Options

Looking at buying a 2004 Fiesta Vee 270 - what to watch out for?

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've completely lost my mind over this so 8 forum pages in I can't remember squat but - there was no surveyor, right?
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    What legal recourse could there be? I feel bad for you, BIG TIME, and all of us hate to see something of this magnitude happen to a member. Is there any implied or express warranty involved in a boat purchase? Its not like buying a house where the seller intentionally misrepresented condition, giving buyer some means of legal satisfaction, is it? The guy only gave you his "word" that the boat was A-OK, right, no binding legal documents or other iron clad guaranties of worthiness that could be presented in a court of law? I'm not even sure if you could prevail in small claims court when its just his word (worthless) against yours. Wow! What a HUGE bummer. I would be SO P.O.d!!!!! 
    Took a bet and lost is basically what I did.. I will send the seller the final bill saying "this is what it cost to get the boat back on the water" and see what he feels like..but whatever, it's a nightmare, however again it's just a "thing" have lost a bunch of family members recently, this is nothing compared to that..
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    I've completely lost my mind over this so 8 forum pages in I can't remember squat but - there was no surveyor, right?
    No, but the opinion is that a surveyor wouldn't have seen this without removing the engine anyway.. also the oil was fine till 2 days in of ownership.  There were some little things that he/she would have picked up on but the major ones would have remained masked is what I'm being told.

The job is currently at 21k. Hoping it doesn't go much north of that.  Also remember it would have been cheaper to just throw a raw water cooled 350 back in, but we're going for broke here.  Figure at this point I'll either fix it (we're at a 42k "value" boat here now) and enjoy it for 10 years or we'll fix it and I'll see what the market is for a nice looking boat with a BRAND new engine/transombracket etc.. in the spring.  will depend on how enjoyable she is whenever she ends up getting back in the water.

The worst part of this whole thing is being boatless on labor day weekend. :neutral:  
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch! I had to replace Gimbal ring this spring, same price, $2700. Mine had to be shipped from Calf. took a week to get it. Probly should make a trip to boat shop to see for your self. Stay calm. stay thirsty 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    2700 for a gimble ring?? What is that? You mean the bearing? 
  • Options
    No sorry complete housing, its called Magnum transom. plus cylinders came with it, PO had JB welded it on the inside, looked like maybe a universal joint failure at some time. the JB weld did not hold and was leaking water. actual cost $2707.14
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that is incredible. On a previous post to this thread,I would be sure talking to the shop to obtain the service records as you might see where they put in writing to popos that their were issues with the boat. I would hope no one would knowingly pass this to to you like this and I hope you find a way to turn this around on the owner. If he didn't know, he didn't know. Surveyors can't as far as I could tell, check much of anything on a 270. They can't inspect stringers much- not like when they step into a bilege of a 60" yacht right? Don't get me wrong, a set of eyes that had a clue about boats before I bought it was worth it. The only test mine did on the motor was to get it to wide open throttle RPM and that was about it. He noted the batteries were old ( I attributed the slow working starter, starter was bad). He did inspect the hull very well, heck- fridge did not work (fan ran-was about 28 degrees in the panhandle that day. Windless- didn't work. All minor but worse could happen to anyone for sure and I sure feel your pain....good luck with this.
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    J3ff...and fellow members...can you run a boat vin/hull numbers ...any members have a unlimited account..
    just see
  • Options
    New engine showed up today... hoping for a miracle and MAYBE they call me and surprise me saying it'll be ready on Saturday...but probably not.

On a side note, I was absolutely going to change the name...but maybe all I should do is get rid of the pool stuff and put a "Oh For" somewhere infront of it..

What do you think? 

• Options
    MDboaterMDboater Member Posts: 298 ✭✭✭
    Maybe just change the 4 to an 8.
  • Options
    All that would have to go, if it were mine, just sayin......
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @J3ff...at least you haven't lost your sense of humor.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    randy56 said:
    All that would have to go, if it were mine, just sayin......
    Yeah it's pretty awful, but everytime the guy calls me saying "we need more money" I've started saying "OH FOR PETE'S SAKE"  and he laughs each time.. so it's growing on me. 
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    j3ff is the new pete....nothing but blue skys and smoooth sailing
  • Options
    well on the bright side, it looks like this weekend is going to be pretty stormy and I'd only be worried about the boat if it was in the water... so since it's up in a parking lot wont have to worry about it!  

