Options

Looking at buying a 2004 Fiesta Vee 270 - what to watch out for?

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi ya'll - heading out on Thursday to go look at this:

http://images.craigslist.org/00L0L_5aMeyX7Zs0O_600x450.jpg

Looks to be in great condition and taking the owners word that he has had all the major work done every year... 

My MAIN concern is that it has 800 hours on the engine and I see a LOT of used ones from this time period with "new engine just put in last year" in their add (and they are about 5000 more)..

The other concern is that a 300 hp v8 (mercruiser) isn't enough to get this thing going, what do you think?

so what would you guys be on the look out for ? He's asking 25,000, which seems fair.

- If you have repowered, how much did it cost you?
- If you haven't and you have the 5.7 Mercruiser, how many hours do you have on her?

Any and everything else you think about this boat!

I'm super excited to go check it out!

Thanks all!
Jeff

Comments

• Options
    pault1216pault1216 Member Posts: 206 ✭✭✭
    I had the 5.7L BIII in my 2000 FV270. Hour meter quit on previous owner but I had a scan and added a new meter. It had about 350 hours when I bought it (2007). Power was ok (260HP) for 4 people and cargo. Maxed at 40MPH. Transom assembly and engine coupler needed repair/replace around the 600+hrs mark. Earlier year BIII were prone to corrosion issues which may have been mitigated by 2004. Honda EU22000 kept batteries charged and a/c on all night while on the hook. I enjoyed the boat and miss it now. Your price sounds good if it is in good condition. -Paul
  • Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    800 hours on a 12 year old boat is not out of the realm of reasonable. Ask to see the maintenance records, how many hours in between oil changes etc. Find a good surveyor before you buy.  With 800 hours I would feel more comfortable with a compression test on the engine too, rebuilding the heads should set you back $1500-$2000 If needed. With good maintenance you can easily get 2000 hours without needing a rebuild. 
    I  never had a saltwater boat, so maybe some other people on the forum can chime in on that. With the recent hull repainting take a close look to be sure that is not hiding something. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks to be in great shape from the photo. The 350MAG/B3 combo should be decent at getting that boat up and out of the water. For a 12 year old boat, 800 hours isn't much at all. That is averaging 67 hours a season. If it is a Northern boat, that would be about right. It shows that he used the boat and didn't let it sit too much. Have the boat surveyed and the engine scanned for the hours and RPM operating range hours. It will tell you a lot how the owner ran the boat.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be very concerned about the HP and the hours individually - but - together they spell trouble to me. First is it a 5.7 or a 350 mag? There is different information posted above. Which is correct?

5.7 and 350 Magnum are VERY different engines.

Second 800 hours on a boat that size with a 5.7 I'd walk away. With a 350 Mag I'd still be concerned. If it had a 377 mag .....maybe.

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Michael T, I would assume 350MAG at 300HP. The 5.7 was rated at 250HP.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    SteelersTNTSteelersTNT Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2003 Feista Vee 270 with the Horizon 350 and B3, mine runs fine, jumps on plane well with 4 or 5 adults, and half tank of fuel and water. As for areas to check look at the front decking between the windshield and the center hatch for any signs of weakness. Good Luck, and Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    russellhrussellh Member Posts: 155 ✭✭
    I bought my 270 5.7 GXI back in March. Had lots done new manifolds and risers (out of choice) fuel pumps etc etc. Most important is a compression test I'd say. Your bound to have to replace things as that's owning a boat but as long as the engines good then happy days!
  • Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    I have the 2003 270 FV, 300 hp with Bravo 3.  I bought the boat at the end of the 2014 season and it had a little over 200 hours.  It now has about 340 hours.  The previous owner put on a new outdrive in 2013.  It's a great entry level cruiser for a couple or small family.  The single engine makes it economical to run.  

My belief is that after buying this model many people decide that either they want something bigger,or for a different function (such as fishing), or that they don't use the boat as much as they anticipated and don't want the upkeep expense.  As a result there is healthy inventory of this model available in the used market.  Prices range from the mid teens to the mid 40s.  The biggest difference between the 2002s and the 2004s is the raised swim platform.  You will find 2003s have either the raised or unraised platform.  Some people have complained about the platform dragging when getting up on plane.  I have the older unraised platform and have noticed this when several people sit on the aft seat.  The  edge of the lower platform contacts the water more often and shows dirt from the water.  Models with the raised platform seem to demand a higher price.  

IMO the 300 hp motor is marginal for this boat.  It's fine is you have 4 people on board and like to cruise at 25 to 27 mph.  You can pull the kids on a tube and some people have pulled kids on wake boards when using the right propeller.  My boat tops out at about 37 mph with 2 adults, 2 kids and a medium load of gear. A 320 hp motor would be an improvement and 375 hp would likely be great.   

