Options

Cost of Boat Ownership

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dry storage is 50 bucks a month...for sure typically buy fuel on land...finishing up 2 months in slip that was 300 a month...wish I could do that year round as it sure is nice to stop by the boat and have a beer!
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    Insurance $1050
    Indoor winter cold storage $1250
    Summer stacking indoors $3500
    Winterize fall/spring start $1000
    =$6,800 CDN

Obviously running the boat costs are on top. Doesn't include preventative maintenance. Batteries, impellers, etc.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Uhhmmm. I wouldn't do that to yourselves guys .... don't let sanity prevail ... you'll never own a boat then. LOL.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MarkB said:
    Uhhmmm. I wouldn't do that to yourselves guys .... don't let sanity prevail ... you'll never own a boat then. LOL.
    My point exactly MB. The joy received does not equal the $ pain
  • Options
    Cost = $ and time ... lots of time invested too.  For me, it ended up being ... all that $ and time investment to get out 4 or 5 times a year ... it just didn't make sense. If you're able to get on it multiple times a week, and throughout the year ... totally different proposition.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    raybo3 said:
    IMHO its a quality of life that comes with boating. Getting out on the water is only a part of it. I spend almost everyday at the club and "down at the boat". Spend weekends there and I only live 3 miles from the club. So yes boating to me is worth it. But it sure is a heII of a lot of money....... Just say'n 
    It's like an EX
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    I pay $7224 per year for a wet slip, plus $3000 on insurance without any maintenances, fuel or food.  But every time a take the boat out for a ride and drink a cold Heineken at anchor. I forget everything about the cost of owning my boat.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    For me it is $6800 a year for a lift slip. $1k for insurance and anywhere from $4-10k a yr in maint or upgrades. I def couldn't imagine life without it anymore. I wish I could also have the club life also to meet like minded folks but can't afford the Annapolis rates. I need ones with more sweat equity required.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a barter deal 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    I'm close to $4k per year for my slip.  I own my lift (so that was an initial cost).  Insurance is ~$1k.  I do my own winterization and have a cover, so that is maybe 3-500 bucks including oil changes.  Probably another $3k or more each year for things that need fixed that I can't do (outdrives, gimbals, alignment, etc...).  That is the number that can really vary, as I've purchased 3 new drives total for this boat.

@davidbrooks We need to raft up some time since we are so close.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn definitely.  Lets make it happen this summer.  I have been trying to move closer to Annapolis and get a house on the water.  Actually build.  I thought i had one almost on contract but it doesnt look like it is going to happen now.  If you all think boat prices have gotten expensive you should see what i am seeing with the cost of real estate and construction costs.  I am being told even things like plumbing materials cost 40% more than the previous year.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    oscar1 said:
    I pay $7224 per year for a wet slip, plus $3000 on insurance without any maintenances, fuel or food.  But every time a take the boat out for a ride and drink a cold Heineken at anchor. I forget everything about the cost of owning my boat.
    Whoa, $3k for insurance?? That is very high, why so much? Should be like $1 to $1.5k.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    ~$2700 for a 35 ft slip for 6 months for me.  ~$1500 to store inside cold.  Guessing $125ish to wondering.  $275 for trailer storage each summer
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Progressive Insurances prices in miami are very very bad. It is complete ripoff. I have an agreed value for $100,000 and $500,000 liability. I also have insurance my dinghy and the 5hp outboard, plus 125 nautical miles services for my trip to the Bahamas. I got a quote for boatus last year and it was worse. I may have to start looking for a different provide next year.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @oscar1Also try Sea Insure through SeaTow.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I will read the thread to get some ideas for my next insurance quote. Appreciated 
  • Options
    oscar1 said:
    Progressive Insurances prices in miami are very very bad. It is complete ripoff. I have an agreed value for $100,000 and $500,000 liability. I also have insurance my dinghy and the 5hp outboard, plus 125 nautical miles services for my trip to the Bahamas. I got a quote for boatus last year and it was worse. I may have to start looking for a different provide next year.
    Yeah, that's bad. I had full replacement value on my boat ... just shy of $100k (and it was actually full brand new replacement value), and liability was $2 million. Deductibles were low. I paid like $1200 a year.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't we have this conversation last year about Florida? I think Florida is just expensive given all the boating and environment 🤷🏽‍♂️
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I don't understand how insurances has different prices by location, because I have an agreed value to replace it in Florida or any other state, but I have to pay more due to my location. Even i don't have any lien-holder in my boat. Insurances are the best business.
  • Options
    oscar1 said:
    I don't understand how insurances has different prices by location, because I have an agreed value to replace it in Florida or any other state, but I have to pay more due to my location. Even i don't have any lien-holder in my boat. Insurances are the best business.
    Hurricane's
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also in FL boating is year round vs up north where you have two weeks.. 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    Don’t rub it in @rasbury !!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7500 a year for a slip 1500 for insurance. 5000 for whatever breaks and gas.  I try not to pay attention to it 🤣
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Sure, but our thieves don't rest over Christmas. LOL.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    @Michael T, good to hear from you!
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    @Michael T !! Great to hear from you!  Total agree.  I answer to several masters, as I'm also putting my mechanic's kids through college.  
  • Options
    You guys that make heaps of money obviously could care less what your toys cost or how much it takes to maintain them. Just cut another check. No biggie 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You cannot take it with you. 
    Boat Name :