Options

Rinker 330/340 2008+ Random Topics

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got ya, I don’t have an aft TV. If you don’t find the table @diggin2day1 can make you a custom table.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I found the table!  It was under the aft sofa.  I also got the aft TV off, there were 2 Phillips head screws underneath that needed to be removed.

I knew the AC unit was not quite right when I first turned it on, now I see why it was so noisy.  All the aluminum is completely corroded from the lip of the pan down and the only thing holding the unit to the pan is the compressor bolts.

Still works though!

Rather disappointed that the surveyor didn't note this.  I could clean it up but I think I'll replace with one of the new "Turbo" units with the sound shield and composite pan.
    Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    You’d hope surveyor would note that.  More likely he turned it on (it works) but didn’t pull the bed apart to look at it.

Just wondering, is all that corrosion a result of the unit being used a lot, thus leaving condensation in drip pan, or perhaps was previous owner in salt water and the salty air got to it?
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    The surveyor ran the AC unit during the sea trial and reported it was working great.  :s

I believe the pan drain has been blocked for quite some time.  Salt water boat and probably not very well cared for overall...
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Believe it or not, even well taken care of boats, the first thing that gets nasty is the AC condensation pan.  Mine doesn't look great either.  The new ones are so much quieter and have a pan that doesn't rust.  It does not surprise me the surveyor didn't catch it.  Not saying they shouldn't have, a good surveyor definitely would have.  It's always best to be there with the surveyor to do your own.  I've dug thru my share of boats, helping buddies when they buy one, an if they don't like me digging thru things then they really don't want to see that boat.  (I'm not rude & I do put things back, but you've gotta get in every nook and cranny)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I forgot to take a pic but in the engine bay, port side corner close to the fuel tank there was a bracket made of starboard hanging down with nothing attached to it.  It had a couple screws in it as if it was once a mounting plate for something.  Any idea what this is for?

Thanks!
  • Options

This is the only pic I have of that area.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Here's all I got.  I don't recall seeing any starboard in that area.  Sounds like something PO added to mount something.  
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Very interesting, thank you both!  I'll get a pic of it next time I'm at the boat.  It looked like a good place to install a switch for some engine bay lighting.

@Aero, next time you're on your boat, could you please measure the surface where the binnacle mounts?  Mine is in rough shape.  Thank you!

• Options
    Mine had that pitting also, I polished it with Nuvite polish then waxed it. Looks like new! I’ll try to remember to get a measurement next time I’m on it.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Flitz will clean that right up as well.

• Options
    Yes, Flitz will work well also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @YYZRC , looks like 8”x 8”.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That bracket is where the flux capacitor goes...don't leave the dock with out it!
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Buy a new cover lol
  • Options
    @aero3113 @Dream_Inn I didn't realize pitting on binnacle was salvageable.  Will definitely try and refurbish it and wheel next season.  Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    You are awesome Aero, thank you!!
  • Options
    Your welcome @YYZRC. When you get around to polishing the binnacle it will look a ton better, it won’t get rid of them 100% but will look 100 times better.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I had already ordered a new binnacle before I knew the Merc unit could be refurbished but I will polish the current one up before I sell it!
  • Options
    Does anyone know where to get a replacement cap for the swim platform ladder?  Mine is missing one.  I assume it's relatively generic.
  • Options
    I have one missing also.  I see a pattern here.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put me on the list for one plastic thing-a-ma-gig.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Put me on the list for one plastic thing-a-ma-gig.
    LOL!  both mine are missing and I know of at least 2 other Rinker owners on my dock are too. :)

• Options
    edited November 2019
    I didn't get a chance to measure last time I was on the boat but I feel like the tubing is around 2" in diameter?  I'll take the calipers next time to measure the ID.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Plastic-Furniture-Fencing-Equipment/dp/B0756861YG
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Was on the boat yesterday doing some cleaning and exploring. Opened the access panel under the aft sofa and surprise! Gross. It looked like anti-freeze??

After: 

Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    I was able to snap a pic of the mystery starboard mounting panel. 

• Options
    I got the quote for the bow thruster install. $18,000 CDN for parts, labor and sales tax!  :open_mouth: 

I think I will do the wiring myself, which will cut the labor hours in half.  This brings me to my question.  Why can't/shouldn't I use the same battery for the bow thruster and the generator?  It's not that doing so will save a ton of money, but rather the thought of another dedicated battery seems illogical to me.
  • Options
    Cleaned the filter for the AC unit (the one on the intake vent next to the sink) - also gross!

• Options
    @YYZRC , my mid bilge was the same. I used a shop vac and vacuumed out the water the bilge pump couldn’t get. I don’t know why they have it mounted so high, it seems like it should be mounted lower to pick up more water. The previous owner of my boat had an auto pump installed, it doesn’t have a float, it checks for water every few seconds. Once it senses water it pumps it overboard. I don’t know if it’s supposed to but mine doesn’t turn on with the manual switch, does yours? 

2008 330EC
  • Options
    If you zoom in on my pic, there is a brown wire with a red stripe that’s not hooked up. I wonder if that wire goes to the switch. But since this pump is constantly checking for water, I guess there’s no reason to wire it to a switch?
    2008 330EC