Options

Virus

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder what the market will do this week?
  • Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    @rasbury  I think no damage occurs when a sailboat lies on its side on a sand bar.  Some owners use a technique called careening to do maintenance on their boats.  Careening (also known as "heaving down") is the practice of grounding a sailing vessel at high tide, in order to expose one side of its hull for maintenance and repairs below the water line when the tide goes out.

• Options
    rkinrossrkinross Member Posts: 176 ✭✭
    @Handymans342  I think it will continue to decline.  The hype this is getting from the news media is way over the top imho.  Back in 2008 I lost over 100K in several months thinking that the market will come back.  It does come back but it takes years to recoup the 100K with the same buy and hold investments.  This time I got out early to try to preserve capital.  When the market comes back I will take that cash and reinvest it after the fear subsides.  
  • Options
    rkinross said:
    @Handymans342  I think it will continue to decline.  The hype this is getting from the news media is way over the top imho.  Back in 2008 I lost over 100K in several months thinking that the market will come back.  It does come back but it takes years to recoup the 100K with the same buy and hold investments.  This time I got out early to try to preserve capital.  When the market comes back I will take that cash and reinvest it after the fear subsides.  
    I keep watching the dwindle as I remember 1999
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Water World is one of my favorites. As he said
    :when your on land it does not move right. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    Speaking of sail boats and know nothing of keels...so I see these boats on the ICS near sandbars at low tide. I also  see mast sticking out of the water...anyway...if a sailboat gets fouled with a Sand bar... ends up on its its side...tide comes back end..end of the boat?
    Depends on the boat.  The UK is known for huge tide changes so many boats(like the westerly) have dual keels and will sit flat upright on its twin keels like 2 legs. They do it often just to clean the hull.  The westerly 26 is a small trailerable saiboat that has traveled the globe.  She can be hauled on a flat bed trailer.

Some full length keel boats will tie up to a shallow sea wall and wait for low tide so they can also clean the hull.  They need to tie off to the wall or the boat would fall over.
    Others do like @rkinross and rest the entire boat on its side 

Some boats have swing keels that retract for a flat bottom hull and can run around/beach just like a power boater.

We have a cal 24 that was dismasted in a blow, she sits as a dock now and lays on her side on the sandy bank for weeks or months at a time when the lake level drops, when ut rises she pops right back up.  

Some boats are not built as well.  If you didnt retract the swing keel in a Catalina 22 or macgreggor venture and tide went out, the keel may crack the hull where it mounts as these can weigh 400 to 500 lbs or more and are 4 to 5 ft long.   

Some sailboats use the same type of system as a wakeboard board and the keels fill with water for their buoyancy.  

So you can see a minivan towing a 26 ft macgreggor x but it takes a full size truck to move a 5500 lbs flicka 20. 

Ben and Jerry's dont have a fraction of the variety sailboats hulls have...and I'm only talking about what has been produced in the past 40 years.

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    first case in NYC reported today.. def not going to go away.. just wait till next week. 
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2nd US death just happened. 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    Water World is one of my favorites. As he said
    :when your on land it does not move right. 
    I worked with a guy at my company who had a technical Academy award for lighting special effects for Waterworld and Terminator 2.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    Amazing how Coronavirus has arrived in the U.K. from China much quicker than those flu masks I ordered.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry, just another democratic hoax our president has stated...
  • Options
    2 cases in Tampa now
  • Options
    I wonder why this one is getting so much more attention from the others that have " come thru"? I understand it has a higher mortality rate but look at the deaths from the flu each year. As long as we have a country that people survive eating rats we will always have this problem I'd say...what will eventually stop this one? No antiviral medication expected for a year...this can shut our economy down possibly...this is not good!
  • Options
    Im not so sure i want our president tweeting or saying anyting that could send the county into a panic.  

Adding to the hysteria is the last thing that needs to be done.

Carrying hand sanitizer might be a good idea at this point.  My biggest issue is i have a kid in public school. Getting an 11 yr old to wash his hands before eating or touching his face is going to be impossible.  
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    At least you can't pass this virus on to your family pet.
    Unless it's a Pangolin.
  • Options
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    It is sad that political parties all over the world politicize health emergencies to demonize political opponents.

The stock market is showing signs of a rebound.

As my grandfather used to say - "preparation precludes panic" and (IMO) the U.S. is VERY prepared for just about anything.

COVID19 will come and go and life will go on. Unfortunately, as Ras has stated, I doubt China is finished shipping us diseases. Their demographic and financial status makes that almost inevitable.

IMO all that Americans (and most people) need to flourish is to have government get out of the way, stop telling them what color of underwear to wear, reduce red tape for industry and engage in infrastructure spending all of which would increase the average American's wealth then.....BAM - watch out.

The fact that so much has been accomplished the last three+ years when the President Of The United States, almost all of his cabinet and appointees, from Judges to department heads, have been (IMO) under constant harassment - starting even before he was elected - in what appears to me as a maniacal and rabid attempt to nullify an electoral process duly undertaken by the American people.........I can only imagine what Donald Trump and Co. could do, economically speaking, for this country if he gets a majority in both houses next election.

I have said, on this forum, for many years that only crass stupidity or partisanship can hold the American people down. If given half a chance you get to see the most resilient and productive people/economy in the world demonstrate what they can do.

Fear not my American friends, it will take a lot more than Chinese theft of American Manufacturers proprietary secrets, Chinese dumping of products, Chinese currency manipulation or sending you $hitty viruses to dampen your future.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    You sound like a libertarian.   

What's pissing me off is on all these us confirmed deaths from the corona virus none of them are listing the ages or possible health issues any of them had.  Were these healthy people dying or elderly/young or people with compromised immune systems.

I don't trust half what the media says.  Ommiting information is as bad as issuing false information, especially when it's done to cause fear/hysteria.

• Options
    Mr. T, I agree with most of what you say- except the financial crisis occurred because the government removed the controls and some got greedy.  I would also add that the progress since then has been much longer that the "last 3 years' also- hopefully one day this country would find the balance of just enough without two much- oddly so many of this presidents cabinet worked for Goldman Sachs....so we apparently are not there yet.
  • Options
    You sound like a libertarian.   

What's pissing me off is on all these us confirmed deaths from the corona virus none of them are listing the ages or possible health issues any of them had.  Were these healthy people dying or elderly/young or people with compromised immune systems.

I don't trust half what the media says.  Ommiting information is as bad as issuing false information, especially when it's done to cause fear/hysteria.

Some of the deaths were elderly people in a nursing home
  • Options
    That's what it sounds like so far 100%- people that had compromised immune systems which pretty much happens when the flu is running around...kids and elderly....
  • Options
    My wifes best friend just lost her 8 year old grandaughter to the flu!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    So sad. Sorry to hear that @Handymans342 .
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    That's awful.....
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    That's what it sounds like so far 100%- people that had compromised immune systems which pretty much happens when the flu is running around...kids and elderly....
    I hate to hear anyone losing their life but this is information the public needs to know.  
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....sorry about that Handy!

• Options
    halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭✭
    sorry to hear as well :(
  • Options
    Thanks guys. 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's terrible sorry to hear that.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cannot imagine as a parent, losing an 8 year old, and to the flu. 
    Boat Name :