Comments

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you don’t have to deal with any crowds  
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭
    GMSLITHO said:
    Looks like you don’t have to deal with any crowds  
    We had this entire cove to ourselves most of the trip.  Our last night, a Houseboat camped around the corner from us, but we couldn't see or hear them.  
    There are more crowded sections of the lake, but we always travel uplake enough to enjoy the serenity  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost back to a level?
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 944 ✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    Almost back to a level?
    I'm confused by this question.  Was that directed at me?  What do you mean haha
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found another tooth today at Isle of Palms. Definitely a shark tooth this time.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭✭✭
    there are no natural lakes in South Carolina, all of them built by dams.  This is the main portion of a graveyard that existed well before the war of 1812.   When the lake was built @ the mid 1900s. It was cut off from land.     There is a historical market where Clemson University did a little archaeology on the site marking the grave of a war of 1812 soldier.  

Not sure if you can see in the back or not but there are many tiny grave stones that are simply marked by stones. 

The small ones are likey slaves, share croppers or children lost to TB.  Or all of the above.  Share cropping was huge in this area and like much of the USA tb ran rampant.  

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭
    looks like its out in the middle of the woods ,lots of history around those parts 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow @PickleRick that is cool...finding that kind of history in fl is tuff. We seem to just wipe it away and go forward only.
  • Options
    Thanks guys.  Just right up steam is Clemson University,  the one founded by the Calhoun family,  former vice president John C. Calhoun family.  

So lots of history on this lake...and on the lake bed.   
     Clemson University was here before they built the lake....really crappy over rated football team and even worse fans.

Clemson was offered money for the land the lake was going to flood.  They declined and now the NOT THE REAL death valley sits below lake level, protected by a huge ****.

• Options
    aero3113 said:
    Found another tooth today at Isle of Palms. Definitely a shark tooth this time.

Awesome find!   
  • Options
    Rich_Rich_ Member Posts: 151 ✭✭
    Looks like a lemon shark?
    Rinker sold but still have other boats        Eastern LI, NY
  • Options
    Rich_ said:
    Looks like a lemon shark?
    Thanks @Rich_ ! Did you see the other one I posted also?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Maybe Snaggeltooth?
  • Options
    I can say with 100% confidence those teeth are neither megalodon or great white 
  • Options
    Agree @PickleRick ! 😂
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    If you're at the I.O.P. you're not far from the Ashley River.  There have been plenty of megalodon teeth pulled from the bottom of that murky river by divers.  There are also 10 ft+ alligators and bull sharks that patrol that river, plus your limited visibility.  Doesn't sound like a good time to me    
  • Options
    I’m back on Long Island now @PickleRick . Our last day at Isle Of Palms we were in the ocean and it was stirred up and murky. It was a Sunday so the water and beach was very empty. My wife and I started to feel uneasy and decided to spend the rest of the day on the sand 😂
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited August 2023
    I hope you guys had a good time visiting down here although our water is usually murky.   Anything above about thigh deep you can't see the bottom.   Never worried about shark attacks but there were plenty of jelly fish stings.    
  • Options
    First day with the kids’ new water toy 

• Options
    @PickleRick yes, we had a great time and yes there were a lot of jellyfish.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Very cool @Rich_ !
    2008 330EC
  • Options
     I see a helmet being used on a water toy ... is this something you don't want to try for the first time if you have to go to work the next morning?
  • Options
    Being on the elevated foil wing, if you fall the board could still head towards you.
    Few years ago we were upstate at a small private lake. New guy learning to water ski somehow fell forward and hit his head on the forward tip of the ski, had to get stitches by the bridge of his nose, the day before starting his broadcast career as a NY 10 o'clock tv newscaster. Plastic surgeon did a great job.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calm before the storm. Alligator Lighthouse today. 

• Options
    That water looks like glass.  

I still have no idea why you're not taking a fishing pole and reeling in these little guys!!!  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boated up to Parry Sound last weekend. Absolutely stunning scenery and the boat ran flawlessly. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watched a local dock service company launch this barge this morning and as the truck pulled away I watched the guy on the barge desperately trying to start the little outboard as the 10 knot winds blew him into the shallows. You'd think they'd tie off and start it first...😆

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Outboard looks like a Merc so it’s best use is as an anchor. 

I wonder if that barge was built during Covid? If so, it probably has $5k worth of wood decking/rails. 

@Willhound do you miss having a boat at all?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay