Options

Stock Market

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crashed coin base just now! Couldn't sell! 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Up 73% maybe hold a little longer.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited October 2021
    No..I was up 1001% from when I bought!! But Coinbase crashed during the peak... and no one could buy or sell. Un-freakin believable. 

At this very moment if you bought a year ago you would be up 93196554.0% - this is the craziest thing seen yet! People who bought 1000 bucks last year are now wealthy beyond belief
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    What a great day for LCID!  I've been investing in them since they were a SPAC under CCIV.  Payoff is finally coming after delivery of first 500+ cars.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Looking at BLK Blackrock, anyone have any insight on this one?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭
    I finally got on board with cryptocurrency.  I've watched from the sidelines, a handful of friends make PILES of money over the past 3 years.  I'm starting slow, very slow.  Not going to get greedy.  It will be purely disposable income that is thrown into that bucket...

I've got plenty of stable investments for the future. This will be simply an experiment! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    That's the Smart way to invest in crypto. IMO It's growing.  

There are now over 100,000 people have at least $1 million or more stashed in BTC, according to the cryptocurrency data-tracking firm BitInfoCharts. That figure is up from just 25,000 BTC millionaires four months ago. A year ago, there were only 15,000 millionaire bitcoin accounts. this info was as of Feb, 2021
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Very insightful on the bitcoin. I guess I should catch up with the times and do like lakebum. Just put in a little disposable money.  I've kinda done that in some other stocks already. Some did ok, others not.  Like my CELZ, not good yet, but maybe some day. But, my other was LCID, and it's making up for the CELZ.

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CELZ really pooped the bed
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    We all have dog stock's not so proud of, that's part of it.  at what point do ya cut your loss and move on. 

Congress passed a $1.2 trillion infrastructure package Friday, Perhaps we should take a serious look at the top 5 infrastructure EFT stocks, PAVE,IGF,NFRA, IFRA,GII. 
    Pave seems the be the biggest, any thought's?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got out of BTC just before it went up a few weeks ago ...of course. I made about 12%. Found it a little slow for all the hype. Back into crypto with SHIB. Will play a bit and see what happens.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Well, it's been another crazy week for me, holding tight to my LCID shares.  Lucid became MotorTrend's car of the year.  This one could definitely be paying for my retirement boat!

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice correction on crypto.  My thoughts are we should see one more nice move up ... then a nice big crash. LOL.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited November 2021
    If you have a fidelity account, make 100 bucks in about 30 seconds. https://www.fidelity.com/go/special-offer  Others can make it too, but it's more of a process to sign up

200 % return in 25 days. 
  • Options
    MarkB said:
    Nice correction on crypto.  My thoughts are we should see one more nice move up ... then a nice big crash. LOL.
    Of course.......I just jumped back in last week. Down 18% in 5 days. Hope you're right about the move up. I'm the "reverse investment guru". Whatever I do, do the opposite and you'll be ok. 🙄😂
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard something like if you bought a 70000.00 tesla a few years back or invested the same with the company you'd have millions.

So, from someone who knows so little about making money in the stock market..my aunt recently passed away and left me a little bit of money and stocks- not retirement money but some. She had her investment account with Morgan Stanley  since the early 80's and they seemed to be pretty good for her.  My wife and I have had 401's through work and not investors..while I understand this is probably a watered down way to be in the stock market, would any of you have comments one way or the other? She has home depot stock from the 80's...and the day she passed the value resets and I have no capital gains.. 
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    @rasbury i would say your best bet is to talk to a financial advisor.

As for the TSLA, well if you bought $70,000 in TSLA stock 3 years ago [11/18 high was 66.52 (split corrected)]. For those that don't know, when a companies stock gets too high they will often do a split, say 5:1. So if you owned 100 shares at $1000 each and they decided to do a 5:1 split you would now own 500 shares but they are now only worth $200/share, so you still have the same value of stock. TSLA, AAPL, NVDA and a host of others have all split several times. When you look at a stock chart this is already factored in. Today TSLA is about $1100/share. That is an increase of 1566%. So that $70,000 times that 1566% would be $1.1 million so yeah, that $70,000 would have depreciated to about $40,000? So the buying the stock beats buying the car...lol. FWIW I own TSLA stock I bought a few months ago at about $450/share. Problem is I bought 2 shares and sold 1at about $700...lol. But I'm an options trader. Bought that in my IRA account.

EDIT: I have been day trading for several years and a few years ago there was a guy I was in a trading room with that I talked to often. He had told me that his parents or grandparents passed away and worked for McKesson back in the 50's or so. Well they went to clean out the house and found a bunch of paper stock certificates. They took them to a broker or advisor or someone and found they were worth about $3 million. I guess the parents were given them as part of payroll compensation many moons ago
  • Options
    I'd hold on to the home Depot stock. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Rasbury, I agree with Randy.  Hold on to the HD stock.  I inherited (actually my wife did) some stock in HD, AMAT & a couple others.  HD is doing very well and should continue doing very well for at least the next year.  As for capital gains, what you've inherited is long term, so as long as you leave it in there to grow, you will only have to pay capital gains (not as income).  I also agree with Boatman, you probably should talk to an advisor.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    I am talking with Morgan Stanley, that is who managed the account for almost 30 years....I assume they qualify as a financial advisor...I was asking an opinion on them. I do not enough about this stuff to go it on my own....
  • Options
    Morgan Stanley doesn't operate in Canada but I know of them from my Edward Jones days. A good rep should be able to explain to you in simple layman's terms what is in the portfolio, what it does/how it works and how it fits as far as a growth/income/growth and income. If they are big names you recognize like Home Depot, Johnson and Johnson etc then you're probably all good.
    But....if the first thing they do is recommend it all be sold and buy something else instead, run. The rep is then just trying to "churn" the account to make commission. A "re-balance" might be necessary but only after getting to know you and doing the proper "know your client" interview.
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    MarkB said:
    Of course.......I just jumped back in last week. Down 18% in 5 days. Hope you're right about the move up. I'm the "reverse investment guru". Whatever I do, do the opposite and you'll be ok. 🙄😂
    Let's see, everyone saying US $53k has to hold for BTC, or we in trouble. So far it's okay, but I don't think the downward pressure is over.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Yeah....it's been up and down all day like a new Bride's nightgown......
  • Options
    CRO is going crazy.  Over 200% in 2 weeks......not slowing down. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    CRO is almost 300% in less than 3 weeks.  I don't have much in it, as I said earlier, I am new to this, and just getting my feet wet.  But enjoying playing with this!  There's a couple others that have done well, but none like crypto.com coin!  
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    The stock market has not been good to me in the last 60 days. Maybe it's time to look at this crypto mania. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56 said:
    The stock market has not been good to me in the last 60 days. Maybe it's time to look at this crypto mania. 
    Crypto is in a corrective cycle right now ... some alt coins are selling at a good discount right now. 

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Tell me about it. I'm down 35%🤬
  • Options
    randy56 said:
    Find a trusted friend, who's been in it awhile for guidance. It's overwhelming,  and it is absolutely overrun with scammers.  I have a friend in Phoenix,  who is very in tune with the differences in all the coins and tokens. There is a handful of funds, that are fairly stable, and are still definitely trending upwards. 
    That app that I mentioned awhile back that ruffled so many feathers around here lol....I am using $ from that, to throw at cryptocurrencies.  Passive income, not tied to any of my normal savings/investments. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Lake_Bum please share your results so far on that MLM ! Very curious. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay