Options

Virus

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I'm ready to burn my 300 gallons that are in my tank just to fill her back up with cheaper fuel too! :)  I almost had her out this past weekend for the Annapolis St Patty's day parade and party!  We went, just didn't go by boat.  I'll be on the boat this weekend though!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im ready to launch.  Sadly i need to get in the water to launch.  I plan on making mods that will allow me to launch without getting wet before this spring.  
  • Options
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree on fuel prices, admiral and I were just saying how glorious $2.00/gal at the fuel dock would be. Some big trips would be in order! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Fuel at gas stations would be .99 cents/gal before marinas would charge 2 bucks lol
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    aero3113 said:
    @69fastback , hopefully the warmer weather coming in will help kick it and will be over quickly. I’m hoping this will bring more business to private aviation. I’m thinking more people and companies will want to travel in the confines of their own chartered aircraft. Our cleaning crew has really stepped up their cleaning process in the cabin.
    I hope people keep flying airlines! Lol

my daughter is very big into livestock showing and we have thousands of dollars invested in theses animals, and countless hours of work by these kids, all with the goal of making sale at Houston in order to keep funding the project every year. I personally have over $7K in pigs, and they canceled the Houston livestock show and rodeo today. Now I have $7K of pigs sitting in a barn and a devastated child because this is the biggest event for her every year. This media induced madness needs to stop. 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Same sort of scenario, Wife is music teacher/ choir , son is band director. They were preparing the middle school kids for a contest on April 4th. It's canceled. She has about 90 kids, he has 150 in his band's.  No money involved but a lot of time. They are going to video the performance at there school and send it in.  To be judged. Many local and state collages are closing. There was a teacher's meeting after school, they said The state may close all school's be prepared. 

@fastback.    That's expensive bacon. I feel for your daughter. She was looking forward to it. As many others involved in events. March madness, not allowing fans in. You are exactly right media, has turned this upside down. There is only a half a percent morality rate I just found out. earlier number's were 2%

Sadly I expect this is just the beginning. I'm flying on march 22nd unless they cancel. 

Edit: Less than two hour's  after this post the wife received an e-mail form the school corp. to prepare packets. For two weeks. as they are about too do that. The Governor has recommended  one go to church. I do not get it. There are only 11 case's in my state. My grandson taekwondo tournament canceled. Not understanding, I am not comprehending any of any of these decisions. Anyone else got a clue?  
    Post edited by randy56 on
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shumer chastised Trump for declaring countries with high rates of infection closed and initiating quarantines of suspected infection cases NOW he has under reacted and is the cause of the stock market collapse THAT and what you all have described above is indeed madness. One of the last refuges of sanity may be this forum - although the two posts of cruisers crashing into other docked boats makes me even wonder about boating sanity? :-)
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree. The virus is here and there is nothing anyone can do about it! It has to run its course and everyone is going to be affected one way or another. This is all in the bible by the way. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Yeah, a bit over done I think (maybe I'm wrong).  My daughter now has all her classes online.  My son's steel band concert (his big one that a special guest, this year from Trinidad) looks to be cancelled for this Friday.  I always enjoy it and look forward to it for months!  It usually means the start of boating and just love that sound of steel drums!  My wife is an RN and boy she is not enjoying all the extra crap they are going thru right now.  Time to go boating!!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Time to go live on aboat until this crap dies down.  

I'm waiting on an announcement that the NHL season will be postponed later today
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    We've been in New Orleans the last few days and it's business as usual and Bourbon Street as crazy as ever. Apart from a few servers wearing rubber gloves but that's probably not a bad idea anyway.
    Media induced hysteria and stock market losses triggered by large fund managers setting up to profit on short selling.
    People need to start thinking for themselves again and not following the ignorant masses and the talking heads on TV whether they be media or political. Wash your dam hands and stay home if not feeling well. That's it.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Im glad my investments (although small) have been in land.  The stock market can do all it wants,  i can never replace the need or cash flow from lower income housing.  

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No one seems to care in Key Largo, this was yesterday at Sunset. Restaurant was packed! 
  • Options
    In the keys they get hit by a cat 5 then crawl/hike through rubble to drink warm beer at any open bar.    

The conch republic never formally rejoined the union when they succeeded back in the 80s.  I dont expect many down there to participate in the hysteria until the bars are closed
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    We've been in New Orleans the last few days and it's business as usual and Bourbon Street as crazy as ever. Apart from a few servers wearing rubber gloves but that's probably not a bad idea anyway.
    Media induced hysteria and stock market losses triggered by large fund managers setting up to profit on short selling.
    People need to start thinking for themselves again and not following the ignorant masses and the talking heads on TV whether they be media or political. Wash your **** hands and stay home if not feeling well. That's it.
    Every single one of my flights have been filled to capacity, so far. Like, completely full. Hopefully that continues because being unemployed due to this stuff will be really frustrating. 
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    My son is scheduled to play baseball in Orlando during spring break. When we originally booked rooms back in December everything was sky-high. Last night my wife said to re-check prices and our favorite place - a two bedroom, 1200 sq. ft. condo - is now less than a grand for an entire week -- during spring break! Here's hoping his school doesn't cancel the trip...
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    I really hope everyone is panicking about nothing, but the mortality rate in Italy is currently more than 6%. Tell me that's not worrying.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    What's the morality rate in Italy for healthy people under 60 vs the elderly and those with compromised immune systems?

