Options

Virus

Comments

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some countries whose populations have complied with government requests to report when sick and stay home until diagnosed or cleared are already seeing dramatic declines. South Korea is one such example.

For investors remember that, statistically speaking, markets lead real time events by six months that is they will begin to correct long before the event terminates and they are mean reverting meaning they tend to snap-back from abnormal lows like an elastic band so don't wait for the absolute bottom to buy or you may miss a lightening fast rebound.

Positive thoughts to all.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Michael T that only works if your rich and have lots of cash to invest
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is some good news, US built this for this reason.

The novel coronavirus presents an unprecedented challenge for scientists: The speed at which the virus spreads means they must accelerate their research.

But this is what the world's fastest supercomputer was built for.
    Summit, IBM's supercomputer equipped with the "brain of AI," ran thousands of simulations to analyze which drug compounds might effectively stop the virus from infecting host cells.
    The supercomputer identified 77 of them. It's a promising step toward creating the most effective vaccine.
      Researchers at Oak Ridge National Laboratory published their findings in the journal ChemRxiv.

Boat Name : 

• Options
      But vaccines won't be ready for 12 months???
    • Options
      aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
      There’re saying a malaria drug is working, hopefully that’s true.
      2008 330EC
    • Options
      J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
      edited March 2020
      aero3113 said:
      There’re saying a malaria drug is working, hopefully that’s true.
      I'm all for extra time off... but this thing is dam scary now that everything is closed, lets get that thing out and going!!
      Post edited by raybo3 on
    • Options
      aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
      J3ff said:
      I'm all for extra time off... but this thing is **** scary now that everything is closed, lets get that thing out and going!!
      100% agree, they say it can speed things up rapidly because it doesn’t have to go through testing and approvals.
      2008 330EC
    • Options
      Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
      edited March 2020
      Took the boat out for the first time this season, social separation. Great picture of me with my fat mouth open 😆

I did have some small engine trouble I posted here if anyone has any thoughts  

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/10964/rough-running-volvo-8-1-randomly-struggles-for-power

1997 Bayliner 3988
    • Options
      Did the same thing! Although I had a co-worker with me, but she stayed at least 3 feet away from me most of the time ;) 

Now if they ban going out on a boat...it's going to get really rough.

1st case in the keys reported last night... 
    • Options
      PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
      edited March 2020
      Keys closed all hotels and rentals less than 28 days to tourists

Californians are now ordered to stay home.

@J3ff that is an amazing shot.  

im hoping in June my family gets to enjoy that water, we are in regular contact with the owner and have it worked out where we want to reschedule for an open date at a later time rather than a refund. 
    • Options
      IanIan Member Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭✭
      J3ff said:
      Did the same thing! Although I had a co-worker with me, but she stayed at least 3 feet away from me most of the time ;) 

But was that due to the virus or just being stuck on on the water with you?  ;)

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
      Yep sounds like California is on stay at home. Sounds like I  am gonna not be working for awhile. 
      1997 Bayliner 3988
    • Options
      edited March 2020
      I should have posted these when I first saw them last week. Interesting to see the charts and graphs, I am sure they are not perfect. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://www.coronavirusliveupdate.com/
      1997 Bayliner 3988
    • Options
      WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Sobeys ( a large Eastern Canada grocer) is installing lexan shields at all cashier stations to help protect the workers. There is also now talk of shutting all non-essential businesses. I feel for them, but I couldn't believe when I heard on local news this morning that there are still nail and hair salons and massage places open. Really?
      I think a total stay at home order isn't imminent but very possible.
      "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
      2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
    • Options
      MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.tradingview.com/covid19/

USA better start doing something different, infection rate graph is almost vertical, more steep than ANY other country ... including Italy!

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
      edited March 2020
      My sister works from home in eastern NC. Her husband is a tattoo artist and is still busy with work.  He wont work on anyone who's sick but not a risk id take with 2 kids in the house.  They are close to the coast and their neighborhood is treating it like a party before a hurricane.  Many are militatry.

• Options
      My sister works from home in eastern NC. Her husband is a tattoo artist and is still busy with work.  He wont work on anyone who's sick but not a risk id take with 2 kids in the house.  They are close to the coast and their neighborhood is treating it like a party before a hurricane.  Many are militatry.

