Options

Well Diesels are the new Kool Aid....

Comments

• Options
    lionelzlionelz Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    I change them every year.  Its starting to getting cold here now so will use it less and less.  So come march I will have the impeller ( which is in a daft position and makes it very hard to change) full oil and filter change.  Plus the outdrive serviced (bravo2).  I haven't to add I have an engineer do it.   I don't have and mechanical skill and don't want to mess it up.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many hours?
  • Options
    The hours are not taken into account I have it done regardless.  I suppose I would have done a total of definitely no more than 150
  • Options
    No, I meant how many hours do you have on your motor? Hour meter
  • Options
    I love the boat but really want to get one with two separate cabins, was at the Southampton boat show answer saw a marex 310 which suits my needs bang on so will have to wait till some come on the second hand market.  Also spoke to the Yanmar stand.  Looks like they are slowly going across the computer control rather than mechanical and all the issues that comes with
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lionelz, It took me a little bit to understand your Question. When someone reply's to you and use your user name. It will notify you. 

Just Doing some conversion's for fun.

Gas    1.36 x 3.78 = $5.14 us dollars per gallon 
    Diesal     .88 x 3.78 = $3.32 us dollars per gallon 
    28 knts x1.15 =  miles per hour. = 32.2 mph

Sounds like you had a great season, 100 hours is good, I only got 60 this year. 
    I'm now winterized and she is ready for storage. 
    how many hours are on the boat now?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @randy56 thanks for that  :D IF I'm honest I'm not to sure what my total hours are I will check next time I'm down there.  But I'm sure it's over a 1000. Closer to 1250 I think but will check.  I don't really do a full winterization on my boat temptature very rarely get that low I will empty my water and drain down the water system ( temeratures do go below freezing but not much lowere) but that's about it.  That way I can use it if I fancy a December day out in the cold sunshine.  My boat is stored on a dry stack  (I'm not sure if you have them in the US)  basically it's a big rack that the marina operates and they put my boat in the water when I want it. I don't have any anti foul on my boat and of course saves on maintenance plus the engine always gets to max revs and best fuel economy.   Wife does not like sleeping on the boat in winter so I tend to go town with my kids (they are adults now)  I have electric an electric fan which I plug in when hooked up to electic.  Get some good night in with them and some father son bonding 

What do the temperatures get down to where you are?  

Also what's the cost of fuel in the US I have heard it's very cheap.  The Pound sterling is plummeting at the moment I thing 1.2 dollar to pound at present.
  • Options
    @lionelz, yes we have dry stack in some bigger cities, I'm in the middle of the US. 
    In a Small town, No dry stack, very few marina's, the low avg temp for January is 22.6 avg high is 39.5. but it gets below 0 at times. with wind chill.

Gas is $2.19  per gallon on land at pump. much differant than your cost. 
    Diesel is $2.29 per gallon
    Gas at the marina is $2.99 per gallon

I love my wife more than bacon! but sometimes i like spend the nite, by my self on the boat.  Have two sons, 28/32 both busy , with there family's and world, go boating with us 5/6 times a year. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    I also have a 270 with the same engine. Very impressed with it. 
  • Options
    I have mentioned before that everyone who has the Yanmars to check their throttle cable to make sure that the fuel injector pump is 100% open when the throttle handle is 100% at the control helm. Mine was not. Dont forget to check. Mine was only at 70%. This is why Alswagg thinks diesels are slow. LOL
  • Options
    lionelz, I watched the Marex 310 youtube video, very nice boat. 
  • Options
    @dalek, interesting, another 270 with diesel, where do you boat at? and how many hours on your boat? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    Like Lionelz, I am in the UK. Penarth Marina in South Wales. We can't afford gas this side of the Atlantic. Boat has done only about 650 hours, mostly by previous owner.
  • Options
    @Handymans342 I went on it at the Southampton boat show amazing boat.  For a boat that is only 1 ft bigger than my 270 (Including the swim platform) could not belive they got all of it in without feeling to cramped.  Build quality was good to.  £175k new unfortunately well out of my price range.  On a separate question what is your WOT RPM on your stzp?

