Options

Stock Market

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,597 mod
    Wow, I didn't buy any Canadian banks, but I did look after you guys mentioned it earlier this year. My losses were some high risk gambles I took.  But, the year was good and I slowly, well maybe quickly over the year, got a lot into the market and did well. Up probably 13 percent, but that is for all the investment that was put in over the entire year. So, for the average amount in for the year, I was probably closer to 25 to 30 percent.  The next year will really tell how I do since most of what I wanted to invest is is in.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 806 ✭✭✭
    Read from 2 different sources today that Nancy Pelosi has just bought millions in TSLA, RBLX, DIS and GOOG call options. Call it what you want but with her husband in his position and her being a policymaker she is privy to alot of info that most aren't and has done very well and her timing has been pretty good historically. I'm keeping an eye on them and actually bought 1 TSLA call and 1 DIS call today based on that. The TSLA expires in June 2022 and the DIS in January 2023. Will look to add to them as they move up but will cut them if they start falling too far. This is out of my element since I only trade charts but figure it's worth a shot here...lol
  • Options
    Anyone have thoughts on how the market is going to behave this year?  It looks like the feds are going to try 2 or 3 hikes.  I feel that we'll have an average gain year around 8% for the indices.  I believe it'll be a make or break year for some of the EVs.  Still not sure what to think about what'll happen in China. They are lowering their borrow rates while ours go up.  Will that mean some of their money will come out of our markets?

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed on the EVs.  No predictions but watching from the sidelines!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    I don't know about Santa, but it's been a good year. My financials have brought in between 40 to 60% over the last 14 months. All large Canadian banks. Health and Life insurance company 26%. Grocery and Consumer Goods 18-24%. Health/Pharma 18%.
    Worst performer was Energy/Oil at 10.5%. No losses for the year. 
    I'll take those returns anytime. Never touch it, look at it a couple of times a year. Sleep at night. 
    It's about time @Willhound
    CDN financials were flat for the previous few years. Pretty much all CDN stuff was in limbo while the US rocketed along.
    Glad to see it pick up its feet - finally.

Time for a change in leadership.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Anyone buying today?  I purchased quite a bit today.  Only time will tell if it is a good move.  I will say that most of my gains from last year are gone.  Uggh! (never gone if I don't sell, right?)

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here all gains are gone. got to where I don't even want to long on and take a look. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure happy I got out of the tiny bit of crypto I had. Has tanked.
    After 16 months my Canadian banks have gone up 60 to 65%. Wish I'd bought more. Has put me into a spot where I should have my "F you" amount in reach much sooner.
    For those of you in the States a number of our big banks trade on the NYSE or you might be able to trade on the TSE and take advantage of an immediate 25% gain on exchange. Keeping in mind it goes both ways when you cash out. Our banks are tightly controlled in regards to risk and keeping asset levels high, so it lets you sleep at night. Not going to see a Lehman Brothers scenario here.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    That is really awesome @Willhound!  I'm looking forward to that "amount" as well :smile:

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only have F me money  :/
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 955 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I look at crypto completely different.  I bought more yesterday.  
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Lake_Bum said:
    That is the way I've been looking at my stocks as well.  If it has gone down quite a bit (& feeling the stock is a bargain) then I'll buy more.  AMAT was one that I bought more shares of yesterday at 131 SP.  By end of day it was in the green at 139.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lake_Bum said:
    Yes for sure, it's good to buy the dip, but where's the bottom?

I suspect there will be another try by the bears on Thursday or Friday ... because that's when the futures contract closes (on last Friday of every month).

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No doubt the best time to buy is when the market is down. When it comes to crypto I just don't have the stomach for it. Too volatile and I neither have the time or ability to watch it constantly every day. Not unhappy I played in it, just happy I got my $$ out with a small profit. My personal belief is that several governments, especially China, will place  controls on crypto because it's too difficult to trace for criminal activity and taxes. If that happens, it will free fall to oblivion. If you think, "so what, it's only China" keep in mind that their GDP is only $6 Trillion behind the US currently and is expected to surpass within the next 6 to 8 years. Again, just my personal thoughts.
    Here is an interesting story on how social media has affected the stock market (think GME) and how it has the attention of securities regulators as they are seeing patterns of a few well placed social media types playing the unsophisticated investors as "rubes" to build up the price and then bailing out, crashing the price. I have no doubt that is what is happening. This is an Ontario based story, but applies I think for everyone.
    I also have no doubt that the market regulators will be watching/investigating some of the online  "guru's" that have large numbers of followers as it is illegal (in Canada anyway, and I believe the US) to project yourself as offering financial advise if not properly trained and licensed. It can be argued that social media and sites like Reddit are a "community of peers" that are simply sharing information so it'll be interesting to see how that all plays out.
    https://globalnews.ca/news/8534763/social-media-has-changed-the-stock-market-game-why-regulators-are-paying-attention/

