Options

Stock Market

Comments

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    I have owned two EFT's since the first part of the year, not loss anything yet. But not a lot of gain either. BOSS and PRNT we will see. 
               shares        Purchas price                Now                    % gain           Date of purchase
    BOSS     50              $30.00                      $36.03                   20.01                3/05/21
    PRNT     50              $38.96                      $38.97                       .01                4/29/21
    Post edited by randy56 on
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Logged into Etrade this afternoon to find every stock in the red. Then finding the reason is a real estate company in China is in finance trouble. Someone explain to me what does that have to do with wall street USA? Average down 5% per stock.

New York (CNN Business)The Dow and the broader US stock market fell to close sharply lower Monday as Chinese real estate conglomerate Evergrande's debt crisis made American investors uneasy.
    It was the worst performance since May for the S&P and the Nasdaq, while the Dow logged its worst day since July.
    Stocks spent the whole day deep in the red and the Dow fell more than 970 points at its low point.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Well, I figured it was a good day to buy a bit more.  Looking back, I should've bought even more, but I have a feeling I'll get an opportunity again in the near future.

Randy, unfortunately there are a lot of ties with China companies.  I also have a few China EVs (BYDDY, LI, & NIO) that really sank, but I believe was a good buying opportunity.  

It will all bounce back at least some today.  Too much panic out there right now.  At some point we are going to have a good 15%+ pull back.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    Logged into Etrade this afternoon to find every stock in the red. Then finding the reason is a real estate company in China is in finance trouble. Someone explain to me what does that have to do with wall street USA? Average down 5% per stock.

New York (CNN Business)The Dow and the broader US stock market fell to close sharply lower Monday as Chinese real estate conglomerate Evergrande's debt crisis made American investors uneasy.
    It was the worst performance since May for the S&P and the Nasdaq, while the Dow logged its worst day since July.
    Stocks spent the whole day deep in the red and the Dow fell more than 970 points at its low point.
    Because that is the 2nd largest property developer in China, that probably makes the largest in the USA look like a minnow ... well, that property developer has borrow funds from many, many banks in China ... and because they are at risk of default, so are the banks. So, we would have a Lehman's default like situation, except maybe bigger ... so imagine 2008 financial melt down all over again.  

The issue is the banks that default have their hands in a lot of western investments too, so there are ripple effects.  And vice versa ... there are many western companies invested in China too.  There's no way this can happen without huge repercussions to the rest of the world ... it's too tangle up with the rest of the world.

Now, it is yet to be seen how China deals with it, and how much damage there will be eventually ... they are trying to avoid default, for example.

But this is a knee jerk reaction by weary investors ... exiting, especially what they think are high risk investments.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    we needed this pullback. hoping we pull back a little more. FOMC minutes are tomorrow so likely we see a bunch of chop until then. i made 2 trades early this morning and stopped out of both for small losses. market just couldn't get any traction either way. i'll be looking for an opportunity to add more to my IRA off a reversal and as always will look to day trade my way back up in my smaller account
  • Options
    Starting to get the picture. They thought they were to big to fail. 200,000 employees' there stock has been tanking all year. China will bail them out. The market made a come back today, not enough but going in the right direction.

But some suggest it may already be too late to save the company.
    Evergrande's financial problems have been widely dubbed by Chinese media as "a huge black hole," implying that no amount of money can resolve the issue.
    "We do ultimately expect that the government will intervene in Evergrande's case, as it will not allow the company's defaults to spread into the banking system,"
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    It will all be fine. Evergrande will not trigger a Lehman Bros. type of fail. September is traditionally a bear month (read buy month.....good on you @Dream_Inn). Late November and December will be bull months as fund managers try to build portfolios and fees and drive up the markets. In the meantime: ETFs ETFs ETFs.
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone in on the SHIB rocket ship? https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/shiba-inu/

Just bought 6 million of them LOL. 
  • Options
    I have a crypto friend bought that about 4 months ago. I did not. He was trying to get me to buy it. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    1 month range LOL, your friend was right!!

• Options
    I've stayed away from crypto, good or bad,, who knows!

• Options
    well..... as of right now... 

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Against my own better judgment I let a buddy talk me into a small Bitcoin investment of $500 almost a year ago. There was beer involved.  :pensive:
    After watching it hit almost $600 shortly after I bought it, as I'd bought it just before the big rise late last winter I've watched it drop to $340 and then bounce around just over or under my initial purchase. I didn't fret a lot, I could afford to lose the $500 but it would certainly burn my a$$.
    I cashed out today and will pocket about $50 after a year. So 10%, not great, but not bad.
    IF I had followed my usual rules and stuck with blue chip dividend paying stocks like the Bank of Montreal that I also bought around the same time it would have been worth about $835 today with dividends or about a 60% gain and I would NEVER even look at it.

