Options

Cost of Boat Ownership

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
With it being -15F out today and nothing better to do, I was reflecting back on our first year as owners of our first cruiser. It had been a long time dream and we had planned for several years before jumping in. I had no illusions about costs, I knew it would not be cheap. You can justify it however you want, compare it to golf memberships, the cost of owning a vacation property, travelling and staying in accommodations etc. but the reality is you need a deep wallet. I had thought maybe around $6000 a year, turns out I was at least a couple of grand low. Fuel was a big cost but my attitude is that I'm not going to own a boat to just sit in a slip (many at our marina do) and if I am going someplace, it'll be on plane. I actually think that my average cost of about $28/Hr was reasonable. All dollar figures shown are CDN, so discount by about 20% for US exchange.
I'm a very analytical person. I just have a need to know. So I took a few minutes to put together the table below. It helps me as far as planning future expenditures, and may help others who may be thinking about taking the plunge. I should add that this is likely a bottom end costing. Although we love our FV270 and it is more than adequate for our current needs, most would consider it an entry level cruiser. Single engine and drive to run and maintain, no generator to maintain or fuel, lower slip fee, but just a solid starting platform.
There are also likely a multitude of things I forgot, likely another $500 or so. That little tool or part I thought I needed, little extras for the cabin, etc. I also did not include the cost of entertainment/food/booze. Likely another $2000 over the cost of the summer. That extra case of beer, the stops at dock side restaurants, food for guests. I didn't include it because I figure I'd do a lot of that anyway, boat or no boat. But likely a little more with the boat. Add another $2000 for the 4 day trip we did to Georgian Bay and the half a dozen or so overnights at other marinas. We would have taken a summer vacation somewhere anyway and likely spent about the same. But if you do add it all up, our first year of operation was likely around $14,000 but as shown below, some of that was one time and start up costs.
Here's the break down:

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minus slip fee I am with you
  • Options
    I'd live to have your "slip" @Handymans342 but I imagine the initial purchase and annual taxes are more than my finances would allow.  :p
  • Options
    Well I don't have bottom painting or winterization either. Plus I dont have time to use it either. Still working full time. 
  • Options
    Aww....crap. Forgot winterization. Add another $300.

I'm kind of in the same situation Handy. I was semi-retired, worked about 3 days a week to help a local company. But to be honest, I was too young and started to feel like I was wasting away, so when the company recently asked me to take on a new full time position I agreed. Not sure how I'll like it when boating season rolls around again, but I'm sure the Admiral will like the additional fuel money....
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's easy to say it will be at least 10,000 per year. you cannot count food and beer, as you are going to eat and drink beer anyway. No mater what your hobby is. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    you also don't  have the initial purchase of the boat here?  regardless of if you pay in cash or finance, there is a cost for that as well.
    I am impressed that you didn't spend more than that with initial, one time purchases as well.  I seem to spend thousands every year on "stuff" for the boat?
    I would love to do that for my boat, but am afraid the admiral would find it and make me sell it...lol.
  • Options
    seguirseguir Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
    I have roughly the same breakdown.  We have a 2009 280EC.  This spring we have major outdrive service and expect a bill around $3500. 
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I keep my 2007 280 EC on a trailer - $840 a year. I wish we had $3k slips around here!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the same ballpark as you around 10k us$ per year.
    4k slip
    3k fuel
    3k maintenance, haul out , wrap, winterizing 
    Time on water is priceless!!
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    What would you do with that 10G if you didnt have a boat?
  • Options
    The admiral would have rebuilding the house. She says it's and investment but that's no fun. Did that the 1st 20 years. Sold that house double my money and bought a bigger house. Did I say boats are more fun.
  • Options
    Boats are a great enjoyment and getaway if you can use them every weekend or better yet when you retire
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    What would you do with that 10G if you didnt have a boat?
    Probably go on fancy vacations. I don't even want to think what I've spent this year, but it's more than what I spent on my first boat (24') years ago.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Nothing I enjoy as much as boating! It’s worth every penny.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Boating keeps me from driving cars on race tracks, which is even more expensive than boating.  I could never afford to stop boating.  The more time I spend boating, the more money I save. 
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I added mine up a few months ago. Including $2000 for new canvas I was about $5000 for the year for a 25'er. Slip fees were about $1300. I do maintenance myself and being on a river with locks and dams it limits our trips. We have a couple of spots we like to anchor so we generally only go a few miles from the marina and anchor so we only went through about $500 in fuel (about 25 hours this year).
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    While @Willhound has done an awesome job (......I wish those had been the costs of ownership and usage of my Rnker cruisers - EC 310 and EC 360 LOL) I measured boat ownership means other than financial costs. The benefits to me were the value of times spent with family and friends - particularly the children and grand children (better on the water than in someone's friggin' basement or at a mall), fresh air, exercise and relaxation. Plus it's pretty hard to beat the thrill of winding your engine(s) -up and punching out of the hole as well as being one of the last places to "motor" that doesn't have a set of lines painted on the route!

BTW .....Enjoy the cost of gas (diesel for Handy) while you can. the enviro nuts are already lobbying for all-electric boats. :-)
  • Options
    Have to absolutely agree, you can't put a price in the intrinsic value and enjoyment we all derive from our various Rinker's. That sense of freedom out on the water, the pride of ownership and keeping her "ship shape", the time with family and friends etc. My little exercise in accounting was something I was interested in figuring out and to give me a benchmark going forward. Others may find it interesting or useful also, if only to prove how insane we all are! ;)
  • Options
    Just budget 10 G a year and your good
  • Options
    seguir said:
    I have roughly the same breakdown.  We have a 2009 280EC.  This spring we have major outdrive service and expect a bill around $3500. 
    I am looking at the same. It might just be an upper drive shaft seal, in which case under $500. But if the shaft is scored (and I have a feeling it is) it could be closer to your figure. Mechanic says he might also be able to clean up the shaft and install a sleeve. Won't know until he takes it all apart later this winter.
  • Options
    What would this baby take to maintain???
  • Options
    Slip fee's, bottom cleaning by a diver, keeping it clean, oil change's, annual maintenance. Would exceed my annual budget. But mister, I would love to captain/ live aboard,  that for a couple month"s
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Cost doesn't matter if you can see it from your pool handy. It's only money you can make more.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    I always figure the annual operating budget is 10% to 15% of the boat's value, not including the alcohol budget (which, on an Aicon 56, could be significant).  
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    BOAT after all is an acronym and not a noun......

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    and a 4 letter word............
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll drink to that. Not for faint of heart for sure..
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @icoultha agreed BOAT. Being Out At Teller.
  • Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Yes boating is expensive, Dirtythirty is spot on as far a the reality of costs. I am in the "boater" category......boating is my passion and my favorite thing to do. My dad loved boats as well and we always had boats growing up.  To me, the experiences and memories created on the water along with just the relaxing and calming effect of the water make it worth every penny. Sunny summer afternoons on my boat with friend and family, music playing, cold beverages, visiting beautiful places - priceless. Many family members and friends would never get that experience unless I had my boat. I can't tell you how many times people told me that the day out on our boat was one of their favorite days of summer. Life is about creating experiences, enjoying life, nature, visiting new places. I love it and don't fret over the expense.