Options

The lets talk about boat noises and I/O pontoons thread :)

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We all are, Handy. We all are. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Yeah but he is running out of money 
    ha ha you're hilarious - not running out of money, the budget is balanced - just running out of patience for paying people at 125 an hour and not having things done correctly. I bought the wrong bearing at the start, they were supposed to put it in, then a member here made it apparent that it was the wrong one, I then went to the mechanic and said "take out the cheap bearing and put the sealed, more expensive one in" - did he do it? Prob not but No idea.. I guess we'll find out when I pull it out myself sometime next week. 
    YYZRC said:
    I think disappearing mechanic #3 did you a favor. 

Is there a Merc certified large (professional) marina near you? It sounds like you keep relying on shadetree mechanics where you have no recourse if/when things go wrong. I hate paying the marina rate for labor but I know in doing so I have at least some recourse if needed. I do understand that you moved cross-country. 

I also think you should stop buying parts and let the marina supply and install. Again, you will pay a bit more but it’s their responsibility to get it right. 
    There is a marine max in the keys, funny thing is all the local guys seem to make fun of the place.. I've never used them for anything but it might be going that way! We'll see. 
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
    The first mechanic i ever used did me a favor by screwing up a simple impeller change.  He got me frustrated enough to learn to do it myself.  Since then i have done most of the work myself but when i did need an expert i started calling around.  Finding guys that dealers use or marinas recommend has been a staple for me.  The good ones are always really backed up and i seriously doubt the ones that can jump on something immediately. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the game of blame serves no purpose now but to spawn stress and anxiety over something you can't change.... duh.... i offer it as i don't like the tone the thread has taken. 

i do ALL my own work... i spend a lot of time cussing at myself in the mirror... if there was no multiple personality disorder prior to that practice, there is now... there is the incensed, the insulted, and some drunken by-stander mumbling something about "if that dude talked to me that way..... well, i'd...."... i can only assume there is audience for the drunken mumbler, but i haven't met them yet. 

"struggle and cuss, cuss and struggle, then you do what must be done"

just get to it, Sir... you'll be better off on the other side. 
  • Options
    the game of blame serves no purpose now but to spawn stress and anxiety over something you can't change.... duh.... i offer it as i don't like the tone the thread has taken. 

i do ALL my own work... i spend a lot of time cussing at myself in the mirror... if there was no multiple personality disorder prior to that practice, there is now... there is the incensed, the insulted, and some drunken by-stander mumbling something about "if that dude talked to me that way..... well, i'd...."... i can only assume there is audience for the drunken mumbler, but i haven't met them yet. 

"struggle and cuss, cuss and struggle, then you do what must be done"

just get to it, Sir... you'll be better off on the other side. 
    Yup - This kind of comes at a good time anyway, looks like hurricane season will be ramping up - going to pull it out and slowly work on it over the next few weeks... guess the goal will be to have it back in middle or end of Sept. 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My money is still on that cheap gimball.

You're likely to pull it and find the alignment spot on.

A good oem bearing will have zero issues running idle speeds at a reasonable trim for many years.

When my dad beaches his 20 plus year old 27 ft pontoon do you think he idles it off the beach?

He romps her trimmed up in reverse to give enough force to pull free.

I wouldn't do that to my boat but his motto is if I can't use it the way I need to I will get rid of it.  

I'm betting his gimball is at least 7 years old if not original.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    There is a marine max in the keys, funny thing is all the local guys seem to make fun of the place.. I've never used them for anything but it might be going that way! We'll see. 
    It’s easy to hate on a big business but they wouldn’t still be in business if they were messing up customer boats all the time. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options

When my dad beaches his 20 plus year old 27 ft pontoon do you think he idles it off the beach?

