Options

Virus

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got out in the nick of time. Just about the same here but still voluntary. I expect that to change soon.  Be wary of civil unrest if the food supply chain becomes disrupted. 
    Glad you got back home safe but we had a blast!!!!
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    J3ff said:
    Did the same thing! Although I had a co-worker with me, but she stayed at least 3 feet away from me most of the time ;) 

But was that due to the virus or just being stuck on on the water with you?  ;)
    she must really like the color of the water, she'll be out tomorrow too :P
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    I just had to tell 20 full-time employees our hospital department is closed, and unsure when it will reopen. Hope to have an idea what the company is willing to help with, because otherwise its draining your PTO balance and then unemployment.

Sucks for sure, hopefully this doesnt go too long. Instead of checks to everyone why dont they make up the difference in pay for people laid off because of this?

I'm fine because I'm salary and have a good amount of PTO balance, but lots of people do not and its going to really hurt them financially.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your not watching what is going on in Italy and Spain, well your just living in Dreamland.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    One of the chief scientists in the UK is against the younger people being locked down.  young healthy adults only getting mild/moderate cold/flu symptoms at worst, it would lead to a herd type immunity.

The biggest issue i see i  would be keeping the young adults away from the elderly or immune deficient.

Without immunity this could be a reoccurring issue.

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UK just announced that all pubs, restaurants etc. are now closed. Also saw a report last night by a top ranked immunologist that suggests that self immunity may not work in this case. They believe that there are already people that have suffered re-occurrence for two reasons. For some reason the natural immunities are not surviving in bodies of people that have had the virus as long as the virus itself can, and secondly as in all virus's a mutation can occur.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    Amen to that 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
    JoeStang said:
    I just had to tell 20 full-time employees our hospital department is closed, and unsure when it will reopen. Hope to have an idea what the company is willing to help with, because otherwise its draining your PTO balance and then unemployment.

Our son in the restaurant game had to tell 60 people Monday they have no work. It’s a situation that has so much flow down it’s hard to measure.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    What department are you in @JoeStang. Medical field is pretty important right now. My wife is an RN and is busy as heII right now 

Sleep disorder clinics, so not a "life or death" type of department. They have ordered all non-essential hospital & dentist offices to close, to limit the use of PPE. We would have to use gloves, masks, and disinfectant for every patient that could go to the main hospital ICU.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    All I'm going to say is that we ( 3 of us on the boat) did not approach this island...but holy cow... no matter what anyone else does, there seems like there's always going to be a group that completely ignores it..  maybe it's because there's only 1 verified case in the keys and everyone knows it's up at ocean reef, but this was a little mind blowing.

Basically just swung by and then went to find a deserted place to hang out alone..

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can someone ban @J3ff for having all this fun in the keys when none of us are allowed?

Im glad to see you're making up for lost time on the boat
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    COVID19 does not like humidity or surface dampness. I think @J3ff has the right idea. Room for one more?

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    For the first time in my life I just ordered beer and wine from a delivery service. I'm taking my duty to self isolate seriously so won't travel to the store and mingle with other people because of our recent travels. When the guy shows up I'll have hand sanitizer and a wipe for his debit keypad ready. I'm taking it easy on the drinks because if I feel like crap I want to know if its a symptom and not the beer, but hey, a guy's gotta live. Been stuck at home for 4 days, the next 10 are gonna be long.
    @J3ff I am jealous, and not knocking it, but I don't know if I'd be bringing other people out, no matter how pretty!
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    We basically sat in opposite corners of the boat... and have about 1000 purelle wipes on hand. Not sure the boat has ever been as clean as it is now! However I do hear ya... just happened to have friends here that we might not actually see each other again for a few years...if I had any health problems I wouldn't risk it. 
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    COVID19 does not like humidity or surface dampness. I think @J3ff has the right idea. Room for one more?

