Well Diesels are the new Kool Aid....

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You drinking Randy? LOL
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    only reason old diesels are loud are the injectors you are hearing. new diesels are common rail direct injection with impiezo injectors. They are **** near silent. nothing to do with the brand.  Yes handy's diesels were pretty toned down . glad to see my post is still rolling lol
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Captain Handy, I only drink on days that end with Y, 
    jmichels, question, so I have an old 99 ford with 7.3, and its very loud, so your saying most of the noise is from the injectors, I call it the rattler.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Handy should be smiling.  I was on a diesel boat all weekend doing the Annapolis parade of lights.  Engines are definitely louder and vibrate a bit more.  Boat is a 4460 Regal.  Cruising speed was 22mph at 2800 rpm.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I bet that was a cool/cold boat ride, but worth it.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    edited December 2016

Actually, we had all 3 heaters running, so it was nice and toasty inside.  I did sit outside on the bow for some of it though and it was a bit brisk.  We even had some visitors while we were decorating....talk about cold...

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    **** **** ****, that will warm up your diesel. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    That looks like Ego Alley in Annapolis. Wow, you can tell I'm old - didn't even mention the excellent examples of female pulchritude!!!
  • Options
    We learn so much on here. So I had to look up pulchritude? 
    Answer: A pulchritude is a gorgeous woman.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    Randy56

Yes ....the noise is the injectors. Its called injector "knock"....

What happens is when the injector is functioning...the oil pressure is magnified through a intensifier piston....

When that happens...thats the louder knock that 7.3's and 6.0's have over common rail motors like the d-maxes and newer cummins motors. That noise is greatly amplified when the oil and fuel are cold since the injector, fuel pump, oil pump, etc have to work a little harder to get everything there. The combination of it all produces that knock you hear...the rattler lol
  • Options
    @jmichels, thanks for the explanation, injectorfessor, After oweing one for a year, And living by a highway,  I can hear one on the highway and pick it out by the distinct sound the 7.3 makes. Before I see it. That truck has the power, it will yank and crank my 270. The PO put some kinda chip in it.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    piazioelectric (sp?) injectors are wicked fast... up to seven distinct events per cycle.  that is a pilot through final, chasing the piston all the way to the floor- hence redonkulous tq...  and tiny exhaust signature if properly tuned.  

i've seen 31,000psi at my rail before.  it is obscene what they can do.  

HEUI injectors are tiny piston driven pumps to achieve the injection volume.  they can't produce multiple shots to the cylinder, so it's easy to over fuel them and make that nasty coal plume.  but they can be toyed with and optimized.  they are hydraulic and use the engines oil- and shear 40wt to 30wt with a quickness... curiously they don't shear further than 30wt... many informed users use 30wt to begin with nowadays.  0w-30 winter, 5w30 summer... or straight grade 30 in suitable environments.  

the yanni's captain handy runs are mechanical injectors- they are no frills, like an old tractor.  they do the job without complaining and are super reliable, but not the best for economy or performance.  

piazioelectric are reliable with hella less moving parts.  so long as they aren't over-taxed, ala maxing the events and durations, they'll last as long as the engines... the pressure is behind them, they simply guard the gate.  the trick to longevity is using a lubricant in the fuel... the same process that removes sulfur from the fuel (from 500ppm to 15ppm difference between low and ultra low) removes lubricants... those lubricants are super important for the gates on the piazio injectors- it's the difference between slapping metal to metal when they close (wearing the injector, possibly losing it's ability to stop flow and melting a piston face) or slapping on a cushy lubricant to soften the gates closing.  

piazio rattle like nobodies business if the tuning isn't right, and the tuning relies on load.  if the tuning to the load is right, they are whisper quiet.  

everything i did to my diesel is for reliability... that said, i'm putting 617hp to the terra and 1187# of tq on a daily driver.  i get 18mpg's with a 11.5k# truck that can literally run high 12's and 0-60 in right at five seconds.  if it weren't for the 5r110w transmission's lower 1st 2nd and 3rd gearing and then a sizable jump to 4th and 5th, the times would be even faster... I could care less about the speed- I want this thing to last me forever.  

gas.... diesel... they both have their purposes and advantages.  right now diesels are suffering from the same thing gassers did in the seventies with smog pumps and emissions... they'll get it figured out.  I'm out of the diesel market until they do.  the one i have can be- uh, 'addressed' to protect my investment... the newer ones are harder to 'address'.  this goes for boats, too. 

• Options
    Diesel Vs gasoline, is always a subject of debate. I ran across a good story. This one will make Handy's day.
    Attached:
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Thanks Randy. I rest my case LOL
  • Options

Record Number of Manatees Killed By Boaters This Year, Officials Say

By Ada Carr
    Published Dec 13 2016 05:39 PM EST
    weather.com
    Story Highlights

Data shows that a record number of manatees have been killed by collisions with watercraft this year.

An increase in the animals' numbers may have played a role.

Just as officials are considering declassifying Florida’s manatees on the endangered list, research shows that a record 98 of the animals have been killed by collisions with watercraft so far this year.

The 98th manatee to be found dead was discovered on Dec. 2 in Fort Lauderdale’s Stranahan River, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

A few areas around Florida’s coastline have had the highest number of manatees killed after being run over by boat. Data collected by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Committee (FWC) shows that Lee County leads the state with 18 deaths, while Volusia has 12 and Monroe has 10. Seven manatees were killed by boats in the Tampa Bay area, and Pinellas County saw two deaths.

"Watercraft collisions are the major threat to the manatee, long-term," Marine Mammal Pathology Laboratory veterinarian Martine de Wit told the Tampa Bay Times.

The number of manatees killed by humans this year exceeds the limit of 12 per year that a federal study said the animals could tolerate without going extinct, the Tampa Bay Times also reported.

One factor that may have led to the increased boat deaths is the uptick in the number of manatees. Earlier this year, the FWC reported that at least 6,250 of the animals were counted across the state, according to a previous report. Last year’s count was at 6,063, making 2015 and 2016 the only years on record with more than 6,000 manatees counted.

The service conducts aerial surveys every year during the cold season when the animals tend to huddle in warm springs.

The economy may also be a factor, as lower gas prices combined with an improving economy could help put more boats out on the water.

Continued waterfront development also cuts down manatees’ habitats and puts more boats in those areas.

MORE ON WEATHER.COM: Manatees Moved Into Freshwater Aquarium
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Here is is a screen shot of my 2007 420 dealer brochure...notice the up charge for the deisel engines....
    if I bought my boat new from the dealer, I probably wouldn't have ordered those engines...but since my boat came with them, I wouldn't trade them for ANYgas engine. 

• Options
    Which Volvo do you have?
  • Options
    Also, why would you not have gas motors? 
  • Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    I have Volvo IPS 500 375 hp,  great motors !!!!  But you are correct. That's the price of a nice new 26' bow rider