My prediction, as governments around the world tighten up on crypto because of the inability to track it, and the environmental impacts of mining it, it will tank.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    October has been a bad month for stocks. Do not own any crypto's, Do have a friend that has made bank on it though. He has his face in front of the stock market and crypto's 4-5 hours a day. Boring!
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Yeah, no betting on crypto's for me either.  October is typically not the best stock month, but this past week has just been crazy good for my stocks!  I could almost afford to let someone else clean my boat! :wink:  But let's not get too crazy!

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    News story this morning that said Bitcoin may rise based on imminent approval for a BTC ETF. But I'm still happy I cashed yesterday. The $50 gain is going to buy me a nice lunch and the extra $500 back in my account will go towards fishing with @randy56 in FLA in February. Win/Win!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    Against my own better judgment I let a buddy talk me into a small Bitcoin investment of $500 almost a year ago. There was beer involved.  :pensive:
    After watching it hit almost $600 shortly after I bought it, as I'd bought it just before the big rise late last winter I've watched it drop to $340 and then bounce around just over or under my initial purchase. I didn't fret a lot, I could afford to lose the $500 but it would certainly burn my a$$.
    I cashed out today and will pocket about $50 after a year. So 10%, not great, but not bad.
    IF I had followed my usual rules and stuck with blue chip dividend paying stocks like the Bank of Montreal that I also bought around the same time it would have been worth about $835 today with dividends or about a 60% gain and I would NEVER even look at it.

My prediction, as governments around the world tighten up on crypto because of the inability to track it, and the environmental impacts of mining it, it will tank.
    When people hear crypto, they typically think Bitcoin, or some kind of risky bet on a digital coin. What they aren't considering is the software part of it ... the blockchain, and the applications possible.

A de-centralized method to securely store and interface with data. 

With SEC having just approved a Bitcoin ETF last week ... I doubt they will crack down now, it will be highly hypocritical. Besides, it's possible for governments to track everything like they want to do ... they just need to have the identity of the wallet owner. In fact, once that is done ... it's WAY easier to track spending and income than with current money ... so I'd say countries may actually adopt BTC ... it's already happening.

But some crypto isn't just about $$, as I stated above, the world is after their block chain software technology. For example, ETH has many applications, including the purchase and ownership of NFCs.

In any case, several long term crypto traders are expecting BTC to go to a new all time high in the next few months. It's only $2.5k from breaking it right now ... and when it does, my guess is it's going to fly up due to short liquidations.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @MarkB Agree blockchain is the future. There will be big money made in Ether, Shib, and many others. Shib is the one my buddy made 150k on. Been watching off and on for a couple years now. Owned ether @ $900 but got scared and sold at $650. Now it's $3600. Some are predicting Bitcoin to go to $250k. Where is that crystal ball anyway. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I'm one of those ones that sit and stare at stock charts all day (4 monitors)...lol. I love it. But yeah September and October are tough months. That said I'm not that up on crypto. I do own a little bitcoin and cardano but that's all. Actually sold my initial investment and pulled that money out so what's left is 'free money'. The market has been choppy lately so day trading is much harder. I did hold IWM calls Thursday night for a gap up and made 219% on it but being higher risk I went in very small so the % was great but the actual profit wouldn't even fill my tank in the boat...lol.
  • Options
    Anyone catch the bitcoin move today ... just made a new ALL TIME HIGH ... USD 67,000.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
  • Options
    randy56 said:
    Yes, the only issue is that it's not physically settled with bitcoin, but cash. So really it's like paper bitcoin (lol) ... similar to paper gold. It's not really a bitcoin but simply a bet on whether bitcoin will go up or down, and then cash settled.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Fridays are nice for 0DTE (same day expiration) options. In many cases you will lose money on them due to theta. Theta is the decrease in value of an options contract over time. So let's say you bought AAPL calls Monday morning that expire Friday and you paid $1.00 ($100/contract). Let's say AAPL doesn't move all week and stays at the same price all week. Tuesday that $100 contract might only be worth $95, Wednesday maybe $85, etc, etc. The closer you get to expiration the faster they drop in value so it's like swimming uptream but if you catch the right one you can make bank. Today I caught AFRM calls at just the right time. Made 140% in just over 4 minutes. But I had about 3 others that didn't move fast enough so that ate into my profits but still ended the day green. I have seen people make 3000% using this method. A guy in my Discord channel made just over $4 million today. Not sure what he traded or how long he was holding whatever it was but he posted a screenshot of his account today
  • Options
    Good day for EV!  My LCID, BYDDY, NIO, & LI are going crazy!

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Hertz Tesla deal or the new Panasonic battery or something else??
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    The Hertz Tesla deal or the new Panasonic battery or something else??

well, the LCID is because they started deliveries for the Lucid car.  I'm going to keep that one for a while and it may actually make enough to buy my next boat. :blush:

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right, I saw that today. I don’t understand why these startups build a sedan first. Nobody wants sedans anymore!!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    stocks went up today but not enough to make up all of October loses. Some of mine went up 9.9% I'll take it.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Tuesdays are tough for me. Made a whole bunch of trades and ended the day -$20.00...lol. A guy in our trading Discord made $4M Friday and $1.7M yesterday. didn't see any screenshots with todays results. I'm happy averaging $50/day...lol