Options

Stock Market

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Did anyone else besides me read that the colonial pipeline got hacked causing it to shut down operations?? May want to play something oil related
    Drivers around here are full-on retards.  When the pipeline story got out, hoards of drivers all went to buy gas on the same day, causing a few stations to run out.  That news sent the remaining drivers into panic mode, and everybody bought gas until there's none left.  

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    Thanks @MarkB good view point. And thanks for your research. Crypto is interesting. as you will see by my next post.
    By the way, I just sold SOME of my ETH at 4300 and moved some of that cash into LTC and XLM.  I bought the ETH at 500.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else buying on the crash today?
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all are going to be riding horses soon. I read that the Colonial Pipeline was using an old version of Internet Explorer. Come on Man! How did these companies pump fuel when there was no Internet???
    This is what tech is in companies. Crazy. 
  • Options
    Bought 1500 of ETH... ready for the rocket up!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    edited May 2021
    Snopes reports, you decide.
    https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hoarding-gas-plastic-bags/

FYI, my marina just filled the tank at the gas dock.  Being without car fuel would be a telework blessing for me.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Yes, I bought into a few stocks today. 2 new ones for me was HTGC and SUN. 

Looks like my favorite AMAT has really gone down.  I plan to buy more of it tomorrow.  I believe it will double by this time next year.  Hard to believe something that is huge into supplying the chip shortage would drop down so much.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    Not buying anything until I see a sign of reversal. Could be here or could be another week of this. Will look for the VIX to start coming back down and look for a daily reversal. If we don't get that then maybe we get a weekly reversal next week. In start terms we were at the top of the broadening formation so stratters were not surprised by this. But how far will it pull back? Strong tickers will often pull back a little bit then create a micro broadening formation. In weaker markets they might pull back all the way to the bottom of the broadening formation and sometimes more. To be honest I don't use broadening formations as much as I should be but the strat teaches to use them. All they are is basically trend lines that create a megaphone shape.

That said, I did enter a lotto on TSLA June 800 calls after seeing a large order go across on them. Something like 21,000 contracts in one block. From a chart perspective I see no reversal or reason to start going long on it but we will see.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have not bought any stocks in over a week. Stocks took a beating today. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I did ... After selling my ETH at 4300, I had cash ... put it into some LTC and XLM when it tanked.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    J3ff said:
    Whoa, that's A LOT of ETH!

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Did anyone else besides me read that the colonial pipeline got hacked causing it to shut down operations?? May want to play something oil related
    Drivers around here are full-on retards.  When the pipeline story got out, hoards of drivers all went to buy gas on the same day, causing a few stations to run out.  That news sent the remaining drivers into panic mode, and everybody bought gas until there's none left.  
    Agreed. Every time something like this happens, people freak out and do stupid things. Civility in society is a thin veneer and it doesn't take much to wear through it.  My faith in mankind is dwindling.
  • Options
    @boatman37. Can you look at LBS=F and look at the chart and maybe explain it?
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    You either are referring to a different coin or you spent over 5 million dollars!?!?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I'd say he doing $1500 invested.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Oh duh that makes more sense 🤣
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    The main reason you guys can make money trading stocks is that people are stupid, panicky, and stupid.  Case in point:

Since Tuesday, every gas station around here has had plastic bags taped over the pump handles.  Driving home today, I'm 10 miles out, and the car's computer says 5 miles to empty.  I'm trying to make it home by turning off the air conditioner and drafting trucks like a Prius hyper-miler. 

Then I got lucky and found an open gas station.  I only bought 5 gallons because I didn't want to get shot.  

Why did this happen?  Because people are stupid.  So go make some trades -- because, people!   :)
  • Options

Can't seem to bring it up in thinkorswim. Need a defined candle chart to read it. Can try other charts and let you know
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Aqua_Aura said:
    J3ff said:
    You either are referring to a different coin or you spent over 5 million dollars!?!?
    meant 1500 in cash. Not coins lol. I bailed out of ETH for now, too expensive. 

