Options

Well Diesels are the new Kool Aid....

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    I once had my boat to 51mph gps. I had very little fuel, I was alone, no fresh water, no waste water. Ran that for about a minute, temp started to climb a little and I did not want to beat on it. It was when I first got it. Not really sure what the RPM's were I have Faria gauges....LOL I will never try that again but I do run about 40mph once in a while and I do cruise around alot mid to upper 30's.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well with those speeds you might as well have diesels
  • Options
    Diesels could never do that.....
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @DI I thought I read on another post you were 46, and you said: My next boat, will have diesels.  Why?  because I'll be getting old, like Handy  .  & we won't mind, maybe desire, going slower.  LOL   welcome to the ol' guys club. 

Boat Name : 

• Options
    Here is why they don't like diesels. It may take me 15 more minutes to get to the marina with the tiki hut but I don't have to fuel up to get back to the slip and I won't have fuel issues, spark plugs burn up and my generator will still be running. RLMFAO
  • Options
    Here is why they don't like diesels. It may take me 15 more minutes to get to the marina with the tiki hut but I don't have to fuel up to get back to the slip and I won't have fuel issues, spark plugs burn up and my generator will still be running. RLMFAO
    Handy there are 3 reasons people dont want diesels for a 342 #1 Plane and simple, cost. Diesels are better engines no doubt but they are also 3 times the cost. #2 Maintenance, Now I dont mean to insult anyone here so please dont take it that way. Most people dont know how to work on them. Its a different animal and its much harder to find someone to work on them and more expensive. #3 No matter which way you slice the bread diesels are slower and Rinkers claim to fame is that their Express Cruisers are faster. Bottom line..............Boy I am setting myself to get killed on this..........LOL  
  • Options

Yanmar 4LHA-STP marine diesel engine 240hp
    Price: US$10,500.00

Picture
    Yanmar Information:
    LH Series 118–177kW (116–240HP) Tough, reliable, compact and with outstanding power-to-weight benefits, these four-cylinder direct injection Yanmars in the LH Series include sterndrive models. The turbocharger has a wastegate boost compensator to improve acceleration still further. LH Series 4LHAM-STP (240HP/177kW) Tough and dependable high-output four-cylinder diesel, turbocharged and aftercooled. Develops 240HP (177kW) at 3,300 rpm. Supplied as bob-tail unit so that you can choose your transmission type.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    lionelzlionelz Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    There are merits for both engines in the UK diesel is much cheaper at the marina a than petrol.  I often hear about the initial expense however you also get more back when time comes to sell.  I was lucky when I found my rinker with a diesel but one of my musts for a boat when I purchased was a diesel, for the general running costs. Put each to their own
  • Options
    10G for a Yanmar Randy? That's cheaper than a big block
  • Options
    Go price 2 boats. One with gas and one with diesels and then tell me the difference.
  • Options
    Geee I did'nt want to work that hard but here are the fact's Jack.

This one comes with bottle water and chocolate milk.
    Diesel
    http://www.boats.com/power-boats/2006-rinker-390-express-cruiser-5864183/#.WAWKAeArKhc

Gas,
    this one come with a roll of paper towels.
    http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2006-rinker-390-express-cruiser-102134403/
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Randy are you trying to say diesels cost the same as gas engines? Really? Your going to sell your story with a couple of adds from a used boat site. Sorry bro go price the same boats new and see what happens. Not even close. A buddy of mine at the club has an older 44 foot SeaRay and he got a price of 40grand each to replace his deisels.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Randy56, that 390 is one heII of a deal. I wonder what that boat went new. MT, you are welcome to chime in now LOL
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Raybo3  Only used is where the deals are
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    edited October 2016

I know the owner of the diesel 390 listed here very well.  For any of you that have gone to our Rinkervous, it's crazy Dave and Joyce's boat (aka Riverside on here).  He has always taken very good care of that boat and it is absolutely the cleanest Rinker I've ever been on (& I've been on hundreds).  Kind of strange, cause I wasn't expecting to look at the link and see his boat.  (I'll have to give him a call tonight, hopefully health is all ok)

