Options

Looking at buying a 2004 Fiesta Vee 270 - what to watch out for?

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    I think you killed it!
    Well good, I'm glad someone thinks so! I'm happy with the boat and it has allowed me to extend the boating season way past what it used to be.. I plan to go out for the next five days no matter what the weather is... so it's worth it!! 
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Ain't nothing wrong with a 7k chq. !! And know you know what u have. Hows it work with that 383?
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Ain't nothing wrong with a 7k chq. !! And know you know what u have. Hows it work with that 383?
    Well I don't think the top end increased at all...but it does jump out of the water with everything I could throw at it so far... 
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
  • Options
    Anyone know if a prop change is recommended when going from a 350 to a 383?  
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

what are you getting for top rpm? I wouldn't be surprised a prop change would be needed.

2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    I honestly haven't run it WOT on a calm day yet... I've done it, but winds have been strong, etc.. so far the highest I've had it was 38mph @ 4910rpm's   
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news for you! a 7k ck is nice, and 35k in that boat is not bad, other than weekly/monthly, maintenance the boat should last you a long time. Especially since you have already been through everything else. Did you ever find out were the water is coming from?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    That is good news.  A lot to be thankful this holiday.  You have a great boat with a worry free engine and drive.  What a soap opera! Lol.  Best wishes
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    369 comments and you got a check to boot.leave the props,keep the hole shot. 3200 rpm at 28 mph should be a the sweet spot.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    what he said ^^^ :)

• Options
    369 comments and you got a check to boot.leave the props,keep the hole shot. 3200 rpm at 28 mph should be a the sweet spot.
    jmichels said:
    what he said ^^^ :)

I will test it out on Friday, but I believe I'm more up at 3800/4000  before it is happy... aka. not falling off plane
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW! I am new around here, and just got caught up on your story......it was like reading a drama reality show. Very happy for how it turned out for you in the end!
     I am a new owner of a 232 CC, with the same 350mag/Bravo lll setup you bought yours with. My only lake time on it so far, was the test drive, but everything felt extremely solid, and I only have 170 hours on mine. I have to admit, reading your whole story had me nervous! Hope you get years of enjoyment out of that boat  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Lake Bum, you do bring up a good point that this is a good story for many people to learn from.  Not that Jeff did anything wrong, just saying that you really never know with boats.  Even a survey may not tell you the whole story....and boats do cost money.  I've been very active on boat forums for 17 years and still for some reason, spends lots of money on boating.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    boat starts to fall off plane at 3600 rpms... at 3200 it's just plowing... seems to be most happy at 3900.. guess I need some new propellers? 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prop Slip Test!
  • Options
    Boat comes out of the water today... suppose I could try and get some numbers written down. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just looked back at my post,sorry I ment 3600.That was as low as I could go and stay on plane.3600rpm=34mph static, boat does 3600rpm=28mph reality so that's 17% slippage.but I'm no scientists  B)
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here 3600 rpm with 4/3 21 pitch props, any RPM less and it starts to fall off plane.
    And its about 28 mph.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    excellent, I'm at 3800 rpm at 28mph as well.. guess I'm doing okay!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just looked back at my post,sorry I ment 3600.That was as low as I could go and stay on plane.3600rpm=34mph static, boat does 3600rpm=28mph reality so that's 17% slippage.but I'm no scientists  B)
    J3ff said:
    excellent, I'm at 3800 rpm at 28mph as well.. guess I'm doing okay!

Were you guys using your dash tachs? Shame shame. Did you use GPS speed???
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the taccs nor the speedometer are accurate on my boat, that's for sure! If so, I'm planed out at around 4000 and running around 25 on gps.
  • Options
    Yeah, tach isnt accurate on mine either... I'm going by the vessel view mobile data.. 
  • Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Mine is similar. 3600 RPM and she stays on plane in the mid 20s.  FV 270 350 MPI  280 hp with a Volvo DP.  That was with three adults on board, half a tank of fuel and a full water tank. Hit 37.7 on the GPS at WOT and 5200 RPMs. Only got out once since I bought this boat very late in the season. I am a little concerned about being under powered but we will see in the spring. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a need for speed than the single engine anything is a poor choice- I'm happy with my 270 and can live with a little more time to plane vs keeping up with two motors and have a shallower draft as well.
  • Options
    luvinlife said:
    Mine is similar. 3600 RPM and she stays on plane in the mid 20s.  FV 270 350 MPI  280 hp with a Volvo DP.  That was with three adults on board, half a tank of fuel and a full water tank. Hit 37.7 on the GPS at WOT and 5200 RPMs. Only got out once since I bought this boat very late in the season. I am a little concerned about being under powered but we will see in the spring. 
    that is pretty much exactly the numbers i got with a 350 hp 383.. 
  • Options
    AdrianPPAdrianPP Member Posts: 4
    Jeff! Greetings from Australia. I came across this thread trying to work out whether air conditioning on single engine boats without generators worked out on a mooring and I experienced a short film of the risks and perils as well as joys of boat ownership as well as the answer to my question. Thanks for sharing it all it was very helpful for a prospective boat owner to read.

I was wondering, did the prior owner keep the boat in a marina where it was plugged in 240v where as did then you move it to a swing mooring?

Do you think it's possible with those dead batteries that the bilge pump wasn't working properly and that caused the engine to get too much water in?

Im no expert just wondering if that bilge pump could have played up if the batteries were out?

• Options
    Hi Adrian, glad the thread helped you out! Boat was always plugged in and batteries were topped off. Bilge pump seemed to run properly the whole time I've had it.