Options

Virus

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    I agree to drop the political arguments. Take it elsewhere, I come read here as an out from the everyday madness. Please..
    Stop it. This is a great place to vent and also talk about boats. LOL
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭

But the point of my post is this. Everyone needs to recognize the following: This disease has the potential to wipe out 10's if not 100's of thousands around the world. It has no political ideology, does not recognize borders or governments, races, religion, or socio-economic background.
    Posturing and politicizing will not help the situation. Everyone needs to set their differences and opinions aside and work together to beat it. Having an opinion is fine, expressing it in relation to this pandemic to support a particular view is not.
    We can kick each other's a$$e$ later, right now we need to do whatever we can to support ourselves, our friends, our neighbours and the rest of mankind to beat this thing.

AMEN TOO THAT
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting back to the virus and it's effects, although it is a dark time there are pinpoints of light shining through. We are hearing stories of families spending more time together and with getting tired of the relentless onslaught of the media they are setting aside their electronic devices and spending time doing things together. The sober side of this is causing people to seriously talk about their lives, their ambitions and hopes and what direction they want to take when it subsides.
    Our own circumstance is interesting in that my wife and I are basically in house arrest/ isolation as a result of our recent travels. Upon crossing the border we were instructed by officials to self isolate for a period of 14 days. Now, there is really nothing to prevent us from moving about freely other than our general sense of abiding by the rules, but more importantly we feel a sense of moral duty to limit our exposure to the community in case we have been exposed to the virus. I even had serious misgivings about meeting up with Randy in Indiana, but we texted back and forth and he would have none of it so we agreed to a short meet.
    So for the first time in our adult lives we are dependent on others, primarily our young adult daughter to help with our well being. She has shined like a champ in getting out and finding the necessities we need for the household and looking after some financial affairs for us and has taken it upon herself to develop a whole raft of activities and projects we can do together while we are house bound. It gives me a glimpse of the future perhaps, as we age and it gives me confidence that everything is going to be alright.
    OK, now back to boat stuff!

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are a small group but we cover a lot of real estate meaning We are US, Canada, UK and other country's. Two of witch have family that are nurses.  I still have the same question I had 3 days ago. Does anyone know anyone that has it? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Today was the first day I’ve seen light loads in the back of the airplane. We were at half capacity on both legs I had today. 2 more legs tomorrow, and 2 on Friday. Up until now, everything was overbooked. We had about 50 no shows on both legs. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have gone from flying close to 1000 people a day to moving about 5 in a matter of a week. Luckily I am salary so there hasn't been a change there..... Yet 🤔
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff tell them you have hand sanitizer and toilet paper. You'll have to beat them off with a stick
    I've been prepping for weeks man... I'm all good.. 
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Handymans342......I always loved you brother......in spite of those diesels LOL :-)
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Geez  Jeff - you could sell that stuff and buy that 400 series Rinker you want!

As for me I think I want to fly back to the Caribbean - forget COVID19 it's just too frickin cold up here! BTW.....just saw TV footage on a U.S. news channel of the beaches at Spring Break in Florida.....those kids don't seem fazed by the fuss!

Can't disagree with forum members who say we should be keeping politics separate from boating but I do find it really interesting to get the views of forum members on some of these topics as (IMO) the forum members are smart, honest and usually when disagreeing do it respectfully. FWIW.....I no longer trust any of the "mainstream" media to report events in an unbiased manner.
    Post edited by Michael T on
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    All schools in the U.K. now shut until September, apart from children of key workers. Personally, I do not think this an overreaction.
    Link to a recent report from Imperial College London.
    https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imperial-college/medicine/sph/ide/gida-fellowships/Imperial-College-COVID19-NPI-modelling-16-03-2020.pdf
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While GM and Ford have stopped production BMW is still running as usual here in the upstate

The plant my dad works at makes the paper used in food production, like the paper a Twinkie sits on in the packaging. They have not even spoken about stopping production,  they deal with food items so its a sterile work environment with frequent dhec checks anyway.

