Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Nice @Cableguy Greg , I would say that would stop the leak!
    I hope so. There was a 1/16” gap on the one side. That is now filled in. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    John41John41 Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    I have a leak also on my port side front bed. I tried sealing around the rail base and screws and the water was still coming in. I also pulled the rub rail off and filled in all the holes and I’m still getting water inside. I’m making me crazy!! Lol
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

The sanding contintues.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Starting to look pretty good there Rick! Did you put new stripes on?
  • Options
    Got my new charger installed yesterday. Still have to bond it. It fired right up and started charging the batteries right away. 

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 885 ✭✭✭
    "I saw some water stains where my transom locker hand rail mounts. I pulled it off and straightened the threaded rods (they were slightly bent from tying to it for shrink wrap) and sealed with 3M 4200. Would be nice to do this to everything that’s through mounted to the hull."

@aero3113 This was one of the 1st things I noticed the 1st time I saw my boat. No big concern, easy to fix.  Or so I thought.  That transom door is hollow.  And water enters at the bolt holes and gets trapped inside.  Discovered that in the Spring when I took possession and started working on the boat.  If you take the struts off, you can open the door higher.  When raising and lowering the door, I could hear water sloshing around inside.  Raise it all the way up, water drips out bolt holes then stops.  Drop the door, raise it again, and more water comes out.  Did this several days till it stopped, left the inside holes open to hopefully dry out, then sealed it up like you did.  Checked that project off the list.

Several weeks later, with boat finally moved up to my marina, I noticed more rust water seeping out of the inside holes.  Removed railing again.  Now drilled several holes in bottom, inside of door to let water drain out better.  Every time we went to boat, I would spend some time blowing hair drier up holes to help dry thing out.  Would stuff edge of paper towel up holes to check for moisture.  Which I continued to find.  Back to the hair drier.  It wasn't until end of July that I finished that "easy fix".  This time, in addition to feeling comfortable I dried things out, I filled the 3 bolt holes with epoxy, re-drilled out, and mounted the railing, this time sealing with butyl tape.  So far she looks good.

I wish you luck with yours.
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Starting to look pretty good there Rick! Did you put new stripes on?

On the list after bottom paint.  Will do a more updated style/custom vinyl graphics.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Spyderweb when I had the rail out, I think I remember seeing the holes sealed around the edges. Hopefully I’m right, I’ll recheck when I get a chance. I should be able to see if I just remove the nut and washer on the back side.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    State of Mich extended the personal distance order until the end of April now. That includes marinas. Going to be a massive scramble to get ready to launch for everyone assuming we get a go on May 1. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options

About a 1/3 of the port side is done now.

Marine grade stool for me to sit on while sanding.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need a little padding 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I have 4 brand new seats but im not sure im using these pedastools. I may shorten them to use on storage boxes,   

More sanding done.  Im ready to block her up now.  

Im taking a break to eat lunch then it's time to install the new manifolds and risers.  
  • Options
    @PickleRick, sanding sucks. I sanded the bottom paint off my boat last spring. It took forever using a random orbital palm sander. I was blue for days!!! Your boat is looking good. Keep up the good work. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I received the couplers to finish my blower ducts today. Installed with 3M 5200 and tie wraps. Glad this is off the list!

2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Black zip ties on white tubing?!  :open_mouth:
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    Black zip ties on white tubing?!  :open_mouth:
    LoL, that’s how the originals were, keeping it factory original  :D .
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Replaced trim tab blades could not install upside down do to the piano hinge.  Scraped the area of bottom paint it appears that there is a barrier coat of gray. There was plent of sealer on the old blade was able to clean it off sand the gel coat clean with acetone and reapply with 5200 think it is sealed up good. Do have to get new hardware for the bottom of the cylinder. Think I will paint the cylinders with bottom paint to keep barnacles away.
  • Options
    Rinker must of had Lenco make the tab that way 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Rinker must of had Lenco make the tab that way 
    On my 08 the tabs are installed the opposite way. 99% positive it came from the factory like that.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Apparently i went all season without a working shift interrupt switch.  I am always low, slow and precise with shifting so it would never grind. If i had currents or heavy winds to deal with im sure id have noticed.

Well. It's assembled properly now.  
  • Options
    @PickleRick , I thought the shift interrupt switch needed to be functional in order to shift smoothly or even shift at all?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Interrupt switch will not activate unless there is a load on the prop ie current or boat moving while trying to shift in different direction.  I always approach docks/beach slowly so I've never had it bind. My lake doesnt have a noticeable current in most locations and other than storms the winds are light and variable.  That is why a stretched shift cable will kill the engine when trying to shift.  When properly adjusted and functional the switch will not activate when boat is still in water, very slow speeds or on muffs.  You really need a helper to hold tension on prop while you  shift gears and test the function of the switch.  

While ive been in several strong storms aboard the rinker, i always drop anchor in leeward cove and ride it out.  These little flat hull trailer boats pound in close/square waves kicked up by storms. 

Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Options
    new manifolds installed

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I spent this morning cleaning the B3 SS props with muratic acid and also did the trim tabs. Also replaced the B3 'rear cover' o-ring and re-filled drive oil.

Tomorrow if weather holds up will wire brush the few spots on the drive and touch up some spots with paint, reinstall props and maybe put the biminis back on so I can install the enclosure and work even in the rain.

Still have to re-install my swim platform, mount 1 new battery box, reseal everything on stern with 4200 and fix my shower sump. Should be done after all that. oh, and buff and wax boat...lol
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did the old manifolds look??
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Took the tarps off mine today, put up the canvas, I also reconfigured the front of my PVC frame to make it easier to put the tarps on in the fall.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I guess I won't complain about my winterize and de winterize procedures anymore. My springtime procedure consist of flushing the freshwater system of antifreeze, wash boat in and out, and turn off my bilge heater. Oh yeah and I have to re stock the refrigerator. We've been out 3 times so far in the last couple weeks but not really anywhere to go since all the marinas with services we go to are ghost town. 

With all the time I have spent on here though I have a list of things to do to the boat now and all sorts of stuff on order. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    How did the old manifolds look??
    They looked really good. Not much rust at all. I posted them up for sale locally.  

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭
    just cur just curious why did you change them if they were good ?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Preventative maintance.  In fresh water these manifolds are known to last 20 years.  Being the service history had been questionable at best on this boat i figured it best to swap them out. 

If im pulling them to inspect im not reinstalling.  Nuwave marine had these shipped for less than 800.  

Since fall, transom, stinger and motor mount rebuild. New fuel tank, new cabin floor, new carpet, rebuilt gauge and ignition switch back plates.  New trim hoses.  New bellows. New water pump. New fuel filter and oil change.  Outdrive oil change.  Added amp and 4 new speakers, added a toaster oven. Led light conversion. Built a v berth table.  Added a gps/chart plotter/fish finder

Im sure I've done more that im forgetting