Probably the biggest model specific thing to look out for is a soft foredeck.  There have been many reports of water leaks through the windshield screws and/or windshield wiper that rot the wood in the foredeck.  See the following thread on what can happen and what needs to be done to repair the problem.

https://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/56417#Comment_56417

Small things to look for:
    trim tab actuators (verify full range of trim tab motion).
    shower sump (the float switch is prone to fail).
    bilge pump in the mid cabin (next to shower sump) often runs dry and fails.
    AC raw water pump, leaks oil, fails.
    Galley water pump and blower often fail after several seasons.

I am in that group of 270 owners that are looking for something bigger and as such, my boat is for sale. Located in northern Chesapeake. 

https://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5910/2003-rinker-270-fiesta-vee-for-sale-20-900#latest

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MDboater with what you've done it would be, IMO, a great boat for a young family.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful advice! Mercury 350 Magnum MPI 300 HP/Bravo 3 outdrive is what the listing says. 

MDboater, I saw yours and the price is right, I just don't think I could swing that kind of trip by water right now, as I'd need a couple non-existent vacation days to bring it up :) 

I'm making a list of things to check and will be bringing it with me based on what all of you say here. 
  • Options
    No worries, I totally understand.  While water trips are more fun, I believe shipping a boat by ground transport is more cost effective.  

You should definitely consider getting a professional survey.  The hidden problems are often the most expensive to repair.  When you do a sea trail take notes on the following:
    how long it takes to get the boat on plane?
    what is the minimum speed and rpm that the boat stays on plane?
    what speed and rpm seem comfortable for cruising?
    what is the maximum speed and rpm?

Don't rely on the boat speedometer for speed. Use gps instead.

Check out the following thread and you will get a good idea of how this boat should perform.

https://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5692/improving-hole-shot-in-270fv#latest 

I think that I found the boat you are considering online.  It looks like this boat has a windless anchor, LED position indicators on the trim tabs, a connection for city water, and a 120V outlet in the cockpit....all nice upgrades.  As is the extended bimini top.  Check the condition of the clear vinyl camper enclosure (the sides that go between the bimini and cockpit).  I don't see controls for an air conditioner.  The AC controls are typically next the stereo above the TV.  AC is really nice to have if you plan to sleep on the boat (of course you need a generator to run the AC when not on shore power).  The AC is the difference between my families willingness to sleep on the boat and not on most nights.  Also, check the condition of the snap in cockpit carpet backing.  When the carpet gets toward the end of life the black backing starts to decompose and you will see little black bits of it under the carpet.  
  • Options
    TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    I have the same exact boat. 
    Lots of great info above, be sure to look at the outdrive, they are prone to corrosion!  Plenty of info on this model here on the forum and the support here is outstanding.  
    Most little  things at this point will need to be replaced and if your handy, won't cost much other than price of parts( but does add up) . I've owned mine for a year now and LOVE it!  Great size boat that's trailerable. I run With 4 to 6 people with standard gear.  I wish I had more power but once on plane I'm ok. I'll leave engine advise to the experts but a big expense is refinishing the bottom, outdrive and canvass. Looks like he solved the colored hull nightmare by painting.  Lots of luck and I hope you can make a deal. 
  • Options
    Yes, to go further with @Trashman's point about outdrive corrosion....  Pull the props if possible.  It's the only way to get a good look at the bearing carrier.  I discovered corrosion on mine this year and was able to address it before it got any worst.  

https://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/5566/how-to-minimize-corrosion-on-the-bearing-carrier-assembly#latest
  • Options
    Wont really be able to pull the props.. but if Thursday goes well and I like the boat (I know I will) the survey will be the next thing on the line. 

Question: some people mention having a trailer for this boat... I thought it was 9 feet 1inch wide.. is that legal for a regular person with a truck to tow? 
  • Options
    Will you be able to see the bottom of the boat out of the water or at least pictures from the spring before it went in?  In one regard, the high hours shows that the boat was well used rather than sitting in a shop plagued with problems. 
  • Options
    chamberbchamberb Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    Strictly speaking you need a permit. Most LE can't spot or don't care if you're 7 inches over... There are companies who will secure all permits for you if you need to trailer one and are worried...
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    I have a 99 270, just repowered w a new 383 stroker, 350HP, it's a whole new boat (cost $13K).  Problems I see are the 5.7 isn't enough for the 270, drag problems with the swim platform have been reported, blue hull-ed Rinker's in my harbor are chalky and faded, but they're great starter boats.  Yours looks great for the price!  
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff Towing mine once a month, 10 miles or so, haul out to clean, maybe some maintance, useing back roads I do not get permitt, Your truck probly needs to be rated at least for 10,000 lbs. 8 ft 6inch is the max width with out getting permitt.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    I chose this model because I didn't want to be dependent on the marina.  I bought a nice new trailer for 4k.  No need to pay for storage, haul out, bottom wash, shrink wrap, blocking, launching, winterizing, etc.  what I saved the first season practically paid for the trailer.  Pulls nicely behind my Silverado(I need to move it up another foot on trailer)  and in the winter will be at my home. You would never know its wide by looking at it ... But don't get into an accident, that may be an issue.  I only have to drive 2 miles but I did transport 50 miles to have the bottom blasted and had a nice ride. You'll love this boat, I do have the itch for bigger but what you'll have to put out at the marina makes it unappealing, imo. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Trashman said:
    I chose this model because I didn't want to be dependent on the marina.  I bought a nice new trailer for 4k.  No need to pay for storage, haul out, bottom wash, shrink wrap, blocking, launching, winterizing, etc.  what I saved the first season practically paid for the trailer.  Pulls nicely behind my Silverado(I need to move it up another foot on trailer)  and in the winter will be at my home. You would never know its wide by looking at it ... But don't get into an accident, that may be an issue.  I only have to drive 2 miles but I did transport 50 miles to have the bottom blasted and had a nice ride. You'll love this boat, I do have the itch for bigger but what you'll have to put out at the marina makes it unappealing, imo. 