New motor is in... just needs to be completely hooked up and tested.. looking at end of next week thanks to storm. 
  • Options
    @J3ff....looks like the sun should break through for you soon. Fingers crossed! At least you'll have a great boat that has been really up-dated!
  • Options
    Well here's the old hunk of junk loaded into a friends truck... will probably tear it down tomorrow or Monday - weather is supposed to be clouds and wind all weekend. 

Anyone have any idea of what parts I should try and salvage/sell?

I know there's the wiring harness that costs a whole bunch new..

• Options
    New trans. assembly looking good. 

Int1.jpg 134.7K
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    List as whole, get rid of it. 
  • Options
    List as whole, get rid of it. 
    how much? 
  • Options
    Maybe go on eBay or other sites and see if you can find a motor like yours for sale
  • Options
    No whole motors?
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Another part of this story:

Just got a letter from the insurance company saying they'd pay for the cost of taking the Engine apart to find the reason why it happened and that if it was wear and tear they would still cover those costs but then it's on me to get the boat running again.

So I'm hoping that at the VERY LEAST my boat yard will send me a bill for the hours to remove the engine and insurance will cover that labor.

• Options
    Fingers crossed. That new transom assembly sure looks great!
  • Options
    lionelzlionelz Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Wow just read this thread, gutted for you.  Have you heard from the previous owner?  By what you have said, he has paid for work which has simply not been done.  I remember when I got my 270 last year (I'm in the UK)  I was chuffed to bits, a few weeks later I hit a submarine barrier  a remnant from the first world war (I'm based in portsmouth in the solent a royal navy base) I just miss read the charts.  I was out of the water for 6 weeks whilst a new bottom section of the outdrive was fitted it was the best 6 weeks of the summer (we don't get much of a summer in the UK  :D )  I know how I felt especially as it was my fault.  You can imagine my disappointment when about 2 months after being back on the water I was having some minor work done when my engineer contacted me and said that he had made a big **** up and had missed the fact that I had also cracked the transom shield.  I had to get a new one so was of the water for the remainder of the season.  The good thing is I have basically a new outdrive.  I was very lucky that my insurance paid out for everything.  I just hope that you get it sorted.  I love my 270. Its a great boat and once on the water it's affordable to run.  I am lucky as mine is a diesel version (quite rare)  because at present petrol is £1.35 a litre for petrol in the marinas  (on current exchange rate about a dollar a litre) I have spent weeks on it with my wife and we love it.  Once you get this situation fixed you will have a great boat that will give you many hours of fun for may years to come.

Lionel
  • Options
    Lionelz, did you ever check your throttle cable???????????????????
  • Options
    lionelzlionelz Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    No not yet, it will be something for the end of season,  boat is running fine at the moment so don't want to jinx it  ;)
  • Options
    lionelz said:
    Wow just read this thread, gutted for you.  Have you heard from the previous owner?  By what you have said, he has paid for work which has simply not been done.  I remember when I got my 270 last year (I'm in the UK)  I was chuffed to bits, a few weeks later I hit a submarine barrier  a remnant from the first world war (I'm based in portsmouth in the solent a royal navy base) I just miss read the charts.  I was out of the water for 6 weeks whilst a new bottom section of the outdrive was fitted it was the best 6 weeks of the summer (we don't get much of a summer in the UK  :D )  I know how I felt especially as it was my fault.  You can imagine my disappointment when about 2 months after being back on the water I was having some minor work done when my engineer contacted me and said that he had made a big **** up and had missed the fact that I had also cracked the transom shield.  I had to get a new one so was of the water for the remainder of the season.  The good thing is I have basically a new outdrive.  I was very lucky that my insurance paid out for everything.  I just hope that you get it sorted.  I love my 270. Its a great boat and once on the water it's affordable to run.  I am lucky as mine is a diesel version (quite rare)  because at present petrol is £1.35 a litre for petrol in the marinas  (on current exchange rate about a dollar a litre) I have spent weeks on it with my wife and we love it.  Once you get this situation fixed you will have a great boat that will give you many hours of fun for may years to come.

Lionel
    Nah, previous owner is wiping his hands of the whole thing, which I guess is his right to do so, even though I feel he owes me 5 or so thousand dollars.. no big deal. Excited to get this boat in action
  • Options
    lionelz said:
    No not yet, it will be something for the end of season,  boat is running fine at the moment so don't want to jinx it  ;)
    Mine was too but not fast enough