Options

So what do we think about this for a liveaboard..

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously I love cruisers yachts, love my boat. They are cored hulls. This has a lot of advantages in stiffness and weight savings but of course the one negative is what happens once there is water intrusion. I don’t know exactly how this 1995 boat was built. On my 2007 the entire engine room is solid glass so most thru hulls are in that solid glass. The thru hull forward has a 12” circle of solid glass around the thru hull which you can visually see on the interior in how it’s laid. No thru hulls go through core. I believe that cruisers went to the solid glass around thru hulls around 2002 or 2003 but I am not 100%. Definitely something to look in to, I’ve called cruisers a few times with questions as I do projects and they are usually awesome about answering them. If the thru hills are through core, then it just comes to the survey. Minor intrusion is an easy fix, major and wide spread of course is another story. Good luck. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    I've had a cruisers boat as well, enjoyed it and do miss it. Seeing what it can look like has me interested, especially since my Rinker I/O just recently started making a noise that sounds like the gimbal bearing is getting worn out again.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZxlGAVCUFM she looks nice when she's kept in shape. 

Looking at the 20k facebook one.
    The first thing I would do would be to remove all of that top covering, the boat would be free to feel the wind and weather.. removing ALL of that, aside from the regular bimini would be #1.Product photo of 35 foot Cruisemaster

She's got some nice flooring going on...
    Product photo of 35 foot Cruisemaster

Bummer about the chip of wood missing on the step.. 

The brown stain above where your head would go isn't great. Means that someone was probably smoking a LOT in this boat. 

• Options
    it's a little awkard of a setup... however, the space upgrade would be nice.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT5Zvm_4Ldw
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    I've had a cruisers boat as well, enjoyed it and do miss it. Seeing what it can look like has me interested, especially since my Rinker I/O just recently started making a noise that sounds like the gimbal bearing is getting worn out again.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZxlGAVCUFM she looks nice when she's kept in shape. 

Looking at the 20k facebook one.
    The first thing I would do would be to remove all of that top covering, the boat would be free to feel the wind and weather.. removing ALL of that, aside from the regular bimini would be #1.Product photo of 35 foot Cruisemaster

She's got some nice flooring going on...

Bummer about the chip of wood missing on the step.. 

The brown stain above where your head would go isn't great. Means that someone was probably smoking a LOT in this boat. 

Thinking about this a little more, I wonder how involved it would be to rotate that bed a little bit less than 90° to the right. That would make the headboard but right up against that back wall and free up some space at the bottom of the bed the way that it currently sits. Hmm. I did message the seller and have not heard back yet.
  • Options
    It definitely has a nice floor, thats a nice upgrade!

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Another caution flag:  the toilet has a seat riser, which means the owner had limited mobility.  That, along with the low price, suggests there might be a lot of deferred maintenance.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Another caution flag:  the toilet has a seat riser, which means the owner had limited mobility.  That, along with the low price, suggests there might be a lot of deferred maintenance.  
    Or he’s just really tall.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 138 ✭✭
    Surplus 2011 Wellcraft Pleasure Yacht in Panama, Panama (GovPlanet Item #8170278)
    No clue what it would sell for but it could be a good adventure bringing it home
    2002 180      Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestion, need a table up front and bed in the back...

I sent the seller two messages, that didn't get returned, 3rd and final message just sent asking to come see it tomorrow.

If anything it's fun to see a model in this range, with a table up front, that isn't an I/O and looks pretty nice to fulfill the needs. Lots of things happening at once here, but my current 270 may be up for sale in April.  May throw it in the shop for a week and get some things changed out in prep for a sale, even though they aren't needed just yet.. will see how it goes but that boat or at least the model, (the 35ish cruisers) is looking great for a move up opportunity. 
  • Options
    Went and took a look, the boat "hasn't been run for a year but fires right up"... while this particular boat probably will not get any money from me, it does put it at the top of the list to find one and buy. 

If it was clean and nice looking... I'd be all over it, especially for 35k, this one would be mine if it was not sold. 

https://intracoastalyachtsales.com/brokerage-listings/1996-cruisers-3570-esprit-6770309

• Options
    OKAY, so if the outboard planned is abandoned. Lets talk about ANY boat that is a straight shaft inboard or v drive inboard..

1st requirement, is a stand up shower that a person who is 6ft can stand up in. 

2nd requirement is 100k or less. 

3rd, preferred, BUT NOT REQUIRED table up front. 

That just changed the game to 1000 different boats. 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you finally put shower on (and near the top of) your list!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    YYZRC said:
    It has always been high up there. Now it's #1.. after just giving in on not having a table up front and allowing for a bed while at the same time saying "FINE outboards in this kind of boat are too expensive, inboards it is".

I will also add that I'm on my 270 now after enjoying a beautiful day in the keys and a fun weekend on her. 

Unfortunately the gimbal bearing is chugging like a train.. even though it was replaced in August, along with the bellows, by a mechanic that charged real money for it.. 

At this point there is a fully certified merc dealership here who has the rating to work on I/O's - it's just in a very expensive place and it will be pricey to have them work on it. The boat needs to come out, get the bearing and bellows changed, hopefully no other damage and then it's going on the market. 

I have put an amazing amount of time and money into this, and the keys just keep producing mechanics that don't have what it takes to work on this boat. 

