Options

Virus

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    That makes no sense - it takes me an hour to unload my car! Is your boat stored inside? Mine is and I’m hoping they move it out onto a cradle ASAP. I need them to install my bow thruster already!  :/
    That's just our particular marina. According to the news release I saw from the Province the "public" is not actually allowed in the marina.
    "Marinas may also begin preparations for the recreational boating season by servicing boats and other watercraft and placing boats in the water, but not open to the public. Boats and watercraft must be secured to a dock in the marina until public access is allowed."
    But it sounds like what our marina is trying to do is slide us in two at a time in pre-booked time slots for "servicing", almost like un-paid employees. Probably not totally kosher but I'll take it. I don't want them dropping my boat in until I can get on it anyway. I'm only about 10 minutes from the marina and once in the water I drop by several times a week just to check things out. So I'll probably just wait until the next phase of opening to do what I have to do. We're pretty small so it isn't like some of the big marina's with many hundreds of boats to float. We only have maybe a dozen of us or so that are large enough to require a lift and blocking. From unblocking to being in my slip it's only about a 20 minute process.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Im surprised your lawn equipment shops closed, in all of nc, fla, ga and sc my distributors are running full speed. Same for shipments out of ny and ohio.

Why are meat packing plants not already disinfecting, wearing masks etc?  Seems unsanitary to not do this on a regular non covid basis.

As far as lawn equipment shops and landscaping crews, nc,sc and ga never stopped.  They were all deemed essential.
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:

But it sounds like what our marina is trying to do is slide us in two at a time in pre-booked time slots for "servicing", almost like un-paid employees. Probably not totally kosher but I'll take it.
    Our marinas are both MLM so hopefully the same semi-kosher approach happens at Bay Port too!

This is what Bay Port sent today:

Well, finally, some good news.

As I’m sure you’ve already heard, the province announced the following, effective Monday, May 4th

Marinas may begin preparations for the recreational boating season by servicing boats and other watercraft and placing boats in the water, but not open to the public. Boats and watercraft must be secured to a dock in the Marina until public access is allowed. 

To be clear – the Marina is still closed to the public.   Only those customers that claim their boat as their permanent residence will be allowed on the property and their boats.    Otherwise, you cannot come on-site and work on your boat.

Our service, parts, launch and fuel operations will re-open on Monday.    Our first wave of staff will begin health and safety briefings on Monday morning with an emphasis on Covid 19 related disinfection, distancing and protective equipment.   We will provide each staff member with a Covid–19 Marina Staff Safety Guide – and they’ll have to sign an acknowledgement that requires them to follow all related operating procedures.  If they fail to adhere to these procedures, they’ll be sent home.

We expect to have our first boats hit the water by mid-week.

In my next update, I’ll send you a copy of our “Customer Safety Guide.”  This document will describe

Marina Life in the new world of Covid – 19.   Here are a few highlights:

• We’ll be offering a weekly refuelling service – we’ll drive your boat to the fuel dock, refuel it, pump it out, fill it with fresh water and then return and disinfect it.  There will be no charge for this service, except for the cost of the fuel. You can still refuel like you always do, but we will be limiting the number of boats on the fuel dock at any one time
    • We’ll be meeting with the local Health Unit to determine whether our pools, playgrounds and Laundry rooms will be allowed to open
    • Our new “courtesy boat” will be out on the bay every weekend, delivering free ice, and assisting our boaters (we figure you will want to spend as much time as possible out on the water). 

In my last update, I provided our “launch procedure” details.  We had a very positive response to this plan.  In case you missed it – here it is again.  

Launch Procedure

1. Customers will not be allowed on or near their boat during launch.

Marina staff will look after the following:

·         Remove shrink wrap, cover, or tarp

·         Install canvas – if your canvas is not on the boat, please deliver four days before launch

·         Hook up batteries - boost if necessary

·         Check that the boat is watertight

·         Fuel boat, if requested.

·         Move the boat to slip and secure

·         Check one hour later that the boat is still watertight 

·         Fog or wipe down interior contact points with disinfectant

The fee for this launch service will be $ 120 plus HST.     We will be subsidizing fuel prices if purchased

as part of the launch service - Gasoline and Diesel both at 87 cents per litre.

