2001 Rinker 340 3200rpm

Comments

• CarsnmorellcCarsnmorellc Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Also when I press the buttons for the tabs to go down there is a oil substance that is released and you can see on the top of the water so I need to pull the boat out immediately as I do not want that in the lake.
    2001 340 Fiesta Vee 20P Hill Marine and 2 new 6.2 Horizon motors. Whine Down
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Electric or hyd tabs?  Either way not working is bad.  Oil in the water bad too.  I had an electric one crack and the current leak made a mess of my drives. 

Sounds like you are fuel limited.  Try running one off a 5-gal gas can instead of your fuel tank. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    @Black_Diamond I have no idea if mine are electric or hydraulic
    Lenco : electric
    Bennett : hyd.  These will have a hyd pump to run them. 

typically. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lenco and Bennett are brand names and they operate differently, is what BD is saying.  have had to replace mine. Tell us what brand name you have, will try and help.  
    Boat Name : 

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have the hydraulic it's in the pic when the motors were out. How put the motors in? I think exhaust blockage or fuel shortage. This boat was not put together right. These a carb. Motor or efi? 18000$ some one should be fixing this not you.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    I will look tomorrow and figure out what style tabs I have. The motor is EFI
    Thanks @reneechris14 for being able to look at past photos and let me know I have hydraulic tabs.
    The pumps in the pics are for the outdrive trim.  Betting they are Lenco electrics. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    @Black_Diamond okay I will go down tomorrow and look where would I find out the name or what would be different that way I know what to look for
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    The red pump to the right is your tab pump. They are hydraulic made by insta trim.

http://insta-trim.com/

2008 330EC
    Look at the switch as a start.  If you do not see a 3rd hyd pump to run the tabs, then electric. Also when you pull out of the water, name might still be on the actuators and look to see if it is wire or hyd hose going to the actuators.  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I have the same tabs on my 242. I had a line crack before the beginning of the season. Luckily I used longer than needed lines when I replaced them a few years ago and was able to cut out the damage and hook back up.
    2008 330EC
    @aero3113 how do I go about filling the system back up with fluid so I can find leak. From the photo is seems like a closed system. Also, what type of fluid goes in it?
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does this boat really need tabs to get up on plane??
    @J3ff I wouldn't think so but everyone on this forum says absolutely.
    @aero3113 how do I go about filling the system back up with fluid so I can find leak. From the photo is seems like a closed system. Also, what type of fluid goes in it?
    Just below the red pump cover is the white/clear reservoir attached to it. On the front of it you will see a rubber plug that just pulls out and you fill from there. You will need a very small funnel or find trim fluid that comes in a bottle with a small tip. Quick silver power steering / trim fluid.
    2008 330EC
    Thanks @aero3113 I appreciate it.  I will hopefully be able to pull it out tomorrow and check.
  • F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    buy a syringe filler..its hard to fill that resivoir up without one. you can use power steering fluid.

100% its your tabs... you need tabs to be able to get that boat on plane quick.

1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
    this is the one I have.  its a bugger to fill up without a syringe

@F1100 That's an awesome tip! 
    i tried using small funnels..ect... its a no go that way.... syringe type filler the only way without pissing stuff everywhere. :)  I just topped mine up this year... so just went thru it :)

I'm still confused as to why these models won't get on plane without tabs.  
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    @Carsnmorellc.....getting on plane also depends a lot on your HP to hull design. My EC 310 with twin 350 Mags (biggest engines available for that model) and my EC 360 with 8.2 Mags (biggest engines available for that model) would easily get on plane with tabs fully retracted due to the significant HP available for both hull sizes. If I used the tabs fully down I had to be very quick to retract them - actually almost as soon as the throttles reached half travel or I would get serious bow steer.

However many boats require full tabs down and drives fully negative to get on plane quickly or with loads. That is normal for many boats. With such a situation as I approached plane (or very shortly thereafter) I would begin retracting my tabs fully (as long as I was not getting porpoising) then I would "tap" the drives up slightly until I got porpoising then "tap" them lightly back down until the porpoising stopped. On my 310 I had a bit of latitude with bringing the drives up after the tabs were fully retracted. On mt 360 the drives usually liked full negative trim.

I only ever used tabs to balance the boat due to unusual wind, current or load situations - otherwise they were always fully retracted.

For example, the instant I applied tabs I could see the loss of MPH and therefore increase in GPH due to the drag created.

BTW....Have you had someone look at your trim ram shims. Sometimes those plastic shims get reversed which changes the your ability to use full positive/negative "attitude" of your drives. This may make some difference.

That said, I still think there is another issue - throttle linkage reduced travel or, as has been suggested a fuel or exhaust restriction.

IMO bottom line - if the technicians who installed you engines can't figure out what is happening the wrong guys got your money. They should want to solve your problem as a matter of professional pride.

Too bad you didn't live closer to Al!
    Techs should be back out on the boat today.  Marina opens at 9 am.  Problem with where I have my boat, Lake Keowee.  Is there is only 1 marina... and the average size of boats here are around 20 feet and all outboards.  They only have one in board tech.  In all reality if this is not fixed by winter I will have it pulled out and taken to the coast to be worked on.  Costing me even more $$$.  At this point I could have bought the 360 I really wanted but I for once decided to try and save money and listen to friends who said the 360 was too much boat. Oh well, live and learn.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    F1100 said:
    buy a syringe filler..its hard to fill that resivoir up without one. you can use power steering fluid.

100% its your tabs... you need tabs to be able to get that boat on plane quick.

Try using a turkey baster to fill it. I agree boat will plane out much faster with tabs down. Quick question, once your boat was on plane did it run right then?????
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    @raybo3 Yes! Rpms went right up. I had to back the throttles off for a smooth ride. It was so great!! Need to do it everytime. 
    Something to check:  the drive ram pin thru the drive has a cresent shaped spacer, it needs to be Forward of the pin to pull the drives in closer when trimmed down. 

My experince is mechanics F this up a lot.  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
    @Black_Diamond can you give me a illustration or a photo I'm going to jump in the water and that will be the first thing I check today. I think I have an idea what you're talking about but I want to make sure.