Options

Cost of Boat Ownership

12346»

Comments

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Aqua_Aura said:
    I "fueled" my car for free today at the hotel plug-in 😀........and now here comes all the electric car comments 🤦‍♂️
    You made a grammar error ... it should read "golf cart".

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    @Grahamu same here with my 342. If I did what @LaRea said at 8mph I would burn a heII of a more that 10 gallons traveling 16 miles. I take a cruise through the Bastawn Harbah at no wake (or very slightly faster but not much) and burn a ton of gas.... Just say'n
    Well, that's where my comment comes in about better mileage at plane. My engineering head says, the boat engine does not actual propel the boat, but actually displaces water. Take a look at the transom when you're cruising at 25 mph and you'll know what I mean. The engines are literally moving water, not really boat.  So, if the boat is going low speed, you have to displace WAY more water every ft you travel, cause the boat is sitting so deep in the water. Whereas if you are on plane ... there's much less water to displace.

So I don't get better mileage at 7 mph in no wake.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Like @davidbrooks said -- the formula for the coefficient of pleasure (Cp) does not include a term for fuel consumption!

To understand why the boat is more efficient at no-wake speed, search Google for "wave-making resistance" also called wave drag.  On plane, most of the gas you burn is used to create the wake.  

Want more examples?  Here's a Rinker 310 ... 1.7 MPG at 5 MPH, 1.4 MPG on plane.  
    https://www.boatingmag.com/boats/rinker-310-express-cruiser-0/

Jenneau NC33:  8.3 MPG at no-wake, 1.9 on plane.
    https://www.boatingmag.com/jeanneau-nc-33-boat-test/
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 869 ✭✭✭
    @LaRea, is correct at no wake speed fuel consumption per mile is at it's lowest, between 1.6 - 1.8 miles per gallon. It increases, as RPMs increase, to 1.1 MPG at 2100 rpm and then fuel efficiency drops dramatically until up on plane at around 3400 RPM when it comes back to 1.1 MPG
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's get back to the costs here. At what price per gallon do you guys become dock boats? $6, $7, $8 what is it???
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    I was spending $800 to fill up both tanks last year. I like to cruise but I see a lot less cruising going on this year and more floating and drinking.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    @Handymans342 it's only money. Man you need to live a little..... LOL
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    So the answer is:  If you have time on your hands, go slow and enjoy the cruise.  Or, go fast and enjoy the cruise.

My club's tank has fuel from last year, and my first fill will be at last year's price.  Even then, it was so cheap that I'd be embarrassed to share the price in public.  Yes, we have memberships available.  PM me.   :)
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Push throttle forward big smile.

That's the only rule we need to follow. 
    I am with Aqua Aura on this one