Options

What did you do to your boat today

Comments

• Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    Re-caulked the rub rail today. Waiting for drives to be re-installed but marina tech crashed his car last weekend and launch pushed to next week🤬
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I finished cleaning and waxing the transom. Checked all trailer lights.  Test fired the engine on muffs to check oil pressure, idle, shifting and charging systems. All looked good

Playing the launch by ear. Shes getting a shake down run tomorrow evening or Saturday.  If she's leak free and runs like she did last fall we will stay until Sunday or Monday depending on weather.  
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I’m in! Spent the morning prep of lines and fenders, some ends needed the binding redone and some clean up till the travel lift came. In she went, started like it ran yesterday and no issues, no water flooding in - until suddenly she started bilging from the mid pump. Looked in engine room and water pouring in from “forward”, shot below and could see at sea cocks water water draining from above and into mid bilge area. WTF - what’s above? Hot water heater but it’s not even on yet nor water lines flushed..... Popped the cover and sure enough, water there - hose from heat exchanger had popped off and starboard engine pumping well. Shut her down and reattached and checked the other 2 clamps and all is good. Never thought to check these before.

Spent the afternoon continuing cleaning and mopping up, Bimini up and MarineMat down, water systems and tank flushed and filled, head prepped and all surfaces wiped with color wipes. Oh - and went over all clamps in engine room, hadn’t quite got there yet but that was a sign.

2 positive outcomes from this:

a) added to startup to check HWS clamps
    b) I may have solved an issue that has puzzled me for a while where I was getting bilge water after a good run. Never knew why, never found a leak and ran once with hatch open at 30 (son driving) and could see it coming from forward and all I could think of was the AC intake and perhaps a leak in the hose somewhere and pressure from higher speed forcing it out. I am figuring this is where it was coming from and today it finally popped off.

Overall, a good productive day!

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    So over the winter i installed air horns and i have to say that is my new favorite toy. It sure gets peoples attention when you want it. Now i just have to get the dogs used to it. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    My list of what I did and video of a couple of coats of Poli-Glow...

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks really good @DanD2
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Now looking at your list I realized I forgot to change my water separator 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can literally see your reflection 😂. I like where you @DanD2 have the grill. Gives me an idea of how to mount mine. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    DanD2 said:

What’s a Kris? 

Good vid DD2
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    GMSLITHO said:
    Now looking at your list I realized I forgot to change my water separator 
    You may want to wait until you go thru your first tank of gas.

I just bought a brand new VG4 vacuflush generator.  For some reason, once again, mine started leaking pressure and pumping every now and then.  It was also requiring a smack to make the pump kick on!  After all the work and parts changing out over the winter, I sank over $1400 on a new one! it'll be going in today and finally done with that crap! (pun intended)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    mattie said:
    DanD2 said:

What’s a Kris? 

Good vid DD2
    Ummmmm....soon to be X
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    Ohh noooo, my wife is a 'Kris' too. Hope it's not catching. That sucks DD2.

buddy of mine with 3-ex's, told me, "next time I'm just gonna find a woman I hate & buy her a house."

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    That’s funny @mattie
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭
    Installed the new cockpit fridge in my 270
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Is it 12 volt  and 110 
  • Options
    skuter99skuter99 Member Posts: 174 ✭✭
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skuter99 said:
    Installed the new cockpit fridge in my 270
    Sweet! I wish my 270 had that console. They didn't start with those until mid way 2001 I beleive. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Changed out my joker valve while the plumbing was still dry. Much easier and less messy. I've started changing them every year, I think it'll lead to fewer problems with the head over the year.
    Did some more cleaning, put some of the seat cushions in. Still waiting for my mechanic to install a new gimbal bearing and get the drive back on so they can launch me. Was supposed to be done last week but he hurt his back and was off work for a few days. He's in his late 60's and been working on boats for over 40 years. Bent up, half crippled but a brilliant guy. He actually took the time to stop in where I work the other day and apologised for not being able to get my boat done for the weekend. A class act. Snapped this pic while standing on my swim platform of this big Prowler being launched. The largest boat now in our marina. They had to bring in a haulage guy with hydraulic trailer because our marnina's hydraulic lift trailer is only rated for 12,000 LBS and I think this guy goes about 16,000. Nice old boat, the owner takes a month every year and cruises Georgian Bay.

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    Cleaned my water strainer again. This is only from being out on the water Monday! I put a couple of pieces of a chlorine tab in, I’m thinking this if from what the chlorine killed off.

This is a dumb question, but where do I find this on the boat? And what does the outer casing look like so I know what I'm looking for?
  • Options
    @TonyG13 it should be mounted right on your galley water pump.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I checked mine yesterday and no visible growth on the screen. Hopefully the chlorine killed everything and flushed it out.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    @TonyG13 it should be mounted right on your galley water pump.
    Thanks! I will look next visit.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Relaxed!

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking very chill!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    javhavjavhav Member Posts: 420 ✭✭✭
    Finally in for memorial day cruise https://youtu.be/9wLkkix4UGg
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    @aero3113 I remember those days!  Seemed like yesterday, but now my kids are 17 and 19.  Although every now and then one will snooze for the ride. :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I think i may have been the first person in recent history to have his windlass go out on him and didn't have to replace it. I have the old Lewmar 600 and when it failed i yanked it out and brought it home.  Turns out the nut came loose enough for the little rollers that go into the key slots came out.  So i ordered new ones and made some out of a 12 penny framing nail to get me by in the meanwhile.  It was nice to not have to spend the $800 on a new windlass. Good to have tools.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Mine went out 3 years ago, I brought it to a motor shop and they replaced the brushes. Been working ever since.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Finally in! New gimbal bearing and seal. No more chug chug noise. Have to stand the antenna and all round light up, install new tv antenna. Cushions and mattress go in Friday.