Hurricane Irma

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
Well looks like Hurricane Irma will be hitting us. I plan to leave the boat in the lift but strap it down real tight. I also plan on leaving if it's a Cat 4 or worse on Sunday. I also plan to post a lot of pictures when I get back. 

Comments

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Be safe is the best way to go good luck
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck!!! 
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck Handy.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to stay at Ras house
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best of luck Steve.....so much for year round boating?
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope it does not hit, but get out if it does. You can sleep in Ras boat. 
    Boat Name : 

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Good luck...hope it misses you
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, its sitting out front on dry land! I figure if we flood, I can run the Genny and cook out on the gas grille!
  • halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    Stay safe Steve. Hopefully you only have some extra water in that pool of yours. Get the family out of Dodge. 
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking at Irma's predicted path, your going to see some activity. I'm sure that you have an escape plan. 
    Boat Name : 

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only bad plan is not having one. Sounds like you're prepared. Stay safe!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    I am a former Boy scout. The only thing at this point is to stay put or drive somewhere but where to??? The storm has several different paths to go. Also, Jose is on Irmas heels
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    I remember when my father lived in Cape Coral and had the hurricane come right thru and up Port Charlotte.  They just drove about an hour inland while it went thru.  The boats that made out best were the ones that were either floating in the middle of the canal, with long lines tied across the canal, or those tied to the lift, but lift not all the way up, allowing boat to float with lift up and then back down.  Good luck!  Looks like southern FL may take the brunt of it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Worst case is I lose the boat and I get a Fat check LOL
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cat 5 as of today.  A biggie.  Stay safe.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    in 2004 we had 3 hurricanes come through central FL within 2 weeks I think it was? They were like cat 2 worse by the time they got to me. I'm about 45 miles inland from the east coast, probably 150 from the west coast and I'd guess 300 miles north of S Florida- and thankful once again I'm on a trailer and not on the water.  The place I store at has an L shaped building, will probably take my Bimini tops down but other than that, not much I can do. If we get 150 MPH winds, does not make much difference at that point if it's in a building or not. I'd think most of the older metal type buildings would come down anyway. We are getting fuel, water, flash lights, checking genny but other than that, not much you can do beyond. Have enough stuff to last about 3 days. One thing I did hear that was new to me, since governor duh has declared a state of emergency, if anyone reading this is effected and your running short on any meds, you can call them into your doctor and even if your not due yet, your insurance drug co. has to supply them. It does not cover, @handmans342, the little blue pills!
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I'm in Charleston, but looking at the models Irma is likely to come right up 95 through at least NC. Where do you evacuate to in that case?! This is a tough one.

I lived in FL in 2004, in a hammock, tied to my Jeep. I rode Charlie out near Arcadia, FL that way. I ran back to my storage unit in New Smyrna, where I rode out Charlie again (the storm made a 180 turn). Between those two hits I lost most of my stuff, the job opportunity that I was waiting on (lineman with Florida Electric), and was forced to go stay with family in MD. I met my future wife there, and now I'm trying to figure out how to keep our three beautiful kids safe from yet another storm!

The secret to surviving a hurricane is the same as a train. Wait until it's close enough it can't swerve, then if you're on the tracks move!
    @dude_himself that's a horrible story- I'm sitting in New Smyrna right now and it is still re building some from last years storm. I live in Sanford so I'd guess you know where that is so I'm not to worried- more about tornado activity than anything.  Unless I hop on a plane and leave the state and go west, I have no idea where I could go other than my house in Sanford where I have been through at least 3 which was Jean, Francis and Charlie. Seems like there was another one earlier as we have lived in that home for 30 years.
    I wish  everyone in the Gulf area a safe passage.

That said, I always go "what" when I hear year round boating and Florida in the same sentence. My parents lived in Fort Lauderdale for 18 years. IMO from June to August it was too bloody hot to boat. People ran from their AC cars to the AC malls, homes and work places. September/October brought hurricanes. November/December brought rain. December was decent temperature wise and it got better steadily until March when the temps were decent until June. I was in Fort Meyers last September and they were boarding-up buildings, stocking-up on supplies and issuing evacuation route warnings. For God's sake there are permanent evacuation route markings on the city streets.

So good luck Gulf Coast guys but please don't feel sorry for we Northern boaters. This year was a bit weird with all the rain (no hurricanes though) - but usually for us - April is a great time to start, a bit rainy but warm. May through August is fantastic weather. September and October are usually beautiful boating months. So 7 great months with no hiding from hurricanes, weather related insurance claims, stocking-up on food worrying about storage sheds going airborne. 

just watch for floods and tornadoes! I don't do 40 below zero very well either...
    just googled a weather app from here in Aruba, that Irma looks like a real beast. You guys had better be careful. Fingers crossed. Prayers said X2 (Admiral and me)!
    The exact track will be determined on Thursday
    Good luck Steve et. al.
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just saw on the news that Irma has clocked the highest wind speeds ever recorded!  :#
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Al said to stretch 2 6x6 across dock, let boat rest on them slightly and strap it down. 
    Any suggestions on sealing the cabin door? Also I want to cover the dash. I dont want to have all that rain pummel on it. Was going to duct tape a trash bag over it
    I would just put the tape on it....if we get over 100 mph winds hand, not sure anything we do will make much difference. I think I will take off my cover, pull the seats that are not fixed and hope the dam thing does not blow over....foes not look like you will see the storm surge unless it turns dome funny direction...wish you luck buddy..
    If I remove the seats, the tubs underneath fill up with water
    Better than the seats blown out into the gulf somewhere?