Anytime, but your zone is the back benchseat/table area.. mine is up front, 6 ft between us (can't wait till we can go back to shaking hands.. :()
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    We can't keep walking around like everyone has the virus and we are all going to die!!! 60 million americans got the swine flu. 300000 went to the hospital. 14000 died. This is BS
  • Options
    Hey, they look like they are 6' apart! Glad to see you having some good time with your boat...if anyone on this forum deserves it, it's you for sure.
    I will launch am and hang out on the lake a bit, get some sun and get ready for what ever the week ahead holds...
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    All non essential businesses shut down...that includes my boat yard.  Until at least April 7.  I can't touch my boat.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ouch that really sucks. Thankfully we are at a very small marina owned by one guy that lives there. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....maybe the only boating season in my life that I will not miss having a boat and can appreciate the Waverunner's flexibility. I can tow that little $hit anywhere!
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Ohio's Governor issued a "shelter in place" order today starting tomorrow at midnight. I read the order and it doesn't seem to be as strict as other states. Marinas are listed as a business that can stay open.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The numbers,  have been tracking the numbers in the US. At home writing it down daily,  kinda wish I would have started sooner. you can clearly see where we are going.  got all the info from CNN

infected                      date                  time
    2400                          3/14/20            4:00 PM
    3150                          3/15/20            5:00 PM
    6130                          3/18/20            8:00 AM
    8700                           3/18/20           11:04 PM
    11,015                        3/19/20           4:05 Am
    13,677                        3/20/20           11:16 AM
    18,170                        3/20/20           9:41 PM
    23,000                        3/21/20           8:26 PM            280 have died
    30,565                        3/22/20           2:30 PM            389 have died  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    This is nothing compared to the flu
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know Handy, this is only 8 days,
     I love this woman.

“When we say that you must stay at home for 14 days that means you stay at home for 14 days, you do not stop for groceries, you do not go visit your neighbors or your friends, that you rest in your house for 14 days, no exceptions,” said Patty Hajdu, Canada’s Health Minister.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    edited March 2020
    No point in pointing fingers yet but I think this country should be way better prepared to handle such an event- almost like a Trojan horse: we have the army and a virus is bringing the country to it's knees....and there will be no vaccine for at least a year...tired of hearing fake news and fake virus.  .have even heard Dems brought it here to take down Trump....getting old hearing the crap- we have not seen zip yet and I hope I'm wrong...and why only are we testing people that everyone has already figured out they have it? Ain't that closing the barn door after the horse is out? These other countries have told us to test and isolate...test test and then test again. We can't even come up with a reasonable supply of tests...and then wait 4 days for the results...on someone that is already sick. Our CDC needs some leadership...along with our country...
    Post edited by rasbury on
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Dr. Emily Landon from the University of Chicago was on during a Covid-19 briefing and I think she summed it up with a great plea that doing "nothing" (by sheltering in place) is doing "something":

"In short, without taking drastic measures, the healthy and optimistic among us will doom the vulnerable. We have to fight this fire before it grows too high. These extreme restrictions may seem, in the end, a little anticlimactic. Because it's really hard to feel like you're saving the world when you're watching Netflix from your couch."

"But if we do this right, nothing happens. Yeah. A successful shelter in place means that you're going to feel like it was all for nothing. And you'd be right. Because nothing means that nothing happened to your family. And that's what we're going for here."

• Options
    Well... the keys kicked everyone out today apparently... the roads are def empty and the boating scene was def more "socially distanced" - did my part by taking the jetski out for a solo ride around... saw a couple boats with lots of people on them, but not like yesterday where everyone was out to party! 

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    skennelly said:
    All non essential businesses shut down...that includes my boat yard.  Until at least April 7.  I can't touch my boat.
    Ditto.  I'm really lucky.  The boat stored behind me at Fort Belvoir (Rinker 310) is scheduled for a sea trial tomorrow, so they launched me early to get him out.  Good thing - Belvoir is now closed, so no more boat launches until they reopen. 

I need to give my mechanic an extra little something in the pay envelope for hustling me out of there.