Options

Fuel Prices

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well if anyone hasnt noticed, fuel prices are rising rapidly. Diesel is 3.00 a gallon now at the marina and gas is close to 4. This is basically going to cut my boating time in half. 
Post edited by raybo3 on

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,474 admin
    WHAT????????????? Cut your boating time in half?????? I thought the whole point of having diesels was because of how much less fuel burn they are. How economic  they are............SMH........... Nuff said...........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    @Handymans342=how much is diesel on the road\im paying 2.65
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭✭
    Im in NY on the road Diesel is $3.25 to 3.75 depending where you stop 
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    WHAT????????????? Cut your boating time in half?????? I thought the whole point of having diesels was because of how much less fuel burn they are. How economic  they are............SMH........... Nuff said...........
    Were you born stupid or does it just come naturally? I can go twice as far as gassers so if I cut in half I will just be doing what you do every year. RLMAO
  • Options
    trip_n said:
    @Handymans342=how much is diesel on the road\im paying 2.65
    3.05 HERE
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    Were you born stupid or does it just come naturally? I can go twice as far as gassers so if I cut in half I will just be doing what you do every year. RLMAO
    Stupid????? You can go twice as far???? It would take you 4 times as long.........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,635 mod
    How many hours did you put on the boat last year?
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    He does not use hours he uses calender's............LMFAO
  • Options
    I wish these Mods would stay on topic
  • Options
    Besides, fuel prices never spike in April/May.  Except for, oh, every year since Henry Ford got involved.  
  • Options
    It is on topic...... Fuel prices and fuel burn is how much you spend on fuel..........
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    About 100
  • Options
    Impressive.  OK, you are permitted to complain about fuel prices.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Dana Point, California, USAPosts: 0 ✭✭✭
    How to tick off a European...complain about American fuel prices.

Andy
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have been watching prices. Do 150 hrs easy on mine. Def going to think about it a little but not going to let it change any destinations yet. Just won't leave it running in the hook as long. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fuel is on the rise, $2.69 for gas, about $3.00 diesel here. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    andyd said:

Andy
    Or a Canadian. Road price of gas expected to be $1.40 a litre this summer or about $5 US a gallon. Expect gas on the water to be 20% higher .
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    Not sure how many years into a pleasure boats use would the fuel savings of a diesel actually pay off TBH.

1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Our first year of cruising was back in 2010 and gas was ridiculous. We did over 100 hours that first year and I remember cringing every time at the pump.
    At 2.80 a gallon right now I'm not complaining. 
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    andyd said:

Andy
    Too right. Works out about $6.60 per gallon here in the UK.
  • Options
    F1100 said:
    Not sure how many years into a pleasure boats use would the fuel savings of a diesel actually pay off TBH.

That makes sense only if you buy the same boat and pay a premium for the diesel engines. In my case it I paid the same. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,604 mod
    For the price of boating, gas price should not be a reason to minimize use of boat.  Nope, not rich here, but price of fuel can't be a concern when you've already spent so much on a boat, maintenance, slippage (yes, we all have discussed this and know :) ). 

At least I filled mine up last fall with cheaper price.  I just need to get out and burn some of it! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Well your in for a shock or you just got a zero% visa for 18 months LOL
  • Options

No shock here, I still remember the days when it was $5 or more a gallon.  Even then we still did our 10 day trips and such, just did a little more local anchoring on weekends.

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Dana Point, California, USAPosts: 0 ✭✭✭
    @dalek. Sorry to hear about the price of petrol! BTW, when I was a kid I watched Dr. Who on the BBC and Daleks scared the cr@p out of me. Exterminate! Exterminate!

Andy
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:

No shock here, I still remember the days when it was $5 or more a gallon.  Even then we still did our 10 day trips and such, just did a little more local anchoring on weekends.
    Boating was so great that summer... it kept all the non-real boaters on land... I never forget how nice it was to have only the real committed boater out on the water!
  • Options
    We are committed as you elitists just can't afford it all
  • Options
    We are committed as you elitists just can't afford it all
    For us, there are things we just do without so we can spend more boating. My wife and kids have tracfones, not iPhones. Kids have never had Xbox or any video games, boat and anything outside is better. We don't go to a restaurant without a coupon. It all adds up.

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, I remember 4th of July on Block Island where you had no worries about your scope or finding an anchor spot. Definitey not the case the past 4 seasons or so. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My program is similar to Dreams, I’m an all out cheapo when it comes to a lot of our household and every day spending but in a few areas like the boat it gets spent. Generally don’t think about fuel prices, we spend so much money to own the boat and we work hard DIY almost all projects on the boat and house so we use the boat whenever we feel like it. With only 4-5 months of boating we have to use it
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

This discussion has been closed.