Options

Fuel Prices

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Same here.  We don't worry about the price of gas.  It's all part of the price of boating.  Although I do pay attention to the GPH and do what I can to reduce it.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with Stodge. Not gonna become a dock queen just because of fuel cost. But not gonna be stupid either.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm so cheap I do everything my self, most of the time twice,so I'm good at it. But realy 5G taxes on house 4G for the slip and all the other crap if gas is 5 bucks a gallon. I will burn it up as much as I can. I put 4 girls though college youngest is 22 my turn. Should name my boat Child's Inheradents.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good one Chris. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    @reneechris14 -  4 girls!  Holly crap!!  I couldn't imagine going thru those teenage years!  If I ever meet up with you, I'll make sure you don't pay anything for the day! :)  I have a 17 yr old daughter going into college next year and a soon to be 15 yr old son that will start driving lessons after this boating season.  We'll cover their college costs as well, but rest if boat gas money as well! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,588 mod
    My fuel cost is about 20% of the total cost of ownership, and that's probably typical.  It's important, but not the biggest cost driver.  
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Street prices in Pittsburgh are $2.85/gallon for regular. Not sure about on the water yet, but it will probably be close to $4.50/gallon. I try to carry cans to the boat as much as possible. It is one way to save a few bucks. The day I can't afford to put gas in the boat is the day she goes up for sale.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of fuel containers, if you hate the slow fill nozzles on the typical gas cans sold today, I recommend these jugs but, eh-hem, ONLY for your race car:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vpr-3522?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-vp-racing-fuels-inc&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp9P3-IvC2gIVFHdeCh3hIAAjEAQYASABEgIM2PD_BwE

Get white so you can see the fuel level. They hold six gallons easily and pour quickly. You didn't hear this from me if you get one for your lawnmower.

Andy

• Options
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Willhound true but remember our gallon is slightly larger than the American gallon. RE: diesels - I figured I could never recoup the price increase for diesels on my 2014 EC 360 over the price of 502 Mags. I don't still have my boat's purchase folder but I think it was 20 years - and that was paying cash for the boat not financing! Yes, gas is expensive - I could easily burn $500 per day in gas when on a 6 day trip....but worth every penny!

• Options
    I want to say we were paying (after conversion to US$) $4.12/gal at the marinas in Canada last August.  It seemed that EVERYONE charged the same price.  We had a few 100 mile days.  Longest was about 140 miles.  So I can see spending $500 on gas in a day. 

• Options
    @Stodge yep that sounds about right for last year. @Michael T whenever I convert litre prices to USD I also convert to US gallons which yes, are smaller than Imperial gallons at 3.785 (I usually use 3.8) litres per US gallon.
  • Options
    Ah see I rounded up and counted 4 liters as a gallon(even though I know it's slightly more).  Not sure that I factored that into my estimated price per gallon.

• Options
    That would still be a decent quick estimate, you'd be 6.8 US ounces high. Not a huge difference.....until you're filling a 200 gallon tank. :p
    As we've all stated, it really doesn't change our love of boating, it might change our habits slightly. I will never agree with the statement that "If you have to worry about the price of gas you shouldn't be boating" etc. Although not the largest annual expense it is still significant and one we can somewhat control. If some careful route planning or judicious use of the throttle saves me even $20 a day, great! That's money towards lunch or a new gizmo for the boat.
    As someone else pointed out it does keep some of the "wannabees" off the water and that's maybe not a bad thing. In our area we see so many weekend warriors that I would never consider to be competent boaters, yet they roar around in circles just off a crowded beach or pack way too many people onto an already overloaded boat. These are the types that I would hope are kept off the water by higher fuel prices.
  • Options
    Well the more fuel goes up the less boats and rv's get sold which doesn't help on the job front
  • Options
    Oil just hit $68 a barrel. Inventories are getting low I hear.

Andy
  • Options
    andyd said:
    Oil just hit $68 a barrel. Inventories are getting low I hear.

Andy
    Why??? We pump more oil than ever and it doesn't even stay in the country!!
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭
    I read the cold winter slowed production.its killing my production 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like all different income levels and priorities -4 girls through college? 4 year degree x 4 sounds pretty close to a min of 500 grand I'd be living on the street keeping up with that! All my boating expenses are well thought out- that's why I'm still working on getting mine back in the water. I just could not brake 5 grand out of our lives to just have someone fix it.
  • Options
    @rasbury your not the only one. I kept my boat in storage 1 year to get ahead.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hear ya, pretty much what I've done- just had a lot of expenses going on but getting back on track...
  • Options
    There can be lots of crude in the supply, but the refineries are a bottleneck. They aren't building enough refineries, any that I know about. Our gas in CA is special. So special that it costs more than in Hawaii which unlike our state has no oil fields. Governor Moonbeam just slapped on a 12 cent tax, (20 cents on diesel) to pay for road repairs. Yes, even fuel sold in marinas just to boat owners. There's a ballot measure in the works to reverse this thankfully, and I think it will pass.

Andy
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭
    They just add that gas tax  in NJ back in November to fix the roads .......just did ball joints on my truck 
  • Options
    California is whacked
  • Options
    So now what prices are you seeing? Diesel will be 5.50 soon at the pump. It's becoming depressing to say the least
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    edited April 2022
    I filled back up on Easter for $3.81 per gallon.  Only needed 115 gallons.  I knew the state tax was coming back, so I went to the cheapest place, where my son runs the fuel dock, and fueled up. It's now $4.48, which will still stay the cheapest. I believe there diesel may have hit 5 now.  The marina is Annapolis landing on back creek.

What we saved in fuel price helped cover our transient slip for the night.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    $5.34 USD in Halifax regular 87 octane/ Diesel $5.96 USD.   Very discouraging for summer travel /boating.  I think diesel is going up again tonight
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using gas buddy card... 3.80 or so.. 
  • Options
    The high price of diesel is going to translate to massive transportation fees which we end up paying
  • Options
    Diesel is so high now that I haven't drove my truck since October and now I can't even afford to take an RV trip. 
This discussion has been closed.