Options

Transom assemblies and engine room makeover

Comments

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 869 ✭✭✭
    You did a nice job, hoping to put mine back in soon.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Installed new exhaust shutters today.  All four sets were gone.  

What are the odds that I could bend these trim hoses without screwing them up?  The originals had 90 degree bends, and the new ones are 45.  I can make it work, but 90 would be better.

• Options
    edited February 2021
    I also installed the transom assembly wiring harnesses, secured the cables along the transom, and put the cover on the cable tray.  It's starting to look less messy and more yachty.  

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the doohickey to the port side of the port trim pump your steering angle sensor for autopilot?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea , it’s going to be tough to bend the hoses without kinking them unless you have a small tube bender. If you have a small tube bender it should be possible, but I don’t know if you have enough space for one with what I see.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    redlightningredlightning Member Posts: 284 ✭✭✭
    You are killing it on this project.  Great job!  
    2011Sea Ray 450 Twin 8.2’s Bravo III Sterndrive
    2012 390 Sea Ray Twin 8.2’s Inboard - Sold
    2008 330 Express Cruiser - Sold
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    @YYZRC - yes, that's it.  The actuator is at the far right side of the photo, and the actuator cable runs along the steering link.  

@aero3113 - I found a mini tube bender on Amazon.  For $15, maybe I'll just buy one and see if it's small enough.  One thing's certain:  I do NOT want to risk destroying one of those hoses!  

[EDIT:  I doubt I'll be able to get a tube bender on there.  See photo.]

• Options
    @LaRea what auto pilot set up do you have. I started to look into it but didn't find anything suitable for I/Os.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    I think it'd be too much risk to bend it.  There isn't much there near the fitting to allow more to bend.  A professional could do it, and with the correct tool, yes.  I couldn't imagine if you kinked it. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    @LaRea, with the fitting slid down to the hose you might have enough room.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea what LEDs did you use for the engine bay?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    @Grahamu I have a Raymarine autopilot with an Octopus Type R drive -- made by your fellow Canadians.  It's the only one that I know works with Merc I/O, and it has performed flawlessly. 

https://octopusdrives.com/products/type-r-mechanical-remote-drives/ 

@YYZRC I used a Scandvik 8" LED that is ignition-protected.  They are not cheap at $23 each, but six of them do a great job of illuminating every corner.  I have two on each side, and two along the transom.  

https://boatstore.com/scandvik-41346p-8-led-scanstrip-white.html
  • Options
    @LaRea , do you have any close up pictures of the lights installed? I’m interested 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I'll grab some pix this week.  In cell phone photos, the "cool white" color looks a bit antiseptic, but it's effective for visibility.  Electrically, installation is easy because they draw hardly any current.  Mechanically, they weigh almost nothing and can be installed with small screws.  

I installed a switch at the helm.  But if you don't want the hassle of wiring a switch, I think it would be fine to connect them to the cockpit light circuit.  
  • Options
    Another note for anybody who buys new transom assemblies:  the kit does not include bushings for the tops of the trim rams.  If you can't or didn't keep the old ones, a new set will cost you $32 per drive.  
  • Options
    @LaRea , my “Swim Light” switch isn’t being used and there’s an open plug at the transom for it. My current engine room lights that are hooked up with the cockpit lights are good but nowhere’s near as bright as what you have.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Well, I have zero experience bending tubing.  If I kink one of those hoses, it would mean removing the transom assembly ... basically a full do-over.  That's not a risk I want to take when I'm this close to the finish line. 

I mean, zero SUCCESSFUL experience!
  • Options
    @LaRea , I wouldn’t chance bending them if you don’t have the correct tool. Maybe you can get some fittings and make your own “bend”?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @LaRea, thanks for the link, looks like a project for next winter.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is how all of us would like to finish our boats- I sure cleaned mine out well when the motor was out but I just could not see doing all of that and then seeing it go back to crap with use...but I am super envious I did not take the time to do it now looking at this! Great work!
  • Options
    @rasbury you are so right!  Owning a boat is like treading water ... it takes a lot of work just to stay in place. 

The thing is:  when I'm not on the water, and especially during The Season That Shall Not Be Named, I'm not good at sitting around relaxing.   I'm worse than most.  The Admiral calls me Captain Spring-Butt.  Best guess, I've put 160 hours of labor into this project.  And I was happy to have it as a diversion. 

I'll do okay on resale, but my labor will earn me like four cents an hour.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My hats is off to your Analnis Chris 😁
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it is different here in FL during "that time of the year" as there is just always activity year round and typically for me, I'm in the water all year. My poor boat is in a sad state of affairs and the little bit of cooler weather we do have is a great time to get the buffer out as the rains let up for our "winter" also. Just did not happen this year but hopefully I will get her home soon and get to work. I also need to start replacing upholstery and carpeting up top....get my home projects done and I can start on the fun stuff again... 
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    aero3113 said:
    @LaRea , do you have any close up pictures of the lights installed? I’m interested 
    The guy who helped me install the transoms is planning to install them on his boat.  Gotta say, it makes a big difference.  

I used Ancor 16-2 duplex wire because I had leftovers from other work, and Ancor makes a really nice product.  But it's LED lighting ... you could use smaller wire.  

Anyone planning to tackle this job should get some high-quality heat-shrink butt connectors.  Example, with a shout-out to @Aqua_Aura:   https://www.amazon.com/stores/CascadeTools/Homepage/page/C837E51F-2125-480F-8190-F4A8F5C67D3F

• Options
    They look nice @LaRea  you went with 6 total?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are nice lights. The stock ones on my boat and I assume everyone else's Rinker are very inadequate. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    My ER originally had two tiny lights like the cockpit accent lights, and they were useless.  When I upgraded the cockpit lights to LED, I upgraded the ones in the engine room ... still useless.  

The Skandvics throw light almost 180 degrees, and it's a comfortable level of light.  I have two on each side and two along the transom.  

[EDIT:  I used screws to attach the lights, but @kennydalglish used epoxy -- which is probably a better method.  The lights weigh almost nothing.]
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    Good idea to replace my engine room light too. 
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    By the way where did you get the led light?
  • Options