If your boat needs mechanical work to start, or to move, you will be notified and billed for that service.

1. The Travel Lift Bay will be off-limits to Customers during launch.
    2. Customers will not be allowed on their boat for four days before their launch date.
    3. Reception, parts and service desks will be open, but we will limit the number of customers who can be in the office at any given time.
    4. Parts and service can also be ordered via phone or email – we will deliver parts to your boat if requested

Stay safe, and we hope to see you at the Marina real soon.

Dave Rozycki

President

Maple Leaf Marinas

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    • We’ll be offering a weekly refueling service – we’ll drive your boat to the fuel dock, refuel it, pump it out, fill it with fresh water and then return and disinfect it.

Man! I would love that service!!  :smiley:
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    My new shirt 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This all ought to be interesting...boating probably one of the safest activities.  
  • Options
    YYZRC said:

1. Customers will not be allowed on or near their boat during launch.

Marina staff will look after the following:

·         Remove shrink wrap, cover, or tarp

·         Install canvas – if your canvas is not on the boat, please deliver four days before launch

·         Hook up batteries - boost if necessary

·         Check that the boat is watertight

·         Fuel boat, if requested.

·         Move the boat to slip and secure

·         Check one hour later that the boat is still watertight 

·         Fog or wipe down interior contact points with disinfectant

The fee for this launch service will be $ 120 plus HST.     We will be subsidizing fuel prices if purchased

as part of the launch service - Gasoline and Diesel both at 87 cents per litre.

When I first read this I questioned the extra $120 but after thinking about it, that's a bargain. Especially with the canvas and batteries. Our marina is $40 a battery if they do it, but that includes removal in fall, clean up and charge/storage over winter and re-install in the spring. Wonder if it's extra if they have to lift the batteries in?
    The fuel deal is nice too. That's about half price over last season I would think, of course fuel prices are way down. If our marina offered this deal I'd probably take it. Our new last year, private, owner is a pretty shrewd guy, I'm sure he's checking what other places are doing and maybe they'll follow suit.
    Only thing they didn't explicitly state was hooking up shore power to keep your batteries charged for bilge pumps but I would suppose that's part of securing to the dock.
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    i kinda like that hovering look

