Options

So what do we think about this for a liveaboard..

123457»

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    Unlikely it would not to be realigned? I need to check mine...
    I would bet that the mechanic who put replaced the bellows this past august didn't do it correctly and there's water leaking in...yes I realize that means more parts might need to be replaced. At this point it is what it is. As usual I will have things fixed with correct parts or better than OEM... the new person I spoke with had the same instant reaction.. 

It doesn't help the previous mechanics case that the exhaust bellow popped off a month or two ago AND he had to buy two sets of bellows because he destroyed the first. 

Will have a report in a couple weeks. Going to go see friends and family up north for a while.. I did look back there and dont see any leaks or water coming in, also have a camera down there with a high water alarm and the bilge has been dry for months! (We get very little rain down here over the winter time). 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have had some bad work done it sounds like...
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    rasbury said:
    You have had some bad work done it sounds like...
    Well, that's the problem with I/O's down here, and even up North.. seems like they are just too complicated. For a guy like me, who bounces around constantly, from place to place, there is no garage to store tools or even any place to work on things. Even for a simple job like changing the rear fluid in the differential of his truck. I "live" in some of the most amazing places in South Florida.. but none of them are mine and a stain on the driveway would be a major problem.

Just saying that's why I have to rely on other folks for their expertise. I've been through 3 different mechanics so far in the keys, and while the latest one is actually a good guy and has tried his best, obviously it's outside of his scope if the gimbal bearing is making noise not even 6 months after he replaced it, aligned the engine and replaced the bellows. Maybe it's just a fluke. I asked him if he was up to check it out and he wanted me to bring the boat somewhere 30 miles North. Told him I dont think it would make it and that's the last I've heard from him. It's all good, he tried, and cant offer what I need. No worries on that. 

It's okay, I'm used to this punishment now. Really looking forward to the dry stack experience. It will be nice to not have to scrub the drive every week. As mentioned, the place I am taking the boat to also has wet slips and as a dry stack customer you can get a wet slip here and there for the weekend for minimal cost..  you can also have the boat put in a work rack at anytime and do some work yourself. 

The first thing she's getting from me is a nice power wash.. she's been in for 5 months and is ready for a nice fresh water flush and cleaning.  Not having to worry about repainting in 6 months is also a great benefit. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I get my alignment checked every year in March. It’s not cheap having boat pulled just for that but, I’m always happy if the bill is only a grand. I’m at the mercy of paying to get it pulled but my mechanic is awesome and checks everything out.  It’s worth it to me since I have a heavy boat for I/Os and not have to worry thru the summer.  

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn any reason why? I pulled my motors and replaced my transom assemblies and alignment was nearly perfect afterward. The gimbal seems to have at least 1/4” adjustment on both x and y axis - not sure how a motor could move that much during the normal course of boating unless the mounts went bad?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    I had many bad years of issues with the drives.  3 years ago my alignment was so far off that they couldn’t get the drive off.  To me, it’s cheap assurance that things look good for the summer.  It’s just a little more than a half tank of fuel. 😏

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    I can't see pulling every year, maybe I'm not OCD.  I've only ever owned older boats, boats most would walk away from as neglected.  I've only experienced alignment issues from rotted transom/motor mounts or squished rear engine mount bushings. 

I would like to assume that checking alignment every 3 to 5 years when you replace bellows/gimbal would be sufficient.  

That being said my current boat is my first bravo, new alphas from sei are less than 2k.  You can't pay a mechanic 2k to tear down and spit on a bravo. 
  • Options
    I think with the bigger boats with I/Os on them, it comes down to the fact that they are just big heavy boats relying on that outdrive to take the brunt of the force. Any little misalignment or problem is just magnified at this point.
  • Options
    Are you fat shaming my Bayliner?  
  • Options
    Those are your words, not mine  :D
  • Options
    5 tons just means she has a big heart.
  • Options
    5 tons just means she has a big heart.
    12 tons must mean she has an even bigger heart! ❤️

• Options
    She'd better have a big heart to support all that weight 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    Not my cup of tea.  You wouldn’t want to raft up because you couldn’t put the sides down and no swim platform which is a huge no buy for me.  But, that’s why they make boats with all the different options.

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it’s interesting when boats have both a thruster and joystick. 

What’s with the resurgence of big bow riders these days? I remember the Four Winns H350. Couldn’t give one away back in the day. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    You don't need to raft up on a yacht like that, you invite them all onto your yacht.   Maybe they'll kick in some cash for fuel so you can afford to leave the marina.    
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    I really don't have anything to add to this thread, other then the fact I have loved reading it.  Boats are boats.....and we all love em! 
    2000 Captiva 232