For those of you who are old time RBOers, remember Nancy up in CT?  This is her old boat.  I know the history of this boat since new and I'd seriously buy it if I didn't have my current one. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Not many Rinkers with diesels and Outdrives. Most of the Volvos were Pods. Plus he has low hours. I noticed some small things that were damaged by the sun but no big deal. 
  • Options
    How come he was never on the forum Dream?
  • Options
    I thought that Duo prop could not be used with diesels because of torque. Handy isn't that why you have a bravo 2 instead of a 3?
  • Options
    @raybo3, In the two used boat comparison, the Diesel boat cost $15 k more than the gas. stating the facts. How do we learn? by studying the facts, and asking questions. Nobody ever said a boat was a good investment. A wise man learns from his own mistakes, but a really wise man learns from the mistakes of others. 

Your slip mate with his tired old sea ray has got to be asking his self, why do I own a boat? I hope he has a good income. 

Gas VS Diesel what can we learn, I was kinda hoping others with hands on experience would share there experience. But since there are very few Rinker built Diesels. We may not get much information. 

I will go through the exercise of new boat comparison and report back. If I can find them. 

Boat Name : 

• Options
    Yes B2 but I think B3 is ok. Not that much torque diff from big blocks
  • Options
    @randy56 trust me unless your in the market for a boat dont waste your time. I have been boating for many years and have seen all kinds of boats at the club, boat shows, friends buying boats, friends selling boats(Owner of a marina and dealer)..... well I think you get the drift.  Diesels are much more expensive new or used. If they weren't then maybe all boats would be diesels. So going to back to the original statement that Handy made "Here is why they don't like diesels. It may take me 15 more minutes to get to the marina with the tiki hut but I don't have to fuel up to get back to the slip and I won't have fuel issues, spark plugs burn up and my generator will still be running. RLMFAO". IMO I dont think its because "they" dont like diesels a big part of it is $$$$$$$$$ like I said in my post. 
  • Options
    Maybe Al can chime in on why they did not make more diesels....... It is an interesting subject........
  • Options

Definitely an interesting subject.  I also think one major reason is because they stink and give off black soot.  Before you say they don't I've anchored and still anchor monthly next to diesels, and they all leave black soot on the side of my boat.

Now, to answer the B2/B3 thing.  Has nothing to do with diesel.  I have B2s on mine.  I boat with 2 390 diesels (one here for sale) that have duoprop.  There is also another 2008 400 that just came in my marina 6 weeks ago and it has diesel with duoprop.

And again, it's not just Rinker that don't have diesels in the smaller boats.  It's most of the cruiser types (Brunswick boats, cruiser yacht, Monterey, you get the drift).  It's the expense, not wanting to deal with hard to find parts, fuel cleaners.

Oh, and handy, crazy Dave isn't on here often cause he just isn't the computer kind of guy.  He's asked me a couple times how to do certain things on here and said he just gave up with it.

• Options
    Dream my boat has never left black soot anywhere in the water or on in the air or anywhere I guarantee you ask Randy if he saw any smoke
  • Options
    Handy, you won't see it in the smoke, but I guarantee you if you anchor up next to somebody on the side of your generator output, they will have black on the side of their boat after an hour or so with it running.  There has not been a diesel boat yet that hasn't done that.  I've seen it on any diesel I've looked at in a raft up on their neighbors boat.  & the admiral can smell a diesel a mile away! :) 

• Options
    I only saw a puff of smoke went they were first started up, possablely un burned fuel, same as my Kubota tractor, or any other diesel,  it seems clean, but I believe DI is correct it's there, but you cannot see any smoke. 
    It's the time vs money equation, yes up front expense on diesel's are much more. I'm sure more than one person, has calculated the difference, longevity, fuel expense, maintenance,  power, ect.

Boat Name : 

• Options
    Found an excellent artical on boat.com Gas vs Diesel. 

http://www.boats.com/resources/boat-engines-choosing-gas-or-diesel/
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Good reading @randy56!

• Options
    After skimming (did not read the whole thing) through that artical its basically saying the same thing I did. BTW I would never buy a 45 foot boat with gas engines. Way to big IMO. I would think 40 would be it and again IMO. Very good post randy thanks for posting..... 
  • Options
    I saw a Bayliner Trophy for sale with the Small Mercury I/O diesel 26 foot I think. 5 MPG! Full speed