Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    Boat finally splashes today. Should be an interesting trip to the dock...

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    perfect weather here so far today. My gimball sounds like the rear end of an 80s model chevy truck.  Oem gimball and gimball removal tool is on order.

On the land cruiser site i was a memeber of we used to do mud share or mud ship.  We assisted with shipping of parts or sharing of tools. When someone was traveling from Jersey to Florida they advertised if they had space, transmissions, axles, hoods. In return the seller or buyer chipped in gas money.  

I have an alignment tool and will soon have a removal tool later this week. If any members need to borrow said tool i will charge shipping plus replacement value via paypal or venmo.  Return her to me and i refund replacement value in full minus paypal or venmo fees is applicable.  

If i don't need it yet you pass the buck to the next member in need if there is a line of members needing the tool(s).

The land cruiser guys did this with many specialty tools.  

The alpha 1 and bravo use the same gimball bearing and alignment tools.  

Fingers crossed i will only need the tools an hour or two
  • Options
    shawnmjr said:
    TonyG13 said:
    Boat finally splashes today. Should be an interesting trip to the dock...

Not a good first run, be careful out there. 
    Everything went extremely well. Two hours start to finish. Half riverside, second half lakeside. Through the locks, differential between river and lake was about 7 feet. Lake level was about 1 foot from topping lock gate. Lake had 3-5 footers, but based on wind direction and course we cut through waves fairly easily. We even gave a tow to a 30' sailboat that got to the mouth of our harbor then couldn't start her engine to get the rest of the way to her dock. Never towed a boat before so just took it nice and slow and got her safely in. At this point I felt having an Axius joystick was well worth the extra price!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s great @TonyG13 , you get the good boaters award also for helping the sailboat!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    That’s great @TonyG13 , you get the good boaters award also for helping the sailboat!
    Thanks @aero3113 - When we were approaching, another sailboat had just refused them help and motored away. Then one of the crew did the "help" wave and we came alongside and I said I had never done a tow, but they were so nice I couldn't refuse. One of their crew came aboard our boat and we let out a line. Everything went so smoothly and the Axius responded to my input exactly how I wanted. I can't believe how well I did. I did worse trying to get back into our own slip after we dropped them off.  :)
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    Finally launched boat Monday, after a delay from Covid kept boaters from doing work on their boats.  Finished installing the new charger and isolator, and assembled and installed new Mantus anchor.  Found a great spot to install new mount for iPad to display VVM that I set up last year.  So good to be on the water again.

• Options
    Looking good @Spyderweb !!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    I put in new PCV valves, something that’s cheap and always overlooked. I think my starboard side was sticking.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Spyder - you are gonna love that Mantus anchor. 

I got one last year, it's incredible. Bites immediately.

(should put a swivel on it to keep your chain 
    from kinking up)
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭
    What model/make is the iPad mount @Spyderweb, looking to do the same with mine.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    @icoultha Here's the mount.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00NIVGNE0/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all
    I was a bit concerned if it would stick.  It's a sticky pad plus suction and seems pretty firm once mounted.  The sticky pad is also washable and will regain stickiness when it gets dirty.  I have it on a smooth surface.  I took the iPad off of it (very easy) during day at anchor just to take weight off of it.  Put it back on for trip home at night and continues to seem quite firm.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    @mattie what's the sea bottom where you are getting good performance with the Mantus?  I'm always interested to hear how anchors perform.  
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    LaRea said:
    @mattie what's the sea bottom where you are getting good performance with the Mantus?  I'm always interested to hear how anchors perform.  
    Lotsa hard & soft bottom. Sand, mud, clay....some weedy stuff, often in good current. (St. Clair River) Had good luck in past with Delta plow anchors.
    Our 2014 came with a stainless Blue Star (Delta like) anchor - it looked spectacular but performed like crap. Dragging everywhere. Flopping on its side.

