Options

Cost of Boat Ownership

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Well said luvin!  We use the heck out of our boat every summer as well.  We don't take that many friends out very often (mainly cause they all have something going or we always go overnight), but they do meet us sometimes on Friday night at the dock(if we are there) or somewhere anchored.  Once in while they mention the expense, but I usually say "well, we all spend it somewhere" and leave it that.  But it's mostly anchoring with other boating friends that know exactly why we do it almost every weekend. :) 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    Hoping now that we are in a marina rather than trailering we will meet some boating friends to anchor with and share weekends. We,too, stay over often but typically bring guests back to the dock at the end of the day. A 270 technically sleeps 4 but you need to be good friends in those confines to add another person or couple for overnight. 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hah! Curious that this post from over a month ago got revived. Must be winter. When I started the thread I saw it as a way of providing a point of view of our experience as first time "cruisers". I've been around and owned boats for over 40 years, but mostly smaller runabouts and fishing craft, small lakes and rivers, day use only. As I originally stated, we thought long and hard before taking the step to becoming "boaters" as a lifestyle choice and a recreational outlet. Over the years I've golfed, fished and hunted (still do to an extent) and had a few other hobbies but I would have to say that this is the largest commitment we have made, not only in dollars but also in time, thought and direction in life. It is definitely an addiction. Now that we have a season under our belt I know that it is something I will enjoy for many years to come. The cost break down I provided was an exercise I thought might be useful for anyone else contemplating making the commitment. I agree that you can't really put a price on the enjoyment, the friends and good times that large craft boating brings. I do however take a bit of an exception to the attitude that "if you have to ask, you can't afford it", or "cost is no object to the end result". Just as there are many of us on here that have had success in life, or good luck financially there are others who have worked long and hard and gotten to a point in life where they can make the choice to become boaters, but the cost, or at least keeping an eye on the dollars will always be a consideration. In my opinion this latter group deserves just as much respect and consideration as the group that doesn't worry about the price of happiness.
    In the end we all share a common dream.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound After reading your post we know how old you are  :)

A off topic question for you, I'm looking to invest in a company in your town called Canopy growth, if you have any onsite PM  please. getting ready to purchase there stock.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    @icoultha agreed BOAT. Being Out At Teller.
    Break Out Another Thousand......

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    @Willhound, love reading your post, you sure are an original on here. I can be known as a penny pincher, but when it comes to boating with the family and friends, I'll splurge. My wife and I worked very hard for what we have (like many here I'm sure), but the boat is our addiction and something we all agree on.

• Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Will hound I hear you. Both the Admiral and myself have had boats all our lives. When younger at family cottages and trailered behind the family car. Boating is something that is in our blood and I am so glad that she shares the same desire. We were out of boating for four years because our kids were at that stage of their life and we thought we would concentrate on their need. Those four years were heII. There is still those times when walking past the loading ramp that we smell the old Johnston or Merc two stroke motors starting that it brings back the memories of years past..l will never forget my boating days. There is a saying, “ you never wish that you spent more time at work but you do wish that you spent more time boating”
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    @randy56. IMO. top three  you speak of in this order:
    Canopy (WEED), Aurora (ACB) & Aphria (APH). Honorable mentions to HIP and TGOD.

Many bought Canopy (WEED) at $11.00 CDN. It is now around $34.00 CDN. Have been told these stocks have legs to 50$ plus CDN Some investing friends think $75 CDN is probable. 

As for any non-Canadians - if using USD you will have at least a 20 + %  monetary advantage. 

If more comfortable with an ETF  you might consider the Horizions Marijuana Life Sciences Indexed ETF (HMMJ)..... a basket of ten varied stocks with big hitters included.

I have no authority or financial training to make these opinions and am not making a recommendation of any nature and most surely recommend you do research.

This opinion relates solely to the purchase of stocks legal by classification in Canada via the TSX and possibly in other countries. I  neither have nor will I ever use or retain in any manner whatsoever, any product related to this topic nor do a recommend doing so.

I recommend strictly adhering to all Federal and State laws as they apply to your jurisidiction.

Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bringing this one back. This 2009 360 is deal pending at $199k Canadian or nearly double what I paid for my 2008 350 last year at this time. 

At these values, my boat is paying me!!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    My slip fee just increased 25% because a group of Newport Beach investors took over marina management and want to take it "upscale." Now paying $6K/year for the slip, or $16.50 a day. Since I can boat 365 days a year and the median price home in the neighborhood is well over a million bucks, being on the waterfront in California it's still a good value. The boat is long ago paid for and running great lately. Andy
  • Options
    My area is about $4500 USD for 6 months in the water. 
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 869 ✭✭✭
    My boat budget for a year is CDN $15,000. 60% of that is dockage/storage. The rest is for fuel, 4 weeks cruising and service/repairs. Hopefully repairs are minimal and I don't spend it all 😊
  • Options
    Did you store indoors @Grahamu ?
  • Options
    @YYZRC, no I'm hauled in my slip, $8500 for the year.
  • Options
    Covered slip?? Seems expensive!
  • Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Surprised no one has mentioned the cost of fuel this year. We are pushing $1.60/litre for regular, supreme almost $1.70. Add another 20% at the docks. Hopefully this settles back a bit before summer...OUCH!   
  • Options
    @YYZRC, it's an oversize covered slip but that's what was available, hoping to get a smaller one but no one is leaving.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    We are $3.95 a gallon non ethanol on the water 

@halifax212 I calculate that at $6.04 a gallon 😮 is that correct. 3.78 liters per gallon? 

The cost of boat ownership elsewhere seems ridiculous compared to what I pay. My yearly cost for dock is about $2000 stays there all year. 
    Post edited by Aqua_Aura on
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just fueled up the center console. It was $4.40 per gal for the good stuff - non ethanol, the pump auto shut off at $75 so I got 17 gallons. This was at the gas station not on the water. It's over $5 on the water here in FL.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a boat
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    We are $3.95 a gallon non ethanol on the water 

@halifax212 I calculate that at $6.04 a gallon 😮 is that correct. 3.78 liters per gallon? 
    Yes in $ CAD so about $5 USD. Lots of tax on our gas. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    My yacht club slip is $3k/year plus some volunteer time.  A similar slip at a commercial marina would be $5k or more.  
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If my wife ever questions how much we spend on boating I'll have her refer to this thread 🤣. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Aqua_Aura we should start a decoy thread for them 😂😂
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    $1100 for my slip which includes fully stocked club house! $3600 for haul in and out and inside heated storage gas I pre bought 500 gallons last year at $1.79 still have 200 gallons to use this season.
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    edited February 2022
    @Aqua_Aura tell her to check out Annapolis Yacht Club.  It's $11k to join, $2k/year, have to spend at least $150/month at the clubhouse.  That cost does not include slip fees.  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    I pay $600 in dues and for my 342 (37 loa) it's $1190. That includes slip, water and electricity. No work hours because I am a "life member" (over 20 years). My winter storage is outside for $1895 and it includes haul out, power wash, blocks and stands. Due to my work hours I have all winterizing and shrink wrapping done by the place I store at. Complete winterizing is about another $2500. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    @Aqua_Aura tell her to check out Annapolis Yacht Club.  It's $11k to join, $2k/year, have to spend at least $150/month at the clubhouse.  That cost does not include slip fees.  
    Yes, but is amazing!  At least it looks like it.  I sure couldn't afford to know.🙄

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    its .......... A LOT