• Options
    Ever look at Egg Harbor? Older convertible sportfish style boats could fit just about all requirements (without me reading through every post)
  • Options
    What about a v drive 342?

• Options
    Taking a look right now. 
  • Options
    Would need to see one in person.. not impressed by the pictures of the cabin, although the shower is top notch!

If we're going back to the drawing board, this is amazing looking on the interior.. 

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2003-silverton-35-motor-yacht-8341669/

• Options
    And then why not just go older.. https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1985-silverton-40-8678651/

Gotta love getting sucked into the vortex.. 
  • Options
    https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/1988-viking-48-convertible-sportfish-8478177/

To me I could not do the aft cabin boats like that. Sure they are roomy, but the looks do absolutely nothing for me and they are slow. If money were no object, I’d be looking at https://www.weaverboatworks.com/ for nice classic lines. But then I would have to dredge basically my entire creek to get it to the dock, buy the land on the other side just to have room to turn around, and probably upgrade my shore power. 
  • Options
    I really like that boat!! 
  • Options
    I'm good at spending other people's money    :D
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    This is one I thought about going to look at since it is right down the road.  I really like the layout, but price is a bit higher than I want for my next boat.  I've never seen a layout as nice!!  Anyone know much about Selene's?  

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2008-selene-53-pilothouse-8669604/

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    DI that seems like a decent price for a boat with more space and features than a lot of 65s.  Of course, the 5'9" draft would keep you out of some interesting places.  
  • Options
    I was thinking the same on the price. She is 15 years old though. Awesome boat! 

• Options
    I think the price of the Selene has a lot to do with the propulsion. 5.9's are a soild engine, but not sure how they would push a vessel of that size.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I agree Rich, I have more horsepower in my current boat.  With a boat like that, the journey itself is ok if it's a little slower though.  Those motors would be extremely reliable and easy to maintain, especially in that nice clean engine room that can be accessed from the full width master.  That 5'9" draft is a bit much, but would sure keep her stable.  The day I go bigger, I need to be ready to not have a boat on a lift, probably require more draft, and probably go slower.  All 3 of those are big things holding me up. The admiral said we need to start looking though, even if it takes several years or more. It's fun to dream for a while!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Ohhhhhh yeahhhhhh, that engine room looks cleaner than mine!   :p

That's a displacement hull.  She could cruise from Boston to Cuba on one tank of fuel.  But if you double the horsepower, it wouldn't change the cruise speed.  
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    J3ff said:
    YYZRC said:
    It has always been high up there. Now it's #1.. after just giving in on not having a table up front and allowing for a bed while at the same time saying "FINE outboards in this kind of boat are too expensive, inboards it is".

I will also add that I'm on my 270 now after enjoying a beautiful day in the keys and a fun weekend on her. 

Unfortunately the gimbal bearing is chugging like a train.. even though it was replaced in August, along with the bellows, by a mechanic that charged real money for it.. 

At this point there is a fully certified merc dealership here who has the rating to work on I/O's - it's just in a very expensive place and it will be pricey to have them work on it. The boat needs to come out, get the bearing and bellows changed, hopefully no other damage and then it's going on the market. 

I have put an amazing amount of time and money into this, and the keys just keep producing mechanics that don't have what it takes to work on this boat. 

Didn't you buy the alignment and drive bar to install a gimbal bearing?  If just doing the bellow and bearing it will likely take longer getting to and from the ramp than it will to diy the bearing IF the motor doesn't need alignment.  

If you need the removal tool I'll gladly let you borrow it at the cost of shipping. 

But you shouldn't be going through bearings so often.  My dad's 98 pontoon with alpha one never leaves the lake during the summer months, I'm not sure the gimbal has ever been changed, he isn't interested in preventative measures to change it.  They've owned it nearly a decade now 
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    YYZRC said:

Didn't you buy the alignment and drive bar to install a gimbal bearing?  If just doing the bellow and bearing it will likely take longer getting to and from the ramp than it will to diy the bearing IF the motor doesn't need alignment.  

If you need the removal tool I'll gladly let you borrow it at the cost of shipping. 

But you shouldn't be going through bearings so often.  My dad's 98 pontoon with alpha one never leaves the lake during the summer months, I'm not sure the gimbal has ever been changed, he isn't interested in preventative measures to change it.  They've owned it nearly a decade now 
    This boat has had more attention than any thing I know.. the last mechanic said he knew what he was doing.. starting to doubt it now.. although he did seem to get the alignment correct. 

It's all good, I found a guy who does come highly recommended for I/O's and he's going to take care of it. Also switching from an in water slip to a rack storage solution. I have a week off coming up.. the rack storage is 624 a month with fees and taxes...

If you get the boat pulled it's roughly 450 for lifting out, blocking, etc... and then it was 45 a day for everyday it sits in the work rack. 

If you are a rack storage customer there is no additional charge for the work rack or anything... so I'm going to power wash the **** out of it, have the "new experienced" mechanic address the gimbal bearing and bellows (both replaced this past sept) with NEW of both bearing and bellows and anything else that's needed and just be a rack storage person for a month or two, the marina I'm at has slips you can use if you want for additional charge, but I think at this point I'll just try overnights on the hook on the weekends.. might be kind of fun. 

Probably will be up for sale in April, after multiple friends and family members will have been down in March for some fun. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unlikely it would not to be realigned? I need to check mine...