The media leaves out important information when they are telling everyone they have a 94% survival rate(in Italy)

Letting my admiral catch me checking out another lady on the lake only has a 50% survival rate.

Maybe it's because i live in South Carolina and have seen the old sanitariums torn down and tb grave yards plowed over for new construction.  

The mortality rate for tb up until the 50s was 29%.  The quarantine time was 3 years.  The facilities couldnt be built fast enough to house the infected.  They had beds lined up in the halls.  Some of those facilities still sit in ruins today (state park in Columbia sc is most famous).   The waiting time to get into the facilities was always an issue. 

Lots of ghost stories come from these areas. 

• Options
    An NBC anchor stated that the average age in Italy was 78 years of age. Find that a bit high - how did they calculate that? But if anywhere near true it explains a lot. So far, in Canada we have reacted verrry conservatively - maybe too much so. Agree with @Willhound some fund managers have probably set a lot of this up due to short sells.
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    According to a Scientific American story, the average age in Italy is 47 (compared to 38 in the USA). But, Italy has the oldest population in Europe, with about 23% of residents 65 or older which explains the higher mortality rates.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    Same sort of scenario, Wife is music teacher/ choir , son is band director. They were preparing the middle school kids for a contest on April 4th. It's canceled. She has about 90 kids, he has 150 in his band's.  No money involved but a lot of time. They are going to video the performance at there school and send it in.  To be judged. Many local and state collages are closing. There was a teacher's meeting after school, they said The state may close all school's be prepared. 

@fastback.    That's expensive bacon. I feel for your daughter. She was looking forward to it. As many others involved in events. March madness, not allowing fans in. You are exactly right media, has turned this upside down. There is only a half a percent morality rate I just found out. earlier number's were 2%

Sadly I expect this is just the beginning. I'm flying on march 22nd unless they cancel. 

Edit: Less than two hour's  after this post the wife received an e-mail form the school corp. to prepare packets. For two weeks. as they are about too do that. The Governor has recommended  one go to church. I do not get it. There are only 11 case's in my state. My grandson taekwondo tournament canceled. Not understanding, I am not comprehending any of any of these decisions. Anyone else got a clue?  

Although my gut says that we are over-reacting into hysteria ... the reason they are locking everything down is that there is pretty much irrefutable evidence that (1) the virus is HIGHLY contagious (concentration/viral count in mouth when infected is off the chart, it can become an aerosol, etc) ... and (2) it has a 5 day incubation period, which means you don't even know you have it until after 5 days, so people are walking around feeling healthy but blasting everyone with the virus.

The point of lock down is to prevent it from becoming wide spread. If you lock down when 20% or 30% of the population has it ... you're done ... no point ... because probably the other 70% - 80% has been exposed.  Lock downs only work if you are keeping the majority of healthy population away from the few unhealthy. So the time is now.

The thing that I'm battling with is ... is this really worse than a bad flu? Well, some doctors are saying yes, about 30x worse.  Anyone over 40, particularly with a medical condition can die from this ... and you may be thinking ... "Well, I'm healthy, and I'll make it." My biggest concern ... the kids getting it, and giving it to my wife's mom. No one's happy when grandma passes way, so God help us that doesn't happen.

Now, I'm very level headed, and I see the media hype ... not falling for that. I'm an engineer, and everything is just a risk based calculation to me right now.  So, please do not think this is coming from someone who has fallen for a conspiracy theory.  I am simply trying to explain the logic in the lock downs.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    An NBC anchor stated that the average age in Italy was 78 years of age. Find that a bit high - how did they calculate that? But if anywhere near true it explains a lot. So far, in Canada we have reacted verrry conservatively - maybe too much so. Agree with @Willhound some fund managers have probably set a lot of this up due to short sells.

Average age seems to be 45 ... definitely not 78 years of age.  That is probably the average life expectancy in Italy.  That anchor needs to get their facts straight.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Tom Hanks has it LOL
  • Options
    Does anyone remember the 2009 swine flu? Of course you dont! Thats because the media controls the narrative and they had their man in the whitehouse who could do no wrong and he had everything in control. 18000 death's. 300000 hospitalized just in the 🇺🇸
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    MarkB said:
    Michael T said:

Average age seems to be 45 ... definitely not 78 years of age.  That is probably the average life expectancy in Italy.  That anchor needs to get their facts straight.
    Think the avg age of 78 - meant the avg age at which people are dying in Italy. Not the avg age of the country population.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Listening to a doc on CNBC yesterday.

Big issue (pun intended) in the U.S. is that 45% of the population is considered obese. Which means their respiratory system is already compromised. The chance of dying from the virus escalates quickly if you are obese.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Handy.....I can see the headline - Forest Gump blames Trump!
  • Options
    So, from an Italian Physician friend -  regarding our Italian neighbours: oldest population median in Europe with 23% of Italian population > 65 with median age 47.3 compared to U.S. at 38.3%.  95% of deaths in Italy have been of people aged >78 (which is probably what the anchor meant to say).
  • Options
    Does anyone know anyone who has it??