Off topic: Rinker owners who grill!

LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
Willhound said:
@LaRea (and anyone else interested) I follow the Traeger pellet grill website and they posted this. 
http://enews.traegergrills.com/q/Ki4NCeQIxo-KI0n804-V7DjY_ocNd__k1TMn6df7hMUzRooQJF0JA9lzU
Featuring one of my favourites. Danielle "DivaQ"  Bennett who is originally from right near our hometown in Barrie Ontario but now lives in Winter Haven Florida. 
One if the topics to be covered is reverse sear. Even though being done on a Traeger I'm sure some of the tips will apply for any grill.

This topic deserves its own thread!  I'll check out the video.  And thanks again @Willhound for posting info about Meadhead's book!

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I know at last year's Rinkervous Raft-up, I was really impressed with the pellet grill mounted on the back of Pat's 410. I took over some frozen pizza's for late night snacks that he smoked on it (first time he every tried that), and they turned out great.  He also smoked up some different meats thru the day, and wow!  He had the electric portion of it wired into boat and the rest was just pure magic!  Sure made me think about getting one.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Just watched the presentation and I can't wait to try some of the techniques. Thanks for posting!
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy you liked it. I love my Traeger but whether or not you have one they have a great website with recipes and tips. I'm trying a reverse seat on a 2 inch thick sirloin tonight. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what is a reverse sear? 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We made a big order from Omaha steaks a couple of weeks ago, we had a filet last night. We couldn’t grill because it was pouring out so my wife seared it on a cast iron pan for 2 minutes each side then put in the oven @ 415 for 5 minutes (for medium rare). Came out amazing!

2008 330EC
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Normal sear means you get the grill has hot as possible, and sear the steaks for a few minutes before moving them to lower heat to finish cooking.  The theory that I always heard was that searing seals in the juices and creates the GDB (golden delicious brown) crust.  I've grilled that way for years, and always been happy with it.  

Reverse sear is the opposite.  Cook the steaks at low heat (225*F) until they are almost done, and then sear them on high heat to create the GDB.  The theory here is that it doesn't overcook the outer 1/4" of meat.  The entire piece of meat is cooked to the same perfect temperature.  

I've only tried it once, but wow what a difference.  
    I tried my first reverse sear last night, some bacon wrapped sirloin medallions I had in the freezer. OK results, not stellar. On y Broil Kink Barn NG grill which has always been stellar but I didn't take into account that it was about 33F with a 30 mph wind, so probably about 25F with wind chill. Because I didn't want to stand outside and watch I let the temp initially get too hot, so the low and slow part went a little too fast and then when I cranked up the hot side to do the sear it took longer than I figured to heat, so they were on longer than they should have been.
    They were still tender but closer to medium than our usual medium rare/rare that we like. Not the best quality steaks either but I figured that I'd try it a few times on cheaper stuff and if I can get that down, then when I get something decent it should be stellar!
    I can definitely see the potential.
    I had always been taught to crank the grill as high as possible and once at 500-600F use the 1 minute per inch method. So a two inch thick steak would be 2 minutes, turn (not flip) another two, flip for two, turn for two. I'd always get a nice pink centre but the outside 1/4" or so was always well done.
    The reverse sear allows a much more relaxed approach. No so frenzied. Even allows for a glass of wine for the cook while grilling, so a win/win.
  • halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Thanks @LaRea for that clear explanation. Made my day :)  I can visualize the process now...needed that.  
    Im fixing to try it!
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Sent a omaha a order  to my son in Colorado he just got it today 
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    with clean homes also 
    shawnmjr said:
    When this pandemic is over we’re all going to be fat alcoholics who know how to cook. 
    Uhhh.....too late. By many years!
    So I tried a London broil...so I cooked it low heat and then seared...not the best meat to try and grill...pretty good so I'm not sure that means success or not. I need to try some nice thick Ribeyes...
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Alton Brown debunked the idea of searing meat to seal in juices.  It doesn't.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    From my vast five minutes of web research, I've learned that reverse searing entered the mainstream only within the last 15-20 years.  I wish I had known sooner.  
    BTW I have a Magma boat grill that I don't use.  Will sell at nominal cost for a forum member.  PM me.  
    @LaRea , which model Magma do you have?
    2008 330EC

Used it a few times and it works well.  I think all the parts are there.  (Sorry didn't mean to make this a classified ad.)

