Options

Meet the new La Rea!

Comments

• Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    LaRea , what plans are you using for the starlink in the boat and By the way congratulations in your future plan going around the usa and canada. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Thanks @oscar1.  I got the cheapest marine plan.  Some people are using the RV plan on boats, but I don't want to take the risk of Starlink shutting me down.  So I'll pay the $3000 per year as a business expense.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming you’ll be going south in to Lake Erie, which I think is a safe bet given your boat size, I’ll be glad to advise on the Lake Erie islands. Couple of places you’ll want to stop for sure and I’ll hope to see you on island!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Had some help today to reseal the leaking flybridge windshield and side windows.  I could have done the fronts myself, but I was too scared to try the side windows.  He's a pro window guy ... knocked it out easily.  

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Those side windows would definitely be a bit too much for me!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Nice! Just dug out old sealant and inserted new?

• Options
    Yes, the caulk was looking rough.  In accordance with Murphy's Law, the lower windows (which are easy to reach) are in fine shape with zero leaks.

Another project over the past couple weeks:  rebuilt the anchor light tower to add a platform for the satellite compass.  I had to move the compass to make room for the Starlink.  The mount isn't finished, but you'll get the general idea.  This project turned into a bigger ordeal than I wanted or expected.

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Video on Furuno you may find interesting. I did not realize they are located right next to me. 

https://youtu.be/wCccByJC6KE?si=-yy91DSpiqQz1BpT
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited March 10
    At some point, I'll find 45 minutes to watch that video all the way through!

Projects this weekend.  Prior to reflooring, I added bullnose trim on the stairs from the salon down to the cabins.  Takes the treads from 8" wide to 9.25" -- much safer (and yes I did this because I have slipped on the stairs.)  This work will all be hidden by VCT flooring.  

I also built an enclosure for the hydraulic pump that drives the swim platform.  The pump is in a cockpit floor locker, and I need to throw fenders in there without worrying about hurting the pump.  Will double as a step ladder.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will have a new boat when your done- fun to watch the transformation 
  • Options
    Today I learned why the genny has been dripping diesel since we got the boat.  There's a crack in the bulkhead fitting where the fuel line comes into the generator!   

Had to call in my mechanic for this one.  Judging from the sustained volume of his cursing over the past three hours, I understand why this problem never got fixed before. 

• Options
    Wow thats surprising but I'm sure you are glad to have it done. Do you have a nice pink stain or just the sweet smell of diesel?

• Options
    Well, it didn't stain the polished gelcoat floor  :D but I could smell it for sure.   

Next adventure: we bought a dinghy!  It's a Williams 280 jet tender which is basically the only boat that fits in the garage.  Can't wait -- it'll be here Monday!  It's a tiny little boat, but it's a Williams so it'll go 40 knots.

The garage never had a tender installed, so of course I have a ton of work to do:

* Install a winch in the tender garage.  The winch is bolted in place and ready for power.  I need to add my own limit switch to prevent over-tightening, so that's a work in progress.  

* Install a wireless remote.  It will operate the garage door, garage light, winch and swim platform ... a must-have for using the tender.  I'm using a crane controller from Amazon.  I've already designed the wiring and bought the parts, and I pulled most of the wiring.  Still need to install junction boxes and rig all of the relays.  

* Design a launching system.  This is basically a system of rollers for moving the tender in and out.  I thought "I'll just find it on the internet" but there's nothing, and it's surprisingly complex.  I'm working with Jeff at versachock.com to figure it out.  

So much going on!  I'm behind on sharing photos of progress.  
  • Options
    The flooring is done in the galley, salon and cabins!  We went with LVT and I hired a team to do it.  Would have liked to DIY but the calendar told me No You Will Not. 

These pix are in the almost-done stage.  Photos don't always tell the truth ... it looks like a million bucks!  I'm really happy about the new floor hatch in the salon.  

