Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    Good Job Aero!  It is the first thing I've done with my last two boats.  Both for heat and energy usage.  I have finally talked several of my dock neighbors into it as well.  I have white in the salon and warm white in the staterooms.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,838 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Dream_Inn , it’s a no brainer. If all of the original lights were on at the same time, that would be 400 watts being used. Now only 40 watts!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020

I've been slow to switch to led. On the sailboat it was my first upgrade as  i didnt have a generator or a 350 with alternator to crank up and charge batteries. I relied on a 50 watt solar panel and 2 house batteries. My cabin/ nav lights are next. The housings for my '93 vintage cockpit lights are too cloudy and chrome too bubbled to do just bulbs.  I'm adding blue led accent lights to all my cubby holes. 
  • Options
    I wasn't supposed to get time to work on the boat today but i worked in a few hours.  Even got the step light installed. I despise all the filthy pics, cutting fiberglass is a very dusty job, no sense in cleaning it until all cutting is done and the cabin has all the carpet removed and floors prepped for new. 
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    @aero3113, changing to led is something I’ve wanted to do but could never figure out how to access bulb.  How do you get the center lens off the fixture?  

Would you say the color is the same?  If so, have you got the link where you bought them?
  • Options
    @Spyderweb , all you have to do is stick your fingernail in where the metal ring is and pull down. 
    I can’t find the 2 watt bulbs but here is a link to 6 watt. Yes, I got warm white and it was an exact color match. I should’ve taken a side by side pick with the old and new bulbs to show the match.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263634142864

2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited January 2020
  • Options
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
    Changing every boat or RV bulb to LED has been one of my first upgrades everytime.  I have tons of additional lighting on the boat, and it doesn't even phase the batteries, even when left on for hours at a time, including all the lighting under the swim platform. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    really miss all the room i had while the motor was out.  I did make it a point maneuver things around where its easy to access the trim pump to add fluid or replace solenoids if needed. Im not supper stoked at how the water lines are run, i may cut out/replace them to get them out of the mid section of the platform, that would be a later project.  Im ready to start enjoying my winter, I've got lots of hockey to play and i have not hit the ice since starting this semi restoration process.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    And the LED bulbs are 2 watt where the originals were 20 watt.
    I replaced mine as well. Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to access the bulb, so I replaced the fixture. You are correct, they save a ton on energy consumption and heat!!!

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I had planned on ripping out carpet in the floor of the cabin, laying down new vinly and then using teak trim to cover the lay over.

Once i got the carpet off the floor I realized i had more soft wood needing attention.  

Guess who has more 3/4 inch ply and fiberglass laying around???   Sadly im almost out of resin thanks to the transom rebuild so I'll order more 4:1 on Monday.  I have just enough to coat the new wood floor underside and i will glue it to the hull  with PL adhesive. I can tab it when my resin arrives, most likely thurs or friday.  Either way this adds another weekend to my list of to do's.  Being done with everything but new pin stripes/vinyl name and painting hull is all still on the list but i want to put it off until spring when wet sanding is easier as well as use of the heat fun to remove old vinyl.

The po ran the AC power  line for thr TV right in the way, this is going away before the new floor goes down.  

Was going to install the outdrive last night, managed to tear my gasket, it was the last one i had on the shelf.  3 more kits on order.  

This is becoming a pita!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah..but the fun is around the corner and you confidently launch and on to new adventures. I need to get mine home and check my bielge pumps and the float switch ....should be nice this next weekend..
  • Options
    just in case any of you guys who are wondering what kind of tools im using, this multi tool from harbor freight eats fiberglass like warm butter.  A zip wheel on a side grinder is quicker and will also go through the bottom of the hull quickly.  This tool isnt overly aggressive, it wont buck out of your hand.  Its sub 30 bucks at habor freight, i usually get @ 2 years use out of them before the brushes go.  I toss and buy new. 

New floor cut and ready for coat of epoxy.  

I am ready for summer, i plan on getting her in the water come april.  She's going to be much more livable this season and i will have much more confidence in her ability. 

• Options
    Sometimes the Harbor Freight tools come with an extra set of brushes.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    These do some with new brushes.  I've just keep throwing them out by accident.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    I pulled out my entire vacuflush from the boat today.  I brought it home to add vacuum and find the leak.  Last winter I had put all new duckbills (4 of them) in and all new seals in the toilet.  Sealed up around my icemaker (where I have access), thinking all was good for a while.  I put up with it the entire summer!  Well, right now it looks like my duck bills just wasn't holding!  After the whole process of removing the entire thing, just to find out it was something simple like the new duck bills.  Oh well, while I have it out I'm going to clean it out and lube it to see if I can quieten it up.  

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I replaced one of my dash panels.  Added an led digital volt gauge and dual USB chargers where the old control panel was for the fish finder a P.O. had insalled.  Makes the others look like crap so i guess this week i get to make another for the gauge pods.  
  • Options
    Crappy ran 110v wire for the TV/dvd player has been moved.  Much cleaner.  The other will be moved port side for the coffee maker. I spent all last summer without coffee, not happening this year.    The wire yellow wire will be covered by teak trim once new carpet has been laid down.  I wanted vinyl but im worried that sunscreen plus water plus bare feet will make it slick.  Im. Only doing carpet from v berth down to floor.  

Anyone with a smaller sub 26 footrt have ideas for a kurig on board?  
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
    Kuerig?  Hahahaha......use a Jet Boil and make real coffee!  
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    I will look into a jet boil.  

Finished the gauge and ignition panels.

Not fancy.  Functional, cheap, durable and better than the cracked oem ones.  These are the oem gauges as far as i know.  I need more cleaning but im not at the cleaning stages yet.

• Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    @PickleRick Very nice improvement
  • Options
    Thank you.  Now i just need the rain to stop so i can fiberglass over the new cabin floor.  Then on to carpet and hanging the new outdrive.
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    like the white gauges like the white gauges had them on my last boat in the cabin I put the vinyl floor I think it’s easier to keep clean than the carpet 
  • Options
    Id much rather use the roll of vinyl i have left over from doing my bathroom remodel, my cabin floor isnt exactly flat, would take more time than i want to put into it to make it sit flat enough to lay down the vinyl.  As much as i like this boat i want a larger one so I'm having to force myself to leave well enough alone in certain areas.

I think im going to lay down outdoor carpet with Velcro strips and teak trim.  At the end of the season i can unscrew the trim, pull out carpet for pressure washing and/or carpet cleaning vacuum then reinstall.  

I did get my stereo system wired.

I scored an old Ample amplifier.  I love old school stereo equipment.  My excursion is rocking an old 90-early 2000s Rockford fosgate amp and twp elemental designs subs from the same era.   my ample amp is 4 channel, i think 1000 wyatt.  

Have two 8 inch kenwood 2 ways and two pyle 6.5 inch hydra 3 ways.

Not a bad sounding stereo for my music taste.  

• Options
    Here is the material im using for my instrument panels.

Cuts great with a dremel or zip wheel.  

I think this is a 2x3 ft piece for @ 50 buck's. 

I used the textured side but you could use the smooth side and cover with vinyl of your choice.  
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,572 mod
    I got rid of my analog gauges, but I might have to install one of these just for the novelty of seeing "65" on there.

• Options
    javhavjavhav Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    @LaRea please don't do it
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭
    Even a glass cockpit of new aircraft have an analog airspeed indicator/altimeter and horizon. Okay, dropping out of the sky from a total instrument failure is different to a boat but it’s still a good backup plan. Don’t we all still have a Danfoss (or similar) despite our plotters and GPS?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/