Options

Virus

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    There's a brewery within our harbor.  It announced today they are shutting down because an employee tested positive.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shawnmjr said:
    Shameless is 100 times better 😎
    @Handymans342 Season 10 of Shameless just hit  Netflix. 
    No Fiona 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Show got better after Fiona left.  I was sick of her story line
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last week a local Doctor, ordered his staff to go get tested. They when to the county health dept. on a long lunch break. They all signed up and was waiting testing, however there time was up and had to return to work before getting tested. 3 days later a report was sent the entire staff was infected. Hummmm?
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really can't believe those stories without proof. I hear the same thing rehashed over and over... gotta have proof otherwise forget about it being valid. Everyone I know who has had symptoms came back positive. I also personally know about 5 who came back negative that live with the positives... which surprises me because they are all married and families that live in the same spot. 
  • Options
    Quote: I also personally know about 5 who came back negative that live with the positives... which surprises me because they are all married and families that live in the same spot. 

Does that indicate some of us are not going to get it? 

Story #2 our youth pasture and his wife tested positive, they canceled church in fear. most around them Quarantine for 14 days. They never got sick, no problems. It seems the testing is inaccurate.  Which make's  the reporting number off. 

I'm flying for the first time this year, Thursday, been  taking vitamin  C for a week trying to build up the immune system. the plane is only half full. but it only take's one. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    randy56 said:
    Quote: I also personally know about 5 who came back negative that live with the positives... which surprises me because they are all married and families that live in the same spot. 

Story #2 our youth pasture and his wife tested positive, they canceled church in fear. most around them Quarantine for 14 days. They never got sick, no problems. It seems the testing is inaccurate.  Which make's  the reporting number off. 

I'm flying for the first time this year, Thursday, been  taking vitamin  C for a week trying to build up the immune system. the plane is only half full. but it only take's one. 
    I also have a friend of about 13 years who moved down here within the same week that I did. We are close as far as buddies go.  He is an anti masker, hanging out with whoever he wanted to and not caring about it. He started showing symptoms a week ago Monday, had a rough tueday AND FLEW TO CT on WED. His family was mortified, even though he took a 15 min test in CT and tested negative. They were so angry with him that he then hopped on a plane and flew back here Thursday. These are the people you have to watch out for. Have been trying to get through to him but he's STILL out in public...and doing what he wants...he sounds sick to me on the phone and apparently has an inhaler treatment from the doctor for the first time in his life! 
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    i was getting coffee yesterday afternoon .. lady maybe 35 ish in mask was joking i needed a coffee im supposed to be in quarantine but i dont have any symptoms  
    i will say it ... what about the idiots @ sturgis 
    what will they spread across the nation
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    randy56 said:

Well, you don’t stand a lot of chance of catching it on an airplane. 

If every airline in the United States joined together in advertising that the average person has only about a 0.023% chance of getting (not dying from, just getting) Covid-19 from a two-hour flight on a commercial airliner in which every seat is filled, would that be enough to get you to fly again?
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Wow that is shockingly low even if the number is off significantly it is still very low. I'll let my passengers and company think they need to stay at home, I like flying their cargo instead. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In wonder if there is any chance that the overly inflated death/positive cases numbers have anyting to do with an attempt tank the economy and influence voters.

As for the Sturgis riders, motorcycles since the
    dawn of cell phones are 110% more dangerous than the covid 19.  If they can make it there traveling hundreds if not thousands of miles on 2 wheels then covid is of little risk.

Lets ask ourselves why local and state government willingly give permits to huge groups for "peaceful" protests knowing they often turn into riots and or looting but deny permits for church groups or boy scout troops etc if they have more than 10 people.

I think all our attention is on a virus that is being overly played when we have much greater issues to be addressing than quarantines or who doesn't wear a mask.  

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    permits ?? they don't think they need no stinking permits 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,577 mod
    If every airline in the United States joined together in advertising that the average person has only about a 0.023% chance of getting (not dying from, just getting) Covid-19 from a two-hour flight on a commercial airliner in which every seat is filled, would that be enough to get you to fly again?

The airlines won't go there.  When you include the other parts of the trip (taxi, ticketing, baggage, security, terminals, hotel etc. as mentioned in the article), the risk probably goes up by a factor of ten.  Still low, right?  Yes, but on a typical day with 500k air passengers, that's 1000 people who become infected during travel.  

No airline wants customers thinking about statistics like that.  
  • Options
    GMSLITHO said:
    permits ?? they don't think they need no stinking permits 

They are giving them permits in my city.  Then the organizers complain that the cops/city isn't adhering to their agreement on the march ending destination.  What they dont cover in the news is the crowds were not obeying rules, throwing objects and causing property damage.  

Later that week a local church was denied a group of 20 on a campsite the size of a football field.  

The youth pastor asked if it was booked as a peaceful protest could they make the reservation.  The state run campground hung up on them

• Options
    People will never wake up to what’s really going on. 
  • Options
    @69fastback thanks for the info, even better coming from a pilot. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    LaRea said:

The airlines won't go there.  When you include the other parts of the trip (taxi, ticketing, baggage, security, terminals, hotel etc. as mentioned in the article), the risk probably goes up by a factor of ten.  Still low, right?  Yes, but on a typical day with 500k air passengers, that's 1000 people who become infected during travel.  

No airline wants customers thinking about statistics like that.  
    I think your math is a bit off. .023% of 500,000 is 115. These numbers are based on every seat filled, which is happening rarely. I flew yesterday at had 115 of 223 seats filled. Any way you look at it, that’s a fraction of 1% chance of catching it on an airplane. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Actually, math is almost perfect when you multiply by that fudge factor of ten mentioned for taxi, ticketing..etc.  :wink: 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    plz = enlighten = what really is going on
  • Options
    trip_n said:
    plz = enlighten = what really is going on
    Ask=George Soros
  • Options
    I'm going to Russia to get the cure  
  • Options
    Our flight is short, Nashville TN to Harrisburg PA, one nite in hotel, no taxi, rental car at destination. I have no fear about this trip. ticket's are printed from home. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    J3ff said:
    I'm going to Russia to get the cure  
    You have Covid? LMAO
  • Options
    Ha ha, not yet, but at the rate it's down here in SFL I will soon. 
  • Options
    Well Putin would be glad to put a needle in your American A$$
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,577 mod
    edited August 2020
    69fastback said:
    Any way you look at it, that’s a fraction of 1% chance of catching it on an airplane. 
    Agreed. 

Here's what irks me:  some statistician combined incomplete, inaccurate health data with a string of dubious assumptions to arrive at the official-sounding figure of 0.023%.  That's not how math works.  The precision of a conclusion is limited to the precision of the LEAST accurate data or assumption.  At best, he could say "a fraction of 1%" as you said.  
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    unbelievable 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭✭
    Statistics can make anything bad look good based on the model used. Always disliked stats, took little notice of them and even more since I learnt more about them in lean expert training.

Raw numbers and basic math is linked more to reality.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    trip_n said:
    ... what about the idiots @ sturgis 
    what will they spread across the nation

Less than the protestors are. Thousands of protestors across the country every weekend...much more spread there than 1 weekend of a few thousand bikers

• Options
    Statistics: works 100% of the time, some of the time.