Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not far from you in the summer. Google Oakland MD
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MarkB said:
    ... but then we eat meat full of growth hormones and antibiotics that are giving half the nation fatty liver disease ... we are an awkward species.
    Ok serious question. I eat a lot of meat and last year I was told that my liver is a bit fatty. Is this the reason?! Wtf. I don’t drink much and the doc had no advice other than exercise. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    MarkB said:
    ... but then we eat meat full of growth hormones and antibiotics that are giving half the nation fatty liver disease ... we are an awkward species.
    Ok serious question. I eat a lot of meat and last year I was told that my liver is a bit fatty. Is this the reason?! Wtf. I don’t drink much and the doc had no advice other than exercise. 
    Alcohol causes it too. Ask me how I know
  • Options
    I don’t drink much. Maybe I should start. 
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    MarkB said:
    All I can say is I had it, and it took the following for one YEAR to get it back to normal:

- cut out almost all starches, especially processed starches (white bread, white rice, etc). The only starch I ate was Fajita wraps. Trick, for spaghetti we had zucchini strings ... and for rice we had broccoli rice ... it actually tastes pretty good.
    - cut out ALL refined sugars ... cakes, ice cream, etc.  Fruit was still on the table.
    - cut out ALL processed meats (hot dogs, salami, etc) ... I ate steak, chicken and other butchered meat A LOT.
    - cut out alcohol, save 2 to 3 drinks PER WEEK.  Count how many you have per week ... one here, two there, another here, 6 there ... anyhow, it adds up, you'll be surprised.
    - exercise at least 3 hours per week ... cardio running on treadmill or outside for 1.5 to 2 miles and then weights for remainder of the time.

I'd say what they put in refined bread and processed meats is a disaster for your liver. That's probably the majority of it.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkB said:
    All I can say is I had it, and it took the following for one YEAR to get it back to normal:

- cut out almost all starches, especially processed starches (white bread, white rice, etc). The only starch I ate was Fajita wraps. Trick, for spaghetti we had zucchini strings ... and for rice we had broccoli rice ... it actually tastes pretty good.
    - cut out ALL refined sugars ... cakes, ice cream, etc.  Fruit was still on the table.
    - cut out ALL processed meats (hot dogs, salami, etc) ... I ate steak, chicken and other butchered meat A LOT.
    - cut out alcohol, save 2 to 3 drinks PER WEEK.  Count how many you have per week ... one here, two there, another here, 6 there ... anyhow, it adds up, you'll be surprised.
    - exercise at least 3 hours per week ... cardio running on treadmill or outside for 1.5 to 2 miles and then weights for remainder of the time.

I'd say what they put in refined bread and processed meats is a disaster for your liver. That's probably the majority of it.
    Thank you! I have my annual medical (MedCan) soon and will find out if my liver has grown or not. The exercise part would hurt me but the other changes you made seem reasonable. 
  • Options
    @MarkB. eat more green veggies. Take Milk Thistle
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff Here ya go, something else to worry about. 750 million of them. Coming to a Key near you. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/19/health/gmo-mosquitoes-approved-florida-scn-wellness/index.html
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    @J3ff I will be in Cudjoe key New Years. 🤓🤓🤓
  • Options
    @shawnmjr. The liver or the food?
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    the ada promotes carbs(breads and pastas)  and low fat diet for weight loss and diabetes/heart diesese prevention.

Could the govt be wrong? Since the 60's?
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    i can see where a mask is needed
  • Options
    @MarkB. eat more green veggies. Take Milk Thistle
    I do both of those. 3 milk thistle capsules a day.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    shawnmjr said:
    MarkB said:
    YYZRC said:
    MarkB said:

Sounds horrible 
    Not really. In the end I could have put it this way ...

I had to resort to a diet of steaks, roast chicken, grilled fish, some pretty tasting salads, lots of non-starch veggies (carrots, spinach, brussels sprouts, broccoli, asparagus, etc) all done with tasty recipes including olive oil, coarse salt, garlic and balsamic vinegar. I switched to 6 cans of Miller Light instead of full body beer. Enjoy one or two glasses of wine on the weekend.  Lunches are wraps filled with anything I want (think tacos, fajitas). 

I wasn't ever hungry, and unsatisfied ... and it felt great to lose 20 lbs.  I had my cheat days ... no ways I was going to my (Italian) mom's place and not having pasta ... I knew that. And I enjoyed it!  

I'd say the only thing I really missed was having burgers in a bun ... but then again, I had my cheat days ... tried to limit those to once or twice a month.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    the ada promotes carbs(breads and pastas)  and low fat diet for weight loss and diabetes/heart diesese prevention.

All I can say is if I cut out carbs, I lose weight (fat) FAST.  In 2 weeks I can drop 5 lbs, easy.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    MarkB said:

All I can say is if I cut out carbs, I lose weight (fat) FAST.  In 2 weeks I can drop 5 lbs, easy.

The heart healthy stamped granola bars and cereals are loaded with sugars.

If you want healthy flip the good pyramid upside down.

Diabetes is a stupid profitable disease.  
  • Options
    MarkB said:

The heart healthy stamped granola bars and cereals are loaded with sugars.

If you want healthy flip the good pyramid upside down.

Diabetes is a stupid profitable disease.  
    Yeah, you gotta watch what's in those foods. Something simple like what you quote above, could be ruining your health, and easily replaced with something just as satisfying.  

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    The food industry learned decades ago when you take out fats you take out flavor. Sugar gives that cardboard junk a palatable flavor. 

Fat barely raises your glucose level while a heart healthy bowl of Cheerios puts it through the roof

Yet the ada will push skim milk and Cheerios over bacon and eggs.  

Guess which breakfast choice can reverse type 2 diabetes?  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MarkB that's pretty much how I lost 100 lbs about 7 years ago. Only thing coloured white that went in my mouth was cauliflower. No white bread, potatoes, pasta etc. No canned or processed foods. Limited the booze. That was the toughest part for me. Lots of greens, lean beef, chicken and fish. And tracked my calories like a fiend. Although I've gained about 40 lbs back in the last 7 years I still feel great, my blood pressure and cholesterol are perfect. The 100 was more of a personal goal but was a bit too much. I need to lose about 20 of the 40 I gained back and I'm good.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    Anyone worried about the murder hornets?
  • Options
    Do they have Covid too? LMAO
  • Options
    Do they have Covid too? LMAO
    The media would have a field day with that. Russian murder hornets spreading Covid LOL

• Options
    You mean the Carroll Baskins bees??
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    They found one in Washington state. Bad thing about them is they decimate a bee hive in no time
  • Options
    They found one in Washington state. Bad thing about them is they decimate a bee hive in no time
    Yeah, I have heard they are devastating to honey bee hives. Here's a video of a praying mantis making short work of one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvPk7EXxdUE
  • Options
    I love praying mantis
  • Options
    Yeah, I have heard they are devastating to honey bee hives. Here's a video of a praying mantis making short work of one.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvPk7EXxdUE
    Awesome. Amazing how the thorax of the hornet was still twitching even with no head. 
  • Options
    There was a show recently where this guy gets stung by one of these hornets among other things.