Options

So what do we think about this for a liveaboard..

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    Does the 270 have a covered cockpit? Because that's my liveaboard for now!! Seems to work just fine.. 

My dream boat is still the sea ray 370 venture. Going to have to save up and just get that in a few years. 
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    Take a look for yourself. She's a beaut! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_oeXS4kp-I 

Post edited by J3ff on
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have the camper pck. for the 270? It's a game changer if not...at least at the dock.
  • Options
    Yes, but it's too hot to use it! 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    Gas engines for that size, not for me.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Ian said:
    Gas engines for that size, not for me.
    It's not our money 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Just be careful, that same person has 3 other boats for sale on craigslist.  They may either be scamming, or buying, fixing up & selling, or whatever else.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited October 2022
    J3ff said:
    Yes, but it's too hot to use it! 
    I bought a stand alone a/c unit that at least at the doc would freeze that out.  Not sure what the amps need is. It does have a drain and it does need a place to exhaust but that's a tube not an a/c hanging out your window! When I got my enclosure completed it went from spending the night in your convertible to a small condo on the water...with it all opened up its not any hotter than when it's off- I enjoy it.
  • Options
    What a neat boat! I wish they were better at taking pictures- I'm south of there and would love to go look at it.
  • Options
    This one is a little more realistic..although it's currently priced as if corona is still a thing..comparable boats are from 34k to 50k.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/349688752411197/permalink/1078874312825967/?sale_post_id=1078874312825967

I do like the layout, full shower, and it's only 33 feet long?? Not bad. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    $70k for a 29-year-old Carver?  "It's a bold strategy, Cotton.  Let's see if it pays off." 
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    $70k for a 29-year-old Carver?  "It's a bold strategy, Cotton.  Let's see if it pays off." 
    Ya, if anything, seeing how nice this one looks, makes me think about buying something cheap that needs work and just copying the exact same design..  :D 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Have you looked at the maritime 32 inch cruisers?  

They are aluminum hull so light weight, despite having big Chrysler v8s they are fast and can be economical if you put out with them.  

@11,000 lbs. Aluminum hull (welder can easily do outboard conversion with pontoons under swim platform)

Come in sedan and fly bridge models 
  • Options
    Last weekend I was down getting ready to go out fishing on my son's boat and a guy came up to me asking if I wanted a boat.  I wasn't real curious, as I needed another boat like I needed...well, you know.  Then he said he bought the boat in the spring for $10k, has receipts of over $9k in it & was selling it today to the first person that gave him $5k.  I became slightly interested, but still knew not to look in it.  I saw it from the outside.  It was an older, probably late 90's, 33' Wellcraft.  The outside looked to be in pristine shape, except the bottom needed cleaned.  Was inboard, so that can be a plus for some.  Isenglass was usable.  He said the boat ran well and just installed new water pumps.  He was selling because he has been replacing stuff all summer and got in over his head.  LOL!

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    There's going to be a lot more of that over the next year. Hold tight, as interest rates rise and people get jittery about the economy (most of whom get their "information" from places like FB and really don't know what's going on) the fire sales are coming.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭

They are aluminum hull so light weight, despite having big Chrysler v8s they are fast and can be economical if you put out with them.  

@11,000 lbs. Aluminum hull (welder can easily do outboard conversion with pontoons under swim platform)

There are a couple of these Marienette’s at our club. Nice vessel but the light weight poses some challenges - roll and wind.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    edited November 2022
    Ian said:

There are a couple of these Marienette’s at our club. Nice vessel but the light weight poses some challenges - roll and wind.
    Less of an issue if you live on it at a dock and can be picky about always going out in perfect weather.  

His pics are a constant reminder of it being 88 and sunny when it's 50 and raining here.

The 28s are nice too.  7000 lbs and 11ft beam.

Not sure I'd want one in a fly bridge because of that rolling issue.  
  • Options
    Ian said:

Less of an issue if you live on it at a dock and can be picky about always going out in perfect weather.  

His pics are a constant reminder of it being 88 and sunny when it's 50 and raining here.

The 28s are nice too.  7000 lbs and 11ft beam.

Not sure I'd want one in a fly bridge because of that rolling issue.  
    LoL, I go out on rough days sometimes, but don't really take photos of that... you bring up a funny point. Up in the North we went out in weather all the time, as long as it wasn't too rainy. Days were limited up there.. now I only go out on windy days if company is visiting and time is limited. Used to make fun of fairweather boaters.. now I'm basically one of those!
  • Options
    I absolutely am a fair weather boater- when you can boat year round going put in bad weather is not an option...
  • Options
    Yup, it's supposed to be a rainy weekend. Down here we use those to catch up on things that normal people do regularly.. can't do chores when you're out boating every weekend!!
  • Options
    I should be able to get back in the water around the end of the year I hope....
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    https://louisville.craigslist.org/boa/d/shepherdsville-1988-marinette-express/7556315851.html

I don't know why I like the lines of these boats so much.  The interior is extremely dated but from what appears to be a turn key boat for this price, gutting the interior would not be a deal breaker.  It is light for a 32 footer but I don't think many of us would be willing to take any cruiser willingly into 4ft wave forecasts.  
  • Options
    That's a good bargain if the ad is accurate (and the hull has no corrosion issues).  
  • Options
    edited December 2022
    It also appears to have Chevy small blocks vs the usual Chrysler motors found in these boats.  Between their simplicity, YouTube and Google, there's not much you can't diy to them so long as it's not an internal issue.  Even then, Chevy 350 short blocks are a dime a dozen. 

12 ft beam means she's very roomy on deck for "entertainment".  I could fish with my kid without him crossing my line and a single guy like Jeff could pack so many women on board.   It's a shame these don't have an aft cabin at that size.
  • Options
    So the hull is aluminum? Moving it would not be cheap I'm sure...cool boat for tye price. 
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    So the hull is aluminum? Moving it would not be cheap I'm sure...cool boat for tye price. 
    Yes, aluminum hull.  Built during a time where blistering was an issue with Tupperware boats.   Rated @6 tons
  • Options
    Check this classic '85 Chris-Craft Constellation 50.  At $89k, it's a bit more spendy than some of the boats we've discussed in this thread, but well-kept and tons of room.  Never seen a huge swim platform like that on an old Chris-Craft.  Trustworthy broker (Curtis Stokes).

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1985-chris--craft-constellation-500-8551909/
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Check this classic '85 Chris-Craft Constellation 50.  At $89k, it's a bit more spendy than some of the boats we've discussed in this thread, but well-kept and tons of room.  Never seen a huge swim platform like that on an old Chris-Craft.  Trustworthy broker (Curtis Stokes).

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1985-chris--craft-constellation-500-8551909/

Not a bad looking boat!  Lots of new stuff in it as well.  That swim platform is crazy!

• Options
    All these big boats going cheap has me seriously considering a slip next season