Tonight I did a reverse sear on a strip loin steak.  It was thin and fatty ... a cheaper cut of meat than the awesome 2" prime cuts I cooked last week.  The result was good, not great.  Lesson:  maybe the reverse sear works best on thicker cuts.  
    edited April 2020
    Ok, I have the same one except my top is on a hinge. Was wondering if it was the rectangle one.
    2008 330EC
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fun thread!  Big Green Egg fan myself. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Awesome @shawnmjr , looks like his and hers, LoL!
    2008 330EC
    @shawnmjr what time should I be there.
    LoL, I’ll admit she has me hooked on some of the fruity drinks also.
    2008 330EC
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

now we're mixing pleasurer's... boating, cooking, football and booze... 
    this is what i call my "Bar-n".  the cooker is a Eco-Que gen 2 wood burning smoker and pizza oven... i've made pizza once, but it was covered in smoked sirloin and chicken, to m defense.  beside the smoker is a small gas grill- it took me a long time to realize smaller is better... after some mods to it, that thing will hit 800*... the griddle beside the lil' grill is used ALL THE TIME... i didn't anticipate how handy that thing would be when i put it in. 

re: reverse sear... I've done it all kinds of ways, but by far my favorite is to smoke an entire standing rib roast to around 108* internal, then pull it.. wrap it in foil, then towels, then in the cooler for a few hours... once sides have been prepared and later that eve, I'll get that little gas grill as hot as i can get it and for at least 20 minutes so the heat is thorough and throughout- a cool steak won't cool it down hardly at all... then, i'll cut thick steaks off that standing rib (eye) roast, dredge them through butter, and flop them on the grill... no more than four minutes per side (the things are at least 2" thick, mind you)... this will blacken the outside to a nice crisp and when they're cut? wall to wall floor to ceiling medium rare... perfection. 

another idea (and because i secretly want to direct this thread towards sharing recipes instead of techniques) is what i call a cowboy quesadilla.  it is SO simple, but fellas? you'll be a smashing hit if you ever find yourself serving masses of people where you can't focus on each and every plate... here goes:

12" flour tortillas... bell peppers of differing colors... mozzarella cheese shredded... smoked standing rib roast OR a good prime sirloin, whole.  a few sweet onions. 

smoke teh sirloin/rib roast to under serving temperature on the smoker... i usually pull it around 105* internal temperature... it can go in the fridge or directly to the griddle if you wish... i like to have it staged pretty much all the time in the summer... so... it's pretty much in the 'fridge at any given point... 

strip cut the meat, onions and peppers in equal strips. sheen the griddle with veg oil... drop some tortilla's on one side after it reaches temperature BIG BUBBLE SIDE DOWN... make a pile of peppers/onions on the other side and begin cooking them.. flip the tortilla's over SMALL BUBBLE SIDE DOWN and sprinkle some mozzarella over them.  Add some of the meat and veggies on them and fold them closed... flip them over to golden brown/crips the sides equally...  top with salsa, and serve with dollop of sour cream. you will be famous. 

I can literally make 100 of these in less than half an hour.  we'll pile up at the bar and watch football in the fall, drowning beer (on tap and bottled), smoking cigars (another pleasure) and chowing down.  good times... 
    Nice set up @212rowboat !!
    2008 330EC

^ standing rib eye roast... 

Ham- smoked to temp with a bath of mustard and pineapple juice, and it is a real crowd pleaser... 

^ packer brisket.... it was a bit of a lesson to learn that these things have to break into the early 200's before they undergo that magic process where they become super tender... i've pulled them anywhere from 190 to 205, but have found that between 200 and 203 or so is the magic spot. .  
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, now we know who has the best grill setup here!!