Got a Mantus last summer. Spectacular. It will literally set in its own length. Watch some Mantus vids. There are a few companies making these new generation anchors. I got a galvanized one cause I wanted to try it 1st without shelling out for stainless. Hindsight, I should’ve got the stainless off the hop. Very happy with it.

Post edited by mattie on
  • Options
    The videos of the Mantus are impressive. 

I love the look of a stainless anchor, but with a price tag of 2-3 boat units, I'd hate to lose one.  
  • Options
    Here's a pic of the most beautiful but useless anchor on earth.

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not had an issue with my delta anchor dragging and when I pull it up it is definitely anchored. You can hear it in the windlass and it pulls my boat toward the anchor before it breaks loose and pulls up. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Ditto ... my Delta holds great in the mud/sand of the Potomac and Chesapeake.  Of course, I'm usually putting out 60 feet of chain in 5 feet of water, so that would make any anchor look good.  

You want to talk about a useless anchor ...

At a marina a couple years ago, I had a random encounter with a full-time cruising couple in a Fleming 58.  The bow had two truly beautiful 100-pound stainless steel anchors.  I'd guess $5k each.  The captain told me that anchoring was not his cup of tea, and neither anchor had ever been in the water!  
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I have not had an issue with my delta anchor dragging and when I pull it up it is definitely anchored. You can hear it in the windlass and it pulls my boat toward the anchor before it breaks loose and pulls up. 
    Hey, I had zero issues with my past Lewmar Deltas. They were awesome.

Now the one in the pic above was total garbage. Looks like a Delta.......ain’t a Delta!
    Made for a good depth sounder tho...
    #chineseKnockoff

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    Just bought a new 14lb (or 13lb) Delta plow anchor this spring to replace our fluke style anchor that didn't quite fit in our roller and was bent. The fluke held well. Have about 6' of heavier chain (maybe 1/2"). Typically anchor in about 20-25' of Ohio River water. No problems with the fluke. Anchored 3 times so far with the delta. Twice on the Ohio with no issues with about 60' of line out. Once on the Beaver River tributary and we drug that time. Moved about 50' in about an hour so no biggie. But I only had about 40' of line out since it is a narrower river.
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    Replaced our horn that quit a couple weeks ago
  • Options
    MiamiAGMiamiAG Member Posts: 210 ✭✭
    Had the AC descaled due to constant HPF errors. The charge was $589. It’s a loot more than I remember paying a few years ago.

I was desperate as I’m boating down to Key West next Friday and need the AC running but still feel like I got robbed... Oh well, the cold AC will make up for it.
    2013 290 ec - Volvo Penta D4/DP
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're going to Key West $589 will likely be cheap. Spent 4 days there two winters ago. Hit about every bar in town. Anybody asks me what it's like to go to Key West I just tell them to throw 2000 bucks out the window and bang your head against the wall until you have the biggest headache of your life.....I'd do it again in a heartbeat.🤣
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mattie said:
    Here's a pic of the most beautiful but useless anchor on earth.

Kind of like our prime minister in Canada.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    this tool makes pulling a gimball so easy any one could do it.  Will post pics of my alignment bar/install bar tomorrow evening.

New bearing is in the freezer. Rain halted any further progress tonight.
  • Options
    installing is a little harder.  Installing using an alignment tool helps make it go in straight.
  • Options
    have the leg remounted.  Was easy once i got the new gimball pointed in the right direction.  

I couldn't get the shift cables adjusted properly solo, had to get the kiddo to hold/spin the prop as i shifted/adjusted.

Spent an hour solo, once he came out it took 10 min.  He's the marine mechanic.

Also removed the pos computer monitor with no remote.  It quit working our first weekend out.  I now have a cheap china made 24 inch tv with remote.  

My oscillating fan had also quit, found blown fuse.  Easy fix.  

Now time to do some yard work. Im avoiding the lake this weekend.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EV foam decking feels nice and looks nice swimplatfrom in the morning.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It totally transforms the boat - looks great!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dog thinks so too :D
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    brought her home.