Options

Looking at buying a 2004 Fiesta Vee 270 - what to watch out for?

Comments

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I guess this might just serve as a thread for newbies of what NOT to do.

I did some more investigating today since the boat is still laid up... possibly during two of the most beautiful weekends all summer.

The reason it doesn't have zinc anodes on the drive lift pistons (whatever they are called) is because the screw holes that you screw the screws into is trashed.

only two of those holes actually accept the little bolts that hold the anode on... well in this case they are so stripped it will barely screw in, forget about it when you put the anode on..

So does anyone know how to fix that? This might be the cause of why the other two anodes have gone to **** in 3 months of wear:

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    looks like the swim platform needs some teak oil
  • Options
    ha ha.. yeah... the whole thing needs some oil... or maybe just gas and a lighter. 
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    thats 3 months... wow... mine look better than that after 2 years, freshwater of course
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@J3ff, yes this is fixable. I would have someone who knows how to use a tap and die set and has used one on different metals give you a hand. I believe (99% certain) you can "tap" new threads for your zincs. If not inserts can be hammered in and new bolts used. There are decent options available.

Yes, there MUST be zincs on those trim cylinders....and yes the other zincs are way beyond their replacement time. 

I know you are picking-off the problems one at a time and that is depressing and frustrating.

If I may suggest, do what you can, get help from friends who know what they are doing and for really technical work hire the job out.

Worst case scenario, at the end of this (if there is ever an end to boat maintenance) at least you will know your boat and have a solid one. 

• Options
    This is true, I did expect to do a LOT of work on the boat this winter when it was laid up in a parking lot, I just didn't expect to be doing it two weeks of boat ownership in as the seller assured me it was in great condition. I did send him an email tonight venting some frustration with his inaccurate listing and how he straight up lied about a few things. I don't expect anything to come of it, but it was good to get it out in the open and off my chest. 

@F1100   I have the invoices and his marina charged him 150 for those zincs, saying that they installed them on May 25th of 2016. That is 3  months and a few days to today.  I have had 3 other boats before this one and only had to change zincs once every 2 years. 

@Michael T Glad to hear new inserts can be hammered in.. I may attempt that over the winter... at this point I just replaced all of the trashed zincs today with brand new ones.. hoping it'll be okay till Thanksgiving (when the boat will come out)

• Options
    Michael T said:

@J3ff, yes this is fixable. I would have someone who knows how to use a tap and die set and has used one on different metals give you a hand. I believe (99% certain) you can "tap" new threads for your zincs. If not inserts can be hammered in and new bolts used. There are decent options available.

Do you know what this part is called? The outdrive is off at the moment, might be able to get it fixed this week. 
  • Options
    edited August 2016

J3ff if you trust your tech ask him if he has a tap and die set and can re-do the screw/bolt threads to use the same sized screw/bolt or if required, "tap" for a slightly bigger screw/bolt. Technically it is called a bolt. If he can re-tap the threads, the head of that bolt should be dipped in a thread locking compound. For the area of anodes (in your case zinc) I like the blue Loctite.

If the area can not be re-tapped (I'm 99.9% sure it can) then I would be looking at an insert that can be installed and the bolt, with Loctite installed.

On my boat I would try to re-tap the thread first as I have used tap and die sets so many times. If you haven't I'd get a technician to do it....and choose the new bolt correctly so as to not split the trim cylinder housing.

This is not open heart surgery. Any decent tech at a marina should be able to do this or a local machinist might be less expensive. Machinists have fantastic skills in this area.

Best of luck! MT

• Options
    I don't trust as a general rule, especially techs who don't care about "my boat" as much as I do... that's kind of how this boat has been allowed to exist at this point. The PO has spent a decent amount of money each year with his marina.. they didn't take care of it as an owner would have. 
  • Options
    Thank you for the advice!
  • Options
    @J3ff. that's a shame but obviously wise of you to be extra careful. Do you have a friend who has used a tap and die set on various metals or is there a machine shop in your area to call to see if they can send a guy over? It is not hard to set new threads - although I wouldn't try it for the first time on trim cylinders - but it should be a walk in the park for a machinist. 
  • Options
    any response yet from the po
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Really didn't expect any response, it would take a pretty amazing human being (there are a few of us out there) to refund any money. 

I'm sure he's mulling it over in his head...
  • Options
    Out with the old..... 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fixing to watch the same on mine...except a coupler repair only....good luck!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    J3ff - Are they going to dig into the old motor and determine what happened or not even bother?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    See that big round rubber coupler Ras?
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes @Handymans342, did pay particular attention to that!
  • Options
    A friend of mine is going to tear it down "for fun" he'll get whatever profits come from it... I just want to know the cause. Going to pick it up Saturday morning and drop it off at his place whenever.. 

At this point the new motor hasn't been delivered yet, they were hoping it'd be there today.   I'm sure hoping it comes in tomorrow, because I fear that if it doesn't show up their going to not be able to get it done by the long weekend.. 
  • Options
    Does the coupler look good? Or does the new engine come with one?? 

• Options
    i guess/maybe if theirs a problem with the  coupler/splines...not aligning right. could make drive vibrate etc. not sure if a new one comes with
  • Options
    The splines must be checked with an alignment tool or very expensive problems will result.
  • Options
    I swear the boat is going to be named "What's next?"

Just got a call, new transom assembly needed, tech will be sending pictures. 
  • Options
    Well, J3ff, a lot of harsh news but you will have one very nice boat when it's all done!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    2700 for part, 5 hours of labor, but they think that'll stay within the original estimate of 30 hrs labor. so now we are looking at $18,700 minimum

I'm speechless. 

At this point I'm just waiting to hear that the transom is rotted as well, if that happens I'm afraid a lawyer might have to get involved. 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff - I think I would have gotten to that point already...it's ridiculous what has happened to you!
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    well fudddd......dude  i would definitely go talk to someone for any legal advice or recourse..request any service/maintenance records from po and where boat was serviced...have you checked vin numbers ... make sure you (J3ff) didnt stop for a beer in celebration and board the wrong boat back to port.
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    What legal recourse could there be? 
    Post edited by Glassguy54 on