Wow. He won't work on anyone that is sick....but how does he know? The big issue is that someone can be carrying the virus and be infectious but show ZERO symptoms.
    • Options
      69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
      MarkB said:

https://www.tradingview.com/covid19/

USA better start doing something different, infection rate graph is almost vertical, more steep than ANY other country ... including Italy!

The increase in “confirmed” infections is directly related to the availability of tests. I believe that’s why we are seeing the sudden increase in confirmed cases. 

I fly into LAX this evening and it’ll be interesting to see what the load is in and out. We leave LAX and go back home to DFW. I’m ready for this pairing to be over. Hotels are nothing but flight crews and there are no restaurants open to eat at.  Luckily some places are offering carry out only, but many aren’t even doing that. 
    • Options
      Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Yeah.....you try telling the "girls" that they can't get their hair and nails done - then you WILL have a real emergency.

• Options
      Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 934 ✭✭✭✭
      Just wait 6-8 weeks, and you will see all of their REAL hair colors hahahahahahaha. 
      2000 Captiva 232 
    • Options
      earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
      Here is the list from Pennsylvania of both Essential and Non-Essential businesses.
      They are on a Non-Essential business closure at this point.
      https://files.constantcontact.com/41739ea9001/97a6e78f-6d00-446a-9174-c1251ea96246.pdf
    • Options
      edited March 2020
      I do not know if my business is essential or not.  Back when y2k was about to hit we were due to our generator repairs.

We work on equipment and provide supplies/equipment to state, county, city, University, federal and private levels.

From the d.o.t. to fire departments to the post office to the city to the county to the companies that maintain the parking lots of walmart/doctors offices and hospitals.  

I am going to propose monday when i get back in town no customers inside the buinsness.  We deal with them in the parking lot one on one.  They can load/unload their stuff and that's it.  Keep them in their vehicles if possible.  We will bring any equipment/parts or supplies out to them.  

All money/cards will be handled with gloves and computers, counters, doors cleaned before, after and half way through the work day.

Id rather close down two weeks and spend it pulling the cab on the bosses f450 to bullet proof the 6.0 but i dont see him buying it.    Sping brings a good 70 to 80% of our yearly income.
    • Options
      Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
      earl1z19 said:
      Here is the list from Pennsylvania of both Essential and Non-Essential businesses.
      https://files.constantcontact.com/41739ea9001/97a6e78f-6d00-446a-9174-c1251ea96246.pdf
      The company that my wife works for is on the non-essential list. The company that I work for is on the essential list. One income is better than none. 
      2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
      Go Steelers!!!
    • Options
      edited March 2020
      The pens stomping the caps in the 2nd round should be on the essentials list.  Philly in round one is a joke, a warm up at best
    • Options
      earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
      earl1z19 said:
      The company that my wife works for is on the non-essential list. The company that I work for is on the essential list. One income is better than none. 
      Keep in mind that you probably need to check each category to see if you can find one to work under. I have customers who fall under several that are allowed to work and some that dont fall under any. Even with this list it seems its open to interpretation and if your employees want to work under these conditions
    • Options
      Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
      @earl1z19 the list is vague. She works for a custom home builder as the marketing director. Home construction was on the list, but home improvement stores were not. I am almost certain that she will be able to still work, but the job sites will more than likely have to be shut down, minus the ones that the Amish are framing. They play by their own rules. 
      2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
      Go Steelers!!!
    • Options
      Florida just closed all restaraunts and beaches!!! Wwoowoow
    • Options
      halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
      Got out in the nick of time. Just about the same here but still voluntary. I expect that to change soon.  Be wary of civil unrest if the food supply chain becomes disrupted. 
    • Options
      Got out in the nick of time. Just about the same here but still voluntary. I expect that to change soon.  Be wary of civil unrest if the food supply chain becomes disrupted. 
      Ammo locker is full. Hunted all my life. Can fill a freezer or protect it. I'm a polite law abiding Canadian. As long as no one threatens my family or me.
    • Options
      I now know one person who has it. And a friend's father also tested positive...both up north...