts: 0 ✭✭✭
    "Stay out of Florida?" Nope!
    Andy
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea That’s dry heat
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,589 mod
    I worked in Phoenix for a couple summers many years ago.  I still remember when it hit 122F and even the airport had to shut down for a couple hours (things were only tested up to 120F).  That weeks average high was 118.  

    MT, I find it funny with your comment on intimidation and friend's becoming a "wiener".  I've gotta completely respect those that have issues and are really trying to make sure they stay their distance and not get covid.  Yes, I have been rafting up and enjoying life for sure, but I do have friends, close ones, that have had heart surgeries and have much older parents living with them that I respect them not wanting to get close.  Also  it is funny how many people will throw all kinds of numbers out on the Internet.


    I have to say, here in MD, it's been mandatory for months now to wear masks everywhere you go.  If you look at MD's numbers, it's been working out.   I've been wearing them everyday at work since March, so I guess I don't find any of a big deal now.  Heck, at my workplace if you find someone not wearing the mask correctly, you are supposed to report them.  I think it makes perfect sense to do what you can to prevent the spread.  Yes, I do live life to the fullest everyday.  I don't believe a little prevention slows any of that fun down.

    Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I do appreciate that that @69fastback and @Michael T are making logical well thought out remarks/arguments rather than just saying non sense. You're two classy gentlemen 🎩. 

    So many ways to look at this I just appreciate it gives me a reason to not want to go to Arizona and Florida. It's unfortunate we all just couldn't raft up and have these conversations cause I'm sure we would all agree on one thing.... Why the heck is boating so expensive!! 💰

    Oh also the worst thing about this is watching all the stupid "at home" commercials 😠
    There’s definitely a lot of ways to look at it. I feel like the destruction of our economy is going to affect far more many people than the virus will. After all, with the antibody tests, they’re finding that it isn’t as deadly as once thought. Meanwhile, 40 million people are unemployed, and it’s climbing again. 


    I personally am not scared to get the virus, but I try to just be smart about it. I’ll admit, I don’t wear a mask unless it’s required, but if I go somewhere it’s required, I put one on. Also, my 96 year old grandma still lives at home by herself. Sometimes my mom goes and stays with her. In April, I had to commute to Vegas for work. Given that I was out traveling, I didn’t go visit either of them. It’s just the smart thing to do. 

    The virus is definitely a real danger for some. I also feel that if you’re one of those people, you should protect yourself and let everyone else go to work and let the economy try to recover because as harsh as it may sound, we are destroying more lives than we are saving, by a lot (don’t forget the virus isn’t a death sentence for the very large majority of people.)


    I will say that my personal situation could very well make me biased. I literally don’t know one single person who has, or has had, the virus. I am a pilot who is going to be furloughed October 1st when the CARES act ends, and projections are saying it’ll be at least 2022 before the industry even starts to see recovery. When 10,000+ pilots get furloughed on the same day (October 1st), there will be no jobs to grab. I’ve done nothing but work in aviation since I was 19, and now I’m literally going to have to go find a new career. So, I’ll admit that my stance may be a a bit selfish, based on my own situation, but for the sake of my airline, please keeping going to Disneyland, and to Vegas to gamble 😁
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have had one pilot that has gotten the virus and guess where he's based.....Arizona 😏. Just a coincidence but kinda funny. I definitely understand the struggle in the pilot industry but somehow fortunately for me and my wife as she is/was a commercial pilot, we have never been laid off or furloughed and I have been flying since 2003. At my current job it has turned into working less and since I'm salary I have had no change in pay so you won't hear me complain I certainly feel for everyone else who has been affected financially. The only affect I have had first hand was losing my interview opportunity at Alaska airlines but where I'm "stuck at" now is more than adequate. 

    I do wish people would just respect others and if someone wants you to wear a mask than no big deal be respectful of their request. This is probably happening 99% of the time but of course we see when people go crazy about it in videos people post, I'm sure those are extreme cases and rare. Maybe after all of this our society will be cleaner and more aware of others space. I can not tell you how many times I have seen passengers in the terminal bathroom flush the toilet after dropping anchor and just walk out 🤢 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    We have had one pilot that has gotten the virus and guess where he's based.....Arizona 😏. Just a coincidence but kinda funny. I definitely understand the struggle in the pilot industry but somehow fortunately for me and my wife as she is/was a commercial pilot, we have never been laid off or furloughed and I have been flying since 2003. At my current job it has turned into working less and since I'm salary I have had no change in pay so you won't hear me complain I certainly feel for everyone else who has been affected financially. The only affect I have had first hand was losing my interview opportunity at Alaska airlines but where I'm "stuck at" now is more than adequate. 

    I do wish people would just respect others and if someone wants you to wear a mask than no big deal be respectful of their request. This is probably happening 99% of the time but of course we see when people go crazy about it in videos people post, I'm sure those are extreme cases and rare. Maybe after all of this our society will be cleaner and more aware of others space. I can not tell you how many times I have seen passengers in the terminal bathroom flush the toilet after dropping anchor and just walk out 🤢 
    I survived 9/11 and ‘08. This is going to be much much worse. Partly because I just took a new job, my first 121 job, and I’m a low seniority number. Again, selfish reasons for my feelings, no doubt. 



    The crazies on either side don’t help. They make it worse. 
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    i understand the hardships and i am sorry = but why would you want people to fly to vegas n disneyland 
    everyone needs to be cautious and take it seriously 

    its rampant 
    and its world wide 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could be wrong @trip_n but I believe @69fastback comment was at least somewhat tongue in cheek. I'm firmly in the keep it closed camp, but also realize a lot of people are experiencing financial hardship. It's a tough line to figure out. We've been somewhat  lucky if you want to call it that because I've been working throughout as "essential" but I have to tell you that my anxiety and stress levels have been through the roof and it is taking a toll. I'm short tempered and don't sleep well at night. My concentration is shot. And the better half got canned after 25 years in an executive position after a U.S. firm bought them out last year but we took them to court and won a nice settlement that has provided income....but the pandemic has made a new job impossible and that money would have been better used for our retirement. But at least we can pay our bills. At least for another 8 months or so, and then some hard decisions will have to be made to move and even perhaps sell the boat. But we are trying to stay positive.

    Where I do get my back up though are when calls to open up are politically motivated or made by big business that don't give two cents for their poorly paid workers, they just want to make shareholders happy. That gets me riled.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I think most everyone’s opinion is driven by their own personal agenda. It’s human nature. The reality is, that as long as we can express our feelings, without it turning into a personal flame war, then there is no harm. I understand where other people come from, and I think most sensible people understand where I come from. The fact is, it doesn’t matter because we are forced to live through this, and there’s nothing we can do about it. I’m in the process of getting my CDL so I can at least work while I’m under, what I expect to be, a lengthy furlough. 
Sign In or Register to comment.