@dalek I Was Sat in my marina a few weeks ago and another 270 came in we had a great chat comparing boats and then the following day a guy came and spoke to me and said he was desperate to get a 270 so clearly there is a demand for our great little boats here in the UK.
  • Options
    lionelz, my WOT rpm is 3600. My mechanic who used to work at Yanmar wanted to see this motor at 3600 as apposed to the specs which say 3300 max I believe. I am happy the way the boat performs especially when the drives are trimmed up to the best spot. Have you tried that?   
  • Options
    @Handymans342 tried upping the revs?  No.  What's the effect?   As I said I'm happy at 3300, very fairly take it past 3000.  What does it do to your speed and fuel burn?
  • Options
    I just did a 360 mile trip and burned 240 gallons at 3500 rpm and 32 mph average but my boat is 15000 lbs

I haven't done a trip at a lower rpm yet so I will have to post that later but it can only get better right?
  • Options
    Do not trust the dash rpm gauge. We used a laser tach on the motor at full speed
  • Options
    @Handymans342 I take it that's us gallons?  If so how many liters per us gallon?
  • Options
     3.78 liters per gallon

Gas    1.36 x 3.78 = $5.14 us dollars per gallon 
    Diesal     .88 x 3.78 = $3.32 us dollars per gallon 
    28 knts x1.15 =  miles per hour. = 32.2 mph
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    So Randy just came down to Ft Myers and had a wonderful time and dinner with the admirals. Full moon 80 degrees. Sweet. See what you missed MT?
  • Options
    After a nice visit to Handy's wonderful place, and a wonderful cruise on the 342,  I understand why Rinker choose The Yanmar diesel for the gas alternative. Powerful fit for the 342, they must have done there do diligence, in finding the proper fit with Yanmar. The Engineering department of Rinker really knows what they are doing. Now my question is why Rinker does not put more diesel's in there boats?  When you look at the pro's and con's of maintenance, sips fuel, not a fire hazard, longevity, power range, resell value,  I could go on, why not diesel. ?? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    @randy56 I can give you reasons on why there are not more diesels but I dont have the energy to argue with Handy........ But here are a couple. Cost is a biggie diesels cost much more than gas. Speed regardless of what Handy says gas engines on that application are faster. Here is another one that Handy is going to argue. Fuel burn. At cruise speed diesels much better however if you push the limit and run her hard diesels will burn the same if not more.......... Just say'n........ Now Handy dont reply we all know the benefits of diesels I was just give a couple pro's and con's.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Really Ray Really?
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    Yerp.........LMFAO
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Ray, if you went full throttle, what is your speed and RPM?
  • Options
    @raybo3, Ah ha ! that's whats great about this forum, topic's for discussion, and tips for maintenance, helping each other. 
     Living in a small boating community. Handy's 342 was the first one I have got to be on. What a nice vessel. big roomy, heavy cruiser, so you guys that have the 342, or bigger, your lookin good.
     The average marine gasoline engine runs for 1,500 hours before needing a major overhaul. The average marine diesel engine will run for more than three times that long and log an average 5,000 hours under the same conditions. The number of hours that a marine engine runs is very dependent on the amount and quality of maintenance over the years.
    Few people have the desire, money, to cruse far from home base. Funny you don't see any gas engines in Trawlers, cruse ships, commercial fishing vessels, big blow boats, ect.
    So if your average boating day consist of running 15 miles to meet you boating buddy's, raft up, or going to the sand bar. gas is fine. and 6 miles per hour faster. 
    If you are going to explore our wonderful waterways and travel any long distance 
    Diesel is best. 
    Has this topic been discussed on here before ? 

Boat Name : 

• Options
    I believe so and I won. RLMAO
  • Options
    Search: Drew, look at this and report back"
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

So, how many hours has @handymans342 put on his boat since he moved to Florida?  What's the furthest he's gone?  I know he did a short jaunt to the keys, but anywhere further? 

I think it can be turned back around and ask how many boats under 40' have you seen with Diesels?  reason it is so few is because that size boat (especially under 35') is used for exactly what you say Randy.  15 miles here and there and enjoy that average 33mph cruise to hurry up and get there.  For me, burning less than 100 hrs per year, I'm not concerned about fuel burn.  Maintenance and slip fees cost more. 

My next boat, will have diesels.  Why?  because I'll be getting old, like Handy :) .  & we won't mind, maybe desire, going slower.  Also, we will go much, much greater distances.  (like, we'll laugh at the 50-100 hrs/year, when we do that in a month's time).  I'll want a boat that we can walk around and use the living space while cruising.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express