Wow - nice, have any other pictures of it? The thing I really like about the current one is the black paint.. too bad you are in NJ, I'm looking to find someone to drive it from the South shore to the North shore of LI on a trailer (a total of 12 miles) to avoid having to take it around by water... even though it sounds fun, it'd just be less of a hassle- 
  • Options
    That should be easy, there's a few transport guys in this area on Craigslist, there must be some close to you. . Should be just a few hundred I suppose. I'll pm you pics.  
  • Options
    Thanks, yeah got some estimates today, 250 seems the norm, so I'd assume we're looking at 150 in gas for the trip, plus lunch, food, drinks, ice and transportation to it (train/boat/taxi) and we're almost at 250 anyway. 
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    8 foot max is the limit in NY and 8'6 max in Ct. I got permits to haul mine but I took from the bay side of LI to opposite side of LI and jumped on the ferry to bridgeport on my trailer. Was the best decision I made. Easy ride and very reasonable. LI and NY requires different permits fyi too. CT has there own. CT is fast response NY takes couple days to get.  Just have a big enough truck to tow it. 
  • Options
    SeazopSeazop Member Posts: 23 ✭✭
    Make sure there are no gas leaks by checking the bilge for gas flumes. Changing a tank is costly and time consuming.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice trash, we had the same thought process in the purchase of ours but I do store it on the trailer ar a reasonable cost. If I ever get rich like these other guts and can spend my days cruising I might want something bigger. Very satisfied with our 270 in our third season.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Made the trip out today.

Checked over all that everyone listed out!  Ran strong 39mph 4600 rpm, lots of power, no soft spots, no leaks. 

Would you believe this motor has 800 hrs on it?

The rest of the boat looks just like that motor...was looking for cracks, bad seals, dirt, couldn't find it.

The boat has AC, no heat, so the digital control that I see on everyone else's boat isn't there. Instead there's a control with two analogue dials, one for fan speed and one for temperature. 

Just ONE big problem, there's some kind of smell downstairs that has to be dealt with.   I wouldn't call it awful, but it has some kind of odor... I've seen other boats with this kind of smell, but for other reasons called it off, this one is good in most aspects except that.  Enough of a smell that when the cabin door was open, you could smell it above.. 

So... he said the shower downstairs had never been used (always used swim platform) and the toilet was seldom used.  The funny thing is the head actually smelled better then outside downstairs.. hoping it can be rectified because this boat looks pristine! 

There were a couple little things,  horn didn't work, seek up and down on the radio control didn't work (Don't care about this because I just play music off my phone anyway),  trim tabs didn't seem to do much... maybe they are more effective with more people on the boat?  He claims he never needs them. 

There was a VERY slight vibration in the steering wheel and could be felt on your feet at 35+ mph.  The owner reached over and trimmed the motor up and it went away... is this normal? He said having it trimmed down too much has the drive right up against the stern and causes it... never had a duo prop before...figured maybe that's it? Most boats I've been on have NO vibration.. if this is a drive issue or a gimbal bearing issue it's not a big deal because I plan to have the whole thing gone through and serviced this winter either way. 

Overall it was a beautiful boat and hoping the smell can be fixed because I'm pretty much going for it! Heard hoses go bad at the 10 year mark, I'm pretty handy and can swap hoses over the winter if needed.  Settled on a price of 25500. 

Post edited by J3ff on
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Look for stagnant water. Maybe the A/C??????? 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff,  triming it up correct, the smell is mosture, possable mold, needs to be opened up aired out, problem is boats do not get air in cabin when closed up for days and weeks. put a dehumidifier in the for a few days. next time you look at the boat.  in the aft cabin about center behind the steps is an inspection cover, under the bed look in there. probly will have a little water .
    are you going to get it surveyed ? its a good idea before you buy. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    DazeOffDazeOff Member Posts: 164 ✭✭✭
    Pull up the aft mattress and remove the lid covering the area where you'll find the the mid birth bilge pump and the shower sump. Take a good smell. If that's where that horrible smell is coming from, it's probably the pink antifreeze they use when winterizing the plumbing. Since the owner says they don't use the shower, the fluid may not have been flushed and it can get really foul when. As for the trim tabs, make sure they do work because you will definitely need it and use it once you put a few people on the boat.