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fairline Targa 45 GT has a tender garage for a Williams. Might be worth looking at to copy the roller rail. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Canvas work!  No more worries about the bow sunpad blowing away, which has happened twice.  Ditto with the cockpit chairs and cushions, and now they are protected from salt spray when we're underway.  

• Options
    Today I took delivery of the world's smallest dinghy!  She won't get unwrapped until Sunday.  The garage isn't ready yet, and we're getting 2" of rain Saturday.  Once we splash her, I'll start figuring out the launch system.  

• Options
    It's still unusually quiet here, so I'll keep posting.  

With the tender sitting in the driveway, today I spent 10 hours working on the remote control system.  It now controls the garage door and the winch, so that's a win.  Still need to figure out the swim platform.  I feel like an expecting dad, preparing the nursery for a new baby.   :)

I took this photo in the starboard lazarette early this morning, with the hatch closed because it was raining like crazy.  If you've ever wondered what kind of idiot would do this at 7am on weekend -- I am that idiot.  The cone-shaped thing in the center of the photo is the Glendinning power cord system. On the bottom left you can see the enclosure I built for the swim platform pump.

• Options
    That will be really cool- I thought I read it had one. Are you moving the pump or an install? I'd love that even on our 270-
  • Options
    edited March 24
    @rasbury - no, didn't have to move anything.  I just needed to figure out the wiring for the remote.  Now, for the first time, I can stand at the stern and run the door, winch and platform from a single remote.  

Today I installed some of the rollers for getting the tender in and out.  Still need two more that will be removable: one at the bottom left of this picture, and one on the swim platform.  Shout out to Jeff at VersaChock.com.  These things are sturdy, and Jeff was a great help figuring out how to mount them.  

(Ignore the river scum!  I'll clean it up when I finish.)

• Options
    FormulabenFormulaben Confirm Email, Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Still need two more that will be removable: one at the bottom left of this picture, and one on the swim platform.  
    @LaRea you might consider using these...pretty slick and plenty beefy.  Fairly flush after you remove your attachment.

https://www.bigskyprecision.com/products/ladder-mount-receiver-1-2-x-1-1-2
    2006 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    In today's episode, LaRea gets a new windshield wiper system!  It has an Exalto automatic wiper controller, which is 100% awesome because:
    * Has multiple settings: fast, slow, and three intermittent wipe settings
    * It syncs the three wiper motors together (much less distracting, IMHO)
    * Automatic wash cycle with one button press

I replaced the wiper motors too.  The originals (which were all leaking and corroded) had only one speed.  They didn't cover the entire windshield, and weren't adjustable. 

This job was way harder than I expected.  I hooked it up and nothing was working right, so I assumed I had screwed something up.  After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, and about 20 emails to Exalto in Norway, we realized that the controller was defective.  So it wasn't me after all!  They sent a new one, and I finished aligning the wiper arms today.

• Options
    Awesome on the wipers! Mine have two speeds, fast and really fast. Which is great for running in the rain but on days where I’m getting spray a slow or intermittent would be lovely. Funny they start in sync but end up out of sync as time groes on. As particular as I am that has never bothered me… gets the job done 😃 boat is looking great!

• Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    I have marathon install, flat high performance disc to the coach, But i notices the mobile RV system only can be use under 10 mph during travel time. I am wonder if the marine subscription is the same as the Rv one?. Thx
  • Options
    @oscar1 -- I have the same high performance antenna.  The marine subscription will operate at any speed, but it's $250/month.  Some cruisers use the RV plan and accept the risk that Starlink might shut them down.  I'll be relying on Starlink for income to buy diesel fuel, so I can't take that risk.  :)
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never read about anyone having issues with Starlink at any speed, and I did a lot of research. The only challenge is the handoff between ground stations but that is inevitable at any speed. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Awesome job, but just one question: Are you building a boat or a space shuttle?!  :D
  • Options
    @LaRea' you need to throw one of your "before" pictures right there- that's really amazing work you have done. To bad you can't pay yourself..