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Like @MarkB said, where is the bottom? Be careful of a dead cat bounce. Ideally I'd like to see the major indexes climb just a little more by Friday then next week break this week highs (go 2 up to give a 2-2 reversal on the weekly for anyone that might follow the strat). That would give us a bullish reversal on the weekly chart. We would still be down on the month but we have to reverse on the shorter timeframes first.
  • Options
    I have started to get a little more aggressive in Crypto, and it's paying off so far.  The more I study it, the more I like it.  There are several that are solid funds, and you can earn an additional 12.5% weekly, utilizing the lock feature.   I'm still not jumping into the deep end, but I really like it. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Crypto has done great last few days ... seems that USD 33k was the bottom for bitcoin ... we're not completely out of the woods, but we could be seeing the start of a new bull cycle.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Still have not jumped into crypto, have been reading up on it. Not scared. Did pick up a couple new stocks. TLRY and PHUN.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I have about $150 with another brokerage that I dabbled in trading Forex but gave up on it. Think I'm gonna dump that $150 in BTC and forget about it. If I lose it who cares. And I have a little BTC, ADA, and Shiba in another account
  • Options
    I have not done any crypto.  I just don't know enough about it to 'invest' anything in it.  It is very interesting though.  I have learned my lesson with some stupid investments I made last year that I'm starting to pull out as losses (before they are in for a full year) that'll offset some gains for taxes.  

Randy, those stocks look interesting.  Definitely a gamble for sure, but could be a large upside.  PHUN looks like something that could get bought out if it does well.  TLRY, I had thought about cannabis investment a few years ago but not sure that my current job allows me to invest in it.  So, I thought I wouldn't push my luck.  That one sure has gone down over the last year or so.

I'm probably a little too heavy in AMAT, as I invested a bunch more on the recent dip when it went back in the 120's.  I also invested more in Visa last November when it was down.  I think it still has a bit more room for growth.

• Options
    randy56 said:
    Still have not jumped into crypto, have been reading up on it. Not scared. Did pick up a couple new stocks. TLRY and PHUN.
    Look at litecoin (LTC) it's going through some good upgrades over the next few months, and we think it's going to run pretty good. It's up about 35% since last week.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    @boatman37 I don't know how to short, and not willing to learn. But PHUN went up 16% today. maybe you could gain from it. I think it's going to run. Look at the past on that one. Dark pool is in it heavy. 33,600,000 shares traded today.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56 said:
    @boatman37 I don't know how to short, and not willing to learn. But PHUN went up 16% today. maybe you could gain from it. I think it's going to run. Look at the past on that one. Dark pool is in it heavy. 33,600,000 shares traded today.

I trade options so don't actually short stocks. In fact I can't short in either of my accounts. Just looked at it. There is options on it but it's only a $3 stock. I avoid those. Never did well with them. I did buy PTON common shares this morning before market open at about 8:15 AM. They had earnings at 8:30 and the CEO just resigned and the daily chart looked good. It went up about 30% or so today. I sold about 40% of the shares I bought so still holding some
  • Options
    No problem. I just know you guy's make money going up and going down. Rumer's have been flying around , POTN may get bought out. I'm happy you made $$$ 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    @boatman37. Do you do puts and calls?
  • Options
    Looks like you are currently up 25% on POTN in just a couple hours. Not a bad gain!

• Options
    The theories are similar on stocks and crypto as far as the buying/selling strategies.  There are a handful of "solid" funds like MarkB mentioned above.  I am learning more daily, watching and reading a LOT.   
    It isn't going anywhere, and is being used by Governments around the world.  Ours is still attempting to control it, but that's not going to work, and they HATE watching all the investors slide money from Stocks to Crypto....
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    @boatman37. Do you do puts and calls?

Yep. calls and puts. Typically same week expiration and only hold for 5 minutes or so but do hold a few days in my other account. I also have common shares in that account. I had bought 25 shares of PTON just under $30 and sold 10 at about $38. Not a huge amount $ wise but great % wise.
  • Options
    @Lake_Bum Just finished a paper back, Sweet Life of Bitcoin. Interesting read. Crypto is here to stay.  The author did mention in his book. NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH. hahaha

In the back of the book is a copy of the white paper from the inventor of bitcoin, and how he described the lay out, of peer to peer electronic cash system.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Well, it was nice to see a good comeback yesterday in the market.  & most of my picks are still green today as well.  Anyone looking at oil, my SLB has given me 75% in the last year.  I only wish I had bought even more, but still not bad with over 500 shares.  I also have some in SUN & NRG.  I think the oil ones will still go up and hold for a bit (like a year or two).  AMAT is reporting earnings today after close.  That'll be interesting.