is the dog real or a knodder  for the rear glass
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    I would pay $120 for a lot less service. I would probably pay $120 to have someone tie up my boat and load my car. We seem to have no services available around us. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    The public officials like to say we are all in the "storm" together but they don't seem to understand that some of us are weathering the storm on a 100 foot yacht and some us are in leaking canoes. The result is many are being protected from the virus but are doomed by economic consequences of the shutdown. We evaluate risks in our everyday life and this should be no different. Give us the facts and let us decide accordingly.
  • Options
    @RiverRat232 I agree with you to a point. Once things are turning around a little more I'll agree more. I think we're just about at the plateau in most parts of Canada but honestly, I don't think the U.S. unfortunately has peaked yet, realizing there are regional differences. The other issue is going to be that there are areas in the world that are just now taking off and although private travel for pleasure is curtailed there is still a huge amount of traffic for commerce, import/export etc. particularly in ocean shipping and we'll see some impact from that also. The main problem with just opening things back up is that I think almost all of us on here are reasonably intelligent or we wouldn't be able to enjoy boating the way we do. It takes a certain kind of person to be able to purchase, maintain, operate a boat. Unless you were born rich and are still friggin' stupid. See that sometimes too. But there are still a lot of pretty dumb people out there that need to be told what to do, or they won't do it. Either because of lack of brains or initiative or both.
    On another note, the repercussions will be felt for quite some time, I predict at least a year and even then there will be flare ups. It will also affect a lot of activities, for example I see a lot of very large annual events cancelling right into the fall. In most cases because it takes months to prepare and that can't be done right now but I think in other cases because this thing is going to linger for quite some time and any truly large gatherings will ignite flare ups. I would be more than happy to be wrong though.
  • Options
    RiverRat232RiverRat232 Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    The wild card is we don't know how many people have had the virus and they were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms and never went to the doctor. I have read that researchers are surprised to find that more people have the Covid antibody than previously thought. That may mean the public has a greater herd immunity. But who knows? I just hope it's gone soon.
  • Options
    Yeah me too. Even the experts can't agree on the immunity thing. There have been patients that had it twice and/or the virus may be mutating slightly so who knows. I'm essential and working but our companies hot shots are telling us to be prepared to be in Covid mode until fall. Honestly don't know if I can last that long. Getting burnt out working 6 days a week.
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve said all along people have had it and didn’t even know. Admiral had what we thought was a bad cold going to bronchitis till they panicked and had her tested - had the flu unbeknownst to either of us. I got nothing from it.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard they will develop a vaccine with a microchip in it so they know you had it. 
  • Options
    Good luck getting anybody to agree to that!
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone has already unknowingly agreed to a lot worse. Fitness trackers,apple and Google phones. Those already track us more than we even know. I'm not some conspiracy type just saying. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Willhound said:
    Good luck getting anybody to agree to that!
    Bill Gates idea
  • Options
    Aqua_Aura said:
    Everyone has already unknowingly agreed to a lot worse. Fitness trackers,apple and Google phones. Those already track us more than we even know. I'm not some conspiracy type just saying. 
    Yeah, no kidding. I check usage agreements and limit my tracking as much as possible. Device location etc. is all turned off on any of my devices etc. 
    Young people these days just do not get it. Big Brother doesn't have to watch, they're giving it to them. Nothing in this world is free so all those wonderful apps etc. come with a price. for the value of the data Apple should be giving away I-phones.
    But at least the smarter of us can decide if we want to use that device or app or not.
    Inject me with a micro chip? Even as a mild mannered Canadian I'd be getting my gun out.
  • Options
    So far I have blown off the conspricy theories floating around by China...Mike Pompeo on the news this morning sure is getting close to an all out accusation that China with held information and really just letting this spread world wide. They still will not let any medical or scientists return and he went on to say they are buying up distressed businesses in the US profiting off the whole mess. He offered no details or proof but seemed at the least confident of what he was saying....little scary to think about. I heard another Florida congressmen also satated in the leadership's speeches to the Chinese people their goal is to diminish our economy and then militarily.    
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Operation sea spray, us military used mustard gas on its own

1950 the us military released bio warfare bacteria into the fog of San Fran to test it on the population of 800,000 

The Tuskegee project, sterilizing African American males

The WHO and UNICEF are tied to using vaccinations for diseases as a disguise to sterilize populations in Africa and India which also tie back to the foundation bill gates and his wife run.

Let's not forget operation paperclip where Nazi I
    scientists and doctors were given a new life and clean slate to come work for the U.S. government. These people where known for having done research on bio weaponry and plumn island was home to some of their research.  A well known lab for bacteria and other viral bio weapon tests and experiments.

Not conspiracy theory, sad and scary fact

Im not with the anti vaxxers but I'm a little hesitant to buy all the kool aid the government is selling.

• Options
    Not to turn this into politics we just seem to buddy buddy with this communist and the likes...I dunno....
  • Options
    Well Biden sure is!!!!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭✭
     Too true. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if I had it about a month ago. I had a slight cough and felt like I was warm but our batteries in our thermometer were dead so couldn't confirm it. Had a headache up the back of my head and a sore neck. Chest felt a little congested or funny. Like a feeling I hadn't felt before. It lasted a few days but wasn't severe. At the time I chalked it up to just being a little under the weather but now I'm wondering. Wife hasn't felt anything. So who knows.
  • Options
    boatman37 said:
    I'm wondering if I had it about a month ago. I had a slight cough and felt like I was warm but our batteries in our thermometer were dead so couldn't confirm it. Had a headache up the back of my head and a sore neck. Chest felt a little congested or funny. Like a feeling I hadn't felt before. It lasted a few days but wasn't severe. At the time I chalked it up to just being a little under the weather but now I'm wondering. Wife hasn't felt anything. So who knows.
    Doesn’t matter what you had, it’s COVID
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    I guess this is old news now. 
  • Options
    Nope. Just that some of us are lucky enough to be finally boating (not me unfortunately)  and others are at least starting to work on boats, so more topics popping up. A nice change really. Virus hasn't gone away but at least it isn't the only thing going on.
  • Options
    We have netflix but only  the kids that have the password use it, we just pay for it! I will check it out...