Just ordered my Hill Marine 4x4 Props!!!

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
My factory 3x3 props are in need of refinishing and just couldn’t see spending $360+ to have them done when everyone is raving about the 4x4’s... Had to have them next day delivery(Ouch) for Monday and my boat gets splashed on Tuesday! Can’t wait

Comments

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    OK Ok hearing a lot about Hill Marine props...... What is the difference between Hill Marine Bravo 3 props and Merc Cruiser Bravo 3 props???????? 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About 10 goals. Hahahahahahha
    About 10 goals. Hahahahahahha
    You smoking the stuff again Handy?????
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    25% More blade to help push your boat though Boston harbor.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    3 blade is the standard bravo prop.
    Hill marine 4 blade is raked a little and cupped.

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    OK Ok hearing a lot about Hill Marine props...... What is the difference between Hill Marine Bravo 3 props and Merc Cruiser Bravo 3 props???????? 
    The HM props are awesome and the bravo 3 props are MEHHHH
  • thepriceisrightthepriceisright Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    I just put 4x4 20ps on my 270. Splash on Tuesday! I'll report back.
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    when I replaced my drive I was going to buy those ,they told me it would void my 3 year warranty .I think they were full of it and were just trying to get me to buy the props from them ........and it worked Diggin let me know if their is a big improvement Thanks Greg
    Has anyone reported before and after results for their B3s???
    Like 5 of us have.. I posted pictures with Vessle view rpms and gps speeds.. they were all pretty positive. My goal was not top end, it was to get the boat to plane at a lower speed and have it work less to get up there. Both of those happened and I believe the only thing that happened is I top out at 38ish, before it used to be 40.. doesn't really matter as I cruise at 25/27 
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I just put 4x4 20ps on my 270. Splash on Tuesday! I'll report back.
    Ordered the exact same and I splash on Tuesday as well... 
    Must be all those tables you're selling!! 
  • laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
    I have reported with a few pictures of my dashboard. It’s like having a new boat with the 4x4 . Check my posts for past pics
    See attached pic of dashboard after installation of 4x4 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if your trim gauge is working or not but if your drive is down in that pic you can get more out of her if you trim the drive up some.
    2008 330EC
    Good point aero3113 I will look into
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Anybody do this on a Volvo?

No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
    No one really answered my question. What is the difference between the 2 props? Merc Cruiser 4 blade and Hill 4 blade?  
    aero3113 said:
    I don't know if your trim gauge is working or not but if your drive is down in that pic you can get more out of her if you trim the drive up some.
    Actually that's not true with the 4x4's. It changes the whole ride of your boat where the stern rides higher than with the merc 3x3's ... there's zero need to do any trimming of anything. 
    raybo3 said:
    No one really answered my question. What is the difference between the 2 props? Merc Cruiser 4 blade and Hill 4 blade?  
    no idea, Hill performs amazingly so I'm sure nobody bothers with merc 3x4's
    See this link for info about propellers that lift the stern. http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/prop3.html 
    J3ff said:
    See this link for info about propellers that lift the stern. http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/prop3.html 
    I’m really skeptical of the reasoning used in that paper. Even more so since the author posted an update claiming he now doesn’t believe his own theory. 
    lol! yeah but it sounds good?? :) 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    raybo3 said:
    Good question Ray.  I believe the cupping is definitely different (more on the HM).  For me, Hill Marine was the first prop I could find that gave me the option for B-2 to be able to replace the hubs if or when needed.  The other props all have pressure fitted hubs, which just don't work when you're pushing 12 tons.  (believe me, I tried many times)  The hubs on HM, had like 6 one inch diameter rubber that can be replaced and reinstalled.  Although they said I won't need to replace them anytime soon.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

@DI ok so the hubs are "better" but that should not make a difference in the way the boat preforms unless the hub was "slipping". Any prop shop can cup a prop. I have had it done a long time ago on my 20' Chaparral. No big deal was just wondering why everyone is jumping on the Hill band wagon........
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    @raybo3 - Here’s my reasoning... My props are in need of refinishing and the cost for the set is $360. I can sell my existing props for a few hundred bucks. I have the FV270 w/350 mag MPI and it isn’t exactly a rocket ship out of the hole. I have larger/wider trim tabs to help get on plane faster and figured that with all the rave reviews of the 4x4 Hill props, I may as well give it a shot. Spoke with the tech and he recommended going with a 20 pitch prop set. He says that it will get on plane faster and be able to hold plane at a lower speed. I’ve had my FV270 for 4 years and I will know immediately tomorrow if the props have made an improvement... will report back tomorrow(if all goes well with launch AND if the props arrive today!!!!)
    I can confirm it does both, the other thing is the motor doesn't work as hard which results in less engine noise. 
    Props are on the drive, drive is back on the transom, boat goes in tomorrow! Very excited to try these things out!

Props are on the drive, drive is back on the transom, boat goes in tomorrow! Very excited to try these things out!

Is that new blue bottom paint? If so, it should be 1 inch from the transom