Today was a rough day for crypto, but AMC hit 14 bucks and GME was also up... gotta love those two stocks!!

Post edited by J3ff on
  • Options
    While on my FL winter vacation I ran across a multi millionare. He was a retired stock maket guru. One of his philosophy's were NEVER fall in love with the stock, fall in love with the money. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    boatman37 said:

Can't seem to bring it up in thinkorswim. Need a defined candle chart to read it. Can try other charts and let you know

• Options
    randy56 said:
    While on my FL winter vacation I ran across a multi millionare. He was a retired stock maket guru. One of his philosophy's were NEVER fall in love with the stock, fall in love with the money. 

Yep. The saying is date them but never marry them...lol
  • Options
    boatman37 said:

Yeah I saw that chart but it doesn't have candlesticks. Japanese candlesticks show OHLC (open, high, low, close). Having that info shows the psychology of the market. If a stock opens at $12 but then falls to $5 then pops back up and closes at $14 show the bulls won that battle and were in control. A line chart doesn't give that information. Based on the chart you put up I'd say don't try to catch a falling knife, meaning wait until it starts to base then reverses back up, maybe on a daily chart.
  • Options
    @boatman37 on the last piece of that chart it went way up then way down. Why?
  • Options
    Because a millionaire is trying to drop the price.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

Hard to say. Could have been news, could have been profit taking (which I doubt cause it looks like it went all the way to lows). News trumps charts but many times the charts will be ahead of the news due to insider buying, etc. Yeah we know that isn't legal but if you get a 2 down reversal with large volume then someone is dumping for some reason.

Without giving a full course on The Strat there are only 3 ways a stock can move from one candle to the next and only a few ways that one can reverse. My favorites are a 3-1 and 1-2down-2up reversal or 1-2up-2down reversal. A 1 is an inside candle (entire candle is inside of the previous one). A 2 broke one side or the other of the previous candle. A 3 broke both sides so completely engulfs the previous candle. There are many other reversals like a 2-2, 2-1-2, etc. It's best to pick 1 or 2 and perfect them. On a 3-1 (or even a 2-1) let's say the top of the 3 is at $110 and the top of the 1 is $103. As soon as that top of the inside candle is broken ($103) that is your entry and your target is the top of the 3 candle ($110). The Strat also relies on multiple timeframe continuity so I look at the weekly, daily, 60 minute, 30 minute, 15 minute, and 5 minute charts. When all have green candles that means every participation group is buying. Meaning the quick flip daytraders, the short term overnighters, and longer term holders are all buying. If you are doing quick flips the weekly doesn't matter so much and maybe not even the daily.

All of Rob's stuff is free except his room he runs each day and his full course. I have never taken his course and am no longer in his room but all of his youtube videos are free and there is a huge Strat community on twitter. Just search for #TheStrat. It works on any markets and any timeframes. There are others on Twitter that are better at it than me but I'm getting there...lol

This was a 3-1 entry here

• Options
    So that is kind of what I was doing last week with Doge. I'd buy in with 1600 bucks at any price, when it went to +25$ I'd bail out unless it was flying up, now on the flip side, if I bought in and it went to -10, I bailed right away. It would usually keep going down and then when it started a slight uptick I'd be back in. I did that 2 or 3 times successfully netting about 50 bucks. Then I bought in after a slight dip and in 30 seconds it rocketed up, walked away with +350$ in about 90 seconds. Couldn't believe it. Sold when it started another dip and had a drink!!

My question to you is how you handle this with taxes? Have a feeling next year taxes are going to be a mess if this is the way the money gets made over here!!
  • Options
    You only pay taxes on gains. You will get a 1099
  • Options
    For amounts that small I don't think the exchanges will 1099 you. I think when the government stepped in and wanted to tax and get 1099 it had to be a gain of 10k or 20k before coinbase was divulging that info. Maybe changed now 
    1997 Bayliner 3988