The plant my step mom works out us metting about temporary closure after they found out a production worker had a son living with her who just came in from Spain.  Hes supposed to be in 14 day quarantine.  They walked her out of the plant. 
  • Options
    Maybe they should skip the twinkie and make toilet paper!!
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    We left Chicago to quarantine in SW FLA. Barely touched the brakes in the drive down, zero traffic. Lots of people heading north. College kids are present and finally breaking up their parties, Clearwater closed their beach yesterday late afternoon, a local said. It's going to be 3-4 mos until we are clear.  
  • Options
    Remember back when all we had to worry about was hard top vs non hard top and diesel vs gas?

I guess we can all agree Tom Brady would look at home in an Astros uniform.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The plant my step mom works out us metting about temporary closure after they found out a production worker had a son living with her who just came in from Spain.  Hes supposed to be in 14 day quarantine.  They walked her out of the plant. 
    So this is something I haven't yet been able to wrap my head around. We were told to self isolate, but the adult daughter I mentioned above lives with us. She also works in an area where there would be people susceptible to the virus. Before we arrived home we consulted and had her consult with her superiors to see if we should be making other living arrangements for either her, or ourselves but surprisingly the answer was no.
    The protocol is that we keep a distance, have a separate washroom and we take our temperatures several times a day and watch for any symptoms. As long as everything checks out we're good to go. I've been talking to other people who report about the same experience. So it seems the self isolate thing is more to keep people in smaller group situations. Attached is the actual copy of the paper handed out to us at the border. No where on it does it say "Stay away from everybody", it's more "keep to yourselves as much as possible and if you see symptoms lock yourself up". Although we were told verbally to stick to home. Now part of the difference from PickleRick's example is the areas we visited weren't as hard hit and we didn't have to spend 10 hours jammed in an overseas flight.
    On the way from the border we had no choice but to stop for gas and something to eat although we paid at the pump and stood well back while waiting for our takeout which I paid for by tapping my debit card so didn't even have to touch the machine. And so far, two days and feeling fine. In fact, I haven't had a drink since we arrived because if I do develop symptoms I want to know it's the virus and not the beer, so I guess a positive of this is that I'll lose a few pounds and have a clearer head for two weeks!. :D

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    Cant Twinkies be used as TP?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    earl1z19 said:
    Cant Twinkies be used as TP?
    LoL!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Twinkies will be around long after we are gone!!!
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 943 ✭✭✭✭
    Next time you are camping, toss a Twinkie into a campfire. You'll NEVER eat one again. 

Trucks & Trains are keeping this country afloat right now.  My company issued us a Federal exemption, that will allow us to travel still, incase a full Quarantine happens. 

Expect numbers to change tomorrow for test results. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twinkies cause a need for TP
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I wouldnt mind twinkie scented TP
  • Options
    I wouldnt mind twinkie scented TP
    Now thats an idea!
  • Options
    Twinkies could serve 2 functions. The Twinkies can be edible and the wrapper used for hygiene.
  • Options
    So i want some new seats for the rinker, i need my 1000 dollar stimulus check.
  • Options
    We will make it thru this. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    We will make it thru this. 
    I definitely agree.  What nobody knows is how long it will take.  I feel recovery will take at least twice as long as the initial setback.  (ie, if it takes 2 months to reopen things, it will take an additional 4 months to be back to recovery - I don't mean full up, but at least back to fairly normal). (I know Handy, many of us are not normal :) )

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I ship orders everyday using common carrier both east & west coast. East Coast freight rates are still in check but bringing orders across the country has gotten ridiculous. Rates have gone up almost 40% since Monday. 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SO....guy I work with here in fleet sales...his wife is a nurse.....her "boss/doctor" just had to be tested as he has symptoms....so if he has it, then he and his wife have to quarantine...and then me I suppose and what, shut the whole dealership down so we might be pretty close to "do you know anyone that has it" phase...and in what, a week?
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bleach = chlorine, just drink your local municipal water aka tap water

I know that was a joke, but it's FAR from chlorine ... that stuff is a pretty nasty chemical. I'd rather be drinking chlorine!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    earl1z19 said:
    I ship orders everyday using common carrier both east & west coast. East Coast freight rates are still in check but bringing orders across the country has gotten ridiculous. Rates have gone up almost 40% since Monday. 
    Can you locate the trucks that are filled with toilet paper? This is Redicules