your dad has a 27' stern drive pontoon?  outboards don't suffer the alignment concern... I'm not doubting you, but if i were to witness a i/o pontoon i would be more surprised to see that than if Hoffa and Bigfoot were piloting it.  :) 
  • Options
    Boat is out - go to flush it, apparently there's 4 holes on the FRONT bottom of the sea core drive and water is just pouring out of them and not going up into the boat... why do they have to complicate things by adding 4 water pickups on the front!
  • Options
    How do you flush this thing? Duct tape around the front and turn the water on? 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

your dad has a 27' stern drive pontoon?  outboards don't suffer the alignment concern... I'm not doubting you, but if i were to witness a i/o pontoon i would be more surprised to see that than if Hoffa and Bigfoot were piloting it.  :) 
    They do make I/o pontoon boats. I have sent them. Hoffa and Bigfoot weren't there though. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, duct tape on the front holes and muffs on the side vents.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    Yes, duct tape on the front holes and muffs on the side vents.
    not used to these new designs.. thanks.. it's all set. Tools will be in next week..then the real fun begins. Tempted to just leave it high and dry for a month. 
  • Options
    What’s not used? The muffs? Where do you hook up the hose on the new drive?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    What’s not used? The muffs? Where do you hook up the hose on the new drive?
    Never had a drive with the front holes... seems "new" to me, maybe it isnt  :D
  • Options
    I have one with the holes and one without. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Its a 27 ft party barge.  3.0 merc alpha one.

To change the starter, pull the motor

Change the alternator, pull the motor

Guess how many motors I've pulled or helped pull with an A frame in the last 4 years???

I've sold volvo penta 290 parts to an outfit in Charlotte NC that specializes in diesel conversions.  They tossed a 6.2 diesel non turbo into a pontoon years ago.  The owner loved the noisy smokey thing.
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    I also have 1 drive with the front holes and one with out. I use muffs on both without issue. I replaced both Bravo 3 drives in 2015
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually they have a fiberglass bottom
  • Options
    If I'm not mistaken ones with fiberglass bottom are referred to as deck boats.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    I've seen them too... ive even ridden on a more rare configuration of a bass boat with an i/o made by skeeter... i was just poking @PickleRick is all... 

An i/o makes no sense in it, though.  

A guy down here I see all the time has a 21' commercial fishing boat with an inboard and jet drive.  I didnt think it made any sense until I saw it zip across a flat no more than 3 or 4 inches deep..... so I guess everything has a purpose even though I don't know what that purpose is...  that thing is a flat bottom boat bit with a pronounced v bow... home built glass over wood, but looks like it was made in a factory somewhere..... somewhere strange.... 
  • Options
    Interesting toon there...wonder how it rides?? 
  • Options
    The i/o makes great sense back in the 90s when 2 stokes were your o/b choice

The 3.0 sips fuel compared to a 75 hp 2 cycle of the day.

My dad adds maybe 5 gallons every weekend on average.  Also runs in the mid/upper 20s wot which wasn't bad for a 27 footer back in the day.

Now some 300 hp tritoons run faster than some bass boats

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    Interesting toon there...wonder how it rides?? 
    On a trailer or on top of water B)
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    I have not spent a lot of time on pontoons but my dad's rides well. Huge bimini top. I can see why they are so popular on the keys now.  Its like a floating patio. The ladies can sit under the huge bimni while the guys fish.  Also a great snorkeling or diving platfrom.  

Much more lounging room than an equal sized cc or cruiser.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not spent a lot of time on pontoons but my dad's rides well. Huge bimini top. I can see why they are so popular on the keys now.  Its like a floating patio. The ladies can sit under the huge bimni while the guys fish.  Also a great snorkeling or diving platfrom.  

Much more lounging room than an equal sized cc or cruiser.
    They even have double deckers with a slide for the kids
  • Options
    My last vacation rental had a double decker sitting on a lift 2 houses down.  They had it out near the reef the first day we got down there.  
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Ive seen more than a few pontoons turned sideways at the launch ramps.  If its a husband and wife doing the loading, its very easy for them to figure ,out who's to blame
  • Options
    Tools will be here tuesday or Wed...  going to attempt the alignment and replacement of gimbal sometime after work or next weekend
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to a local hardware store get a big piece of treaded rod some nuts and washers a 2x4 with a hole in the middle. It will be the best pulley for a gimbal 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct