Options

Virus

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I’m not into conspiracy theories but this is interesting, so...... was it an experiment that escaped into the wild?? 

Koontz wrote this book in 1981, read the circled/ highlighted bits make you wonder what they are up too. He even has the year 2020.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many other predictions did he hit? why would the Chinese destroy there own? 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    This is nothing new. Grab your nearest bottle of Clorox, or Lysol wipes! This is on it. This isn't a pic I snagged off the internet. It is my wipes! I purchased these over 4 months ago....
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    @Lake_Bum is totally on point. "Coronavirus" is just a generic term for a common virus.

IMO - The flu is much more prevelant and dangerous. I just looked up the latest CDC stats and so far this season in the US there have been 13 million influenza illnesses, 120,000 hospitalizations, and 6600 flu-related deaths.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TonyG13.....EXACTLY!!!!! Doesn't mean there won't be more pain but some of the mainstream media outlets are just NUTS! I watched a news conference today were the top 6 Doctors/Scientists in the U.S. answered questions......reporters kept trying to bait them into declaring a pandemic. The @#$%^ reporters just want a panic driven news story. Bunch of a$$es!.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never waste a good crisis
  • Options
    @icoultha. What is the ending in that book?? How the heck did Dean know the exact year and the exact city???? That is spooky and believable. 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wuhan was once the Capitol city of China?  My history lessons are blurry.
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From CNN 3/3/20
    "I'm pretty optimistic we are going to have a good antiviral drug and protocol in the coming weeks and months," he said.
    More than 20 coronavirus vaccines are in development, according to Tedros Adhanom Ghebrevesus, director-general of the World Health Organization. The first clinical trial of an antiviral drug is underway.
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    Winston Churchill & Rahm Emanuel both used the phrase "Never Let a good Crisis go to waste" 
  • Options
    Your pro Trump post offends me

Half my family is Catholic and Democrat

The other half is Southern Baptist and Republican

Christmas conversations between the grandparents and great grandparents(both sides served in ww2)  was interesting.

They never agreeed on much but they still respected the others opinion.  That, sadly, doesn't happen any more..

• Options
    You absolutely didnt offend me, i was being sarcastic.  I'm sorry you took that part of my post seriously.  

I agreed 100% with your post, not all members on here will.  

• Options
    You would be better off bringing up diesels or hard tops.  
  • Options
    Back to the topic
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Chances are Dean Kookntz used the city of wuhan as at it was a huge place of industry of many years.  I'm assuming he would have researched China before writing about that book and it would have been one of easier cities to find information on at that time.

The 90s also saw a bit of an economic boom as well as world attention from government cruelty and censorship so it would have been an easy target for the Simpsons gag.  

The corona virus is listed right on the back of the Clorox bottle,  both the Simpsons writers and Dean koontz would have access to that 

As for the year, we were supposed to have flying cars and hover boards by 2019, i wouldnt look too far into that.

The virus makes news reports relevant, interesting and  gives a ratings boost.  I'm pretty sure CNN green lights news stories like Netflix green lights tv show.
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Ford or Chevy? 
  • Options
    What about Dodge? Cant leave them out. Can you say "Hellcat"? That brings ww2 and Dodge in to play at the same time
  • Options
  • Options
    gackgack Member Posts: 315 ✭✭✭
    Heading to Washington DC for a Funeral at Arlington and some sightseeing next week.  Not planning to cancel plans, will just wash hands more often.
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Packard! 
    Packard diesel?
  • Options
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your credit card that you used to buy the trip may have travel insurance and give you a redund.  Airlines are waving fees for change and cancellations, cruises will soon follow.  

My thoughts are prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  Buy water and dry food from Costco, return it if things get better.  Have some cash ready to buy the low, Dow is going back to 30K.
    Its no worse than the flu virus so why is the panic 20 times worse???

Kind of like the Y2K bug, huh?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaRea said:
    Its no worse than the flu virus so why is the panic 20 times worse???
    The mortality rate is 50 times higher than for flu.  

Yes, but the demographic is not representative. Wuhan has an aging population, like by a lot ... and any flu will have a higher mortality rate in an elderly population. So the data is skewed. 

They have already confirmed it is not as deadly as SARS ... the only thing this flu has got going for it is it is contagious ... seems to last for days on surfaces, so it increases the likelihood of it being spread.

Anyhow, the media is have a heyday with this one ... that's for sure.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    18000 deaths from flu this season in the US and the Spanish flu killed 50 million. 

Now you are talking ... you see?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard a story on the radio this afternoon and it had some good news/bad news....it said it did not transfer as easily an the flu, but the mortality rate was 10x worse...but easier to contain. Who knows!
  • Options
    My wifes best friend just lost her 8 year old grandaughter to the flu!

This is disheartening ... I'm praying for that family ... very sad.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    icoultha said:
    I’m not into conspiracy theories but this is interesting, so...... was it an experiment that escaped into the wild?? 

Koontz wrote this book in 1981, read the circled/ highlighted bits make you wonder what they are up too. He even has the year 2020.

what the???

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    shawnmjr said:
    You absolutely didnt offend me, i was being sarcastic.  I'm sorry you took that part of my post seriously.  

I agreed 100% with your post, not all members on here will.  

Probably best for me to just keep it off here lol. 

yeah but now I want to know what you wrote! LOL

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    rasbury said:
    I heard a story on the radio this afternoon and it had some good news/bad news....it said it did not transfer as easily an the flu, but the mortality rate was 10x worse...but easier to contain. Who knows!

I'm getting my info from a doctor at our local hospital (he works emergency) ... he's a dad on our kid's hockey team.  They get data ... not media.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    icoultha said:

I like how Snopes list this as mostly untrue. What does that mean, Mostly?