Options

So what do we think about this for a liveaboard..

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    I think you're correct about the 33 vs 38; there is an extended swim platform (shown on the 2004 in the UK above) that is really awesome.  My boat neighbor has the 330 SE and his boat LOA isn't much different from my 37' LOA due to the platform.  It has to be 24" deeper than mine at least!

The aft cabin is quite 'cozy'.
    Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, That aft cabin is a MAJOR downgrade from the 370 venture, but, this boat also isn't out of reach, especially the 50k one in MA
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I must be spoiled or just blinded by my love for Rinkers. I am not a fan of Searay at all. That Venture (IMHO) yuck. I haven't seen it in person but judging from the pictures those OB take up a ton of space and I don't like the layout of the cabin. Not a fan of the SR hull design. My club has a ton of those 320 Sundancers and I will tell you they are garbage. They are loud, they rattle, they porpoise, and they ride like crap. I also have been on a 37 Doral many times and found them to be poorly made. Many fiberglass problems and they "slap" the water instead of cutting it.............. Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    I must be spoiled or just blinded by my love for Rinkers. I am not a fan of Searay at all. That Venture (IMHO) yuck. I haven't seen it in person but judging from the pictures those OB take up a ton of space and I don't like the layout of the cabin. Not a fan of the SR hull design. My club has a ton of those 320 Sundancers and I will tell you they are garbage. They are loud, they rattle, they porpoise, and they ride like crap. I also have been on a 37 Doral many times and found them to be poorly made. Many fiberglass problems and they "slap" the water instead of cutting it.............. Just say'n
    Always appreciate different opinions! I as well I'm not a super fan of sundancers. However, the venture completely satisfies the requirements of being a small apartment. Especially when you factor in that the marina I am at has multiple private bathrooms and showers.

As far as the space the outboards take up, that part really doesn't matter to me as long as I have enough space downstairs to live comfortably and some space upstairs to hang out, with a big swim platform for diving and snorkeling, and the least amount possible of hassle.

At this point I'm in a standstill, trying to decide whether to take up the option of living on land or not. It's amazing because many people would just jump at this opportunity, but the water and the boat is really a keystone of life down here for me. The Doral looks nice and if I can find one around here for about 50k that would probably be the next move up on a boat. However that would increase slip fees by a few hundred dollars a month and I would lose my prime spot at the marina. Lots of things to consider here. Keep the thoughts coming, at minimum at least it's entertaining all of you during your winter hibernation!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I lived on my 342 for almost a full year. Personally I would not want to go up to the my club to shower or for restrooms. Living alone on the boat really worked out well for me while I went through my divorce. I am now remarried (no comments please...lol) and when we go away on the boat its still big enough to be comfortable.  So IMO the separate shower is a must. A good head is a must. A good stove is a must. Most of everything else you would have to work around but very doable.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Friend of ours has the Doral 33 and loves it. Great layout, they entertain on it a lot and they spend all of their weekends aboard. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn’t someone on the forum recently buy a Doral? Maybe a year or two ago?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I just searched the forum. @reneechris14 had one!
    2008 330EC
  • Options

@J3ff your search is over! You’re welcome!! ⚓️

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Loving the listing, and the effort spent to stage the vessel.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1976-winner-sports-fisherman-7881372/

1976 Winner Sports Fisherman
    This is a very unusual boat.  Everyone calls it the Spa Boat. And yes, it does have one!
    Notable Features:
    • NEW 115 HP Suzuki Outboard
    • Vita 6-Person Hot Tub with hard cover aft deck conversion
    • Kuuma hot water system
    • Marine MSD with holding tank
    • 35 Gak Fresh Water
    • 20 Gal fuel tank
    • 2019 survey
  • Options
    Put a hard cover over the tub and use it as a normal boat as well, pretty cool!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    That 115 hp motor is a dingy motor on that boat! But I do dig the innovation that went into that build. Dude worked with what he had.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    The interior lighting is stunning ... I'm sure yacht builders will take notice.  
  • Options
    Beautiful day on the boat today..everyone else freezing, I'm loving it. Water keeps the floor warm so it feels like you've got a heated floor!

The living on land opportunity has passed, for now.. that's okay, def didn't want to give up the boat life!!  I suppose the Doral 33 is the more realistic move forward. Not sure the 90k one in FL is worth it.. but also don't care to bring the 50k one down from MASS...  
  • Options
    I think most Dorals are in the Great Lakes region.  You'll see more listings when the ice starts to thaw.  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    I think most Dorals are in the Great Lakes region.  You'll see more listings when the ice starts to thaw.  
    Likely because they were Canadian made in Grand Mere Quebec and there were a lot of Doral dealers here. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a house! What's a 60 foot slip go for in Key West??😆
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/boa/d/little-river-2016-cutwater-le/7577668445.html

Seems a little over priced for a 28 footer but I love the lay out of these boats
  • Options
    @PickleRick a close family friend of ours had the exact boat. Sadly he passed away and the family sold it. We were interested but couldn’t justify the price at the time.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Now that’s one pretty engine room!

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Funny how things change fast. There may be a change of career on the horizon.. One which would change the day job to one with the word Remote in the title ... If that comes to fruition it will happen in the next 4 or 5 months. At the same time it will be time to upgrade to a house boat with a home office. That 60 ft Giant a few posts up would definitely fulfill that need and at a great price to boot! Not sure that it would be worth docking it anywhere, however as all of you know something like that on the hook in the Florida Bay probably between key largo and Marathon somewhere might work. Having that anchored off of a place called Mangrove Marina and its little protected cove, with a 20-ft center console hanging off the back sounds like a pretty nice path to explore.
  • Options
    Interesting.  If you decide to live on the hook, how would you manage pumpouts, internet access, and fresh water refills?  I've heard that some places in FL are cracking down on anchored liveaboards.  Would that affect you?
  • Options
    @LaRea I thought Floridians just pumped their poo overboard. A reverse osmosis desalinator and 5G internet and @J3ff is good to go. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now now..I hear there are services that come around and pump out...
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/boa/d/little-river-2016-cutwater-le/7577668445.html

Seems a little over priced for a 28 footer but I love the lay out of these boats
    That is a great layout in 28'. I'm more interested in the upper deck lay out than below in this size boat- which is what drew me to our 270.
  • Options
    Hmmm. I wonder if this guy would just give me his problem for free? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/732089654889991/

I do see some potential there... 
  • Options
    Cool find -- I didn't know Cruisers made a forward dinette layout.  But that boat looks rough, and for that price, probably hasn't been underway in years.  Here's one for $63k that looks like a well-kept, seaworthy boat:
    https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1995-cruisers-3570-esprit-8389495/
  • Options
    I love the fact that the one for $20k titled the ad for his Cruisers "Cruisemaster". Could be auto correct, funny either way

• Options
    Have been thinking about this boat since I posted it. I suppose I could make an offer of 5k assuming it's at least not leaking water from anywhere and the transom isn't rotten. I feel like I would be paying $5,000 to take all of whatever the problems are of this boat off of his shoulders. Funny enough it does fulfill a couple needs and requirements that I've listed out in this thread. It is also very close to my home base. Decisions decisions. Even if my job changes and it ends up being some kind of remote work that requires travel I do think I will end up still having a base of operations in the keys as every morning I'm reminded about how nice it is to be here. This morning the news guy is talking about treacherous ice and cold conditions in the south, while the rest of us down here are putting on our short sleeve shirts and shorts getting ready for work.