Options

Transom assemblies and engine room makeover

Comments

• Options
    SimcoeRinker400SimcoeRinker400 Member Posts: 319 ✭✭✭
    LaRea's is next level.  In a new Category "Better than New"  :)
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
    2023 Seadoo Spark Trixx x 2
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Looks very nice.  Surprised you have 2 additional batteries.  Are they house batteries?  So, you have 4 house batteries now?  I should've hopped in on the order of the waste tank, maybe we could've gotten 2 much cheaper.  Mine has a pretty good crease in it from one of the strong pump outs I encountered.  If you haven't looked, you may want to take a peek at the input power connections going into the generator.  That area gets a lot of moisture and on mine, inside the sound shield in a really tough spot to get to, the input power corroded enough to come disconnected after causing some problems.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    @Dream_Inn I remember you mentioning the genny battery inlet connector.  Fortunately, mine were okay, even though there's often moisture sitting down there. 
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Dream_Inn ...  I did that you mentioned that back when I had it all apart.  No Corrosion or anything.  Thanks for the Tip.  As for the tank I had a local Plastic Place make me the tank mine cost more as I had it made in a 5 days.  The normal speed cost is $900 CAD cost a bit more as we can not find the tanks with the ports in the right spots.  Also this tank has the a baffle in it and 3/8 thick wall so much stronger than our factory tanks.  Ameri-kart makes our tanks and they would not get back to me.   
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn ...  I did that you mentioned that back when I had it all apart.  No Corrosion or anything.  Thanks for the Tip.  As for the tank I had a local Plastic Place make me the tank mine cost more as I had it made in a 5 days.  The normal speed cost is $900 CAD cost a bit more as we can not find the tanks with the ports in the right spots.  Also this tank has the a baffle in it and 3/8 thick wall so much stronger than our factory tanks.  Ameri-kart makes our tanks and they would not get back to me.   
    Hmmmm, that baffle looks like a good place for crap & crap paper to get hung up. Should be all set as long as you use the paper that decomposes quickly.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    I asked that he said it has not been a problem.  But I will find out this summer :smile:
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey re painted engine room looks great!!! Nice work 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Picked up the transoms today!  I don't normally allow boxes in the garage (or salt film on the car) but in this case, I'll make an exception.  

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are some expensive pieces of cardboard!!
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭
    A lot of money sitting in the floor
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this forum was about boating now I think it's about painting and $$. Nice work @SimcoeRinker342 engine bay looks great.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Looks good LaRae once it is stuck back together you be excited to get the boat back in the water. B)
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 869 ✭✭✭
    They are probably the only ones in North America, I checked availability at Mercury, none anywhere.
  • Options
    Could be.  Kudos to @Dream_Inn ... his favorite parts guy (Rhode River Marina) got them.  
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    Could be.  Kudos to @Dream_Inn ... his favorite parts guy (Rhode River Marina) got them.  
    I was supposed to meet up with you when you came to pick it up.   I was thinking I'd take you over to Mike's for some crabcake sandwiches on me!  Glad to hear it worked out for you!

• Options
    Would have been nice ... I need to quit my day job!  
  • Options
    Transom day!  

I put a 1/4" bead of 4200 on the gasket, plus a bead around each of the studs.  It pushed out a nice, reassuring excess around the outside and inside.  

• Options
    I enlisted the help of a COVID-trusted friend.  We installed the transoms, exhaust Y-pipes, steering actuator, trim hoses, auto-pilot actuator and rudder sensor.  It took us less than three hours.  

• Options
    Note for anybody installing new transoms:  be careful when you attach the trim hoses to the pump! 

From the factory, the two hoses are attached to each other.  You have to break the connection and attach them to the trim pump.  THE HOSES ARE FULL AND PRESSURIZED!  They will gush hydraulic fluid when you break the connection.  Don't bother holding them high up above the transoms; it will not help.  Get some rags, and be ready to act quickly. 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They’re so pretty! Stainless steering pin??
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    They’re so pretty! Stainless steering pin??
    If our wives knew how we all felt about these transom assemblies they would be like WTF! LoL!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at those stems!! How can I not be excited?!
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    They ARE pretty!  Ya know, I didn't even check the steering pins.  But with a price tag north of three boat-bucks each, the pins should be made from unobtainium.  
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    LaRea said:
    They ARE pretty!  Ya know, I didn't even check the steering pins.  But with a price tag north of three boat-bucks each, the pins should be made from unobtainium.  
    And they are actually made of something that will fail way before it should. It's amazing and why this is the last mercury powered boat I'll ever own!!
  • Options
    Compared to my original 2007 transoms, these have a different raw water fitting that brings cooling water in from the outdrive.  The fitting coming through from outside has a plastic liner, and the inside diameter is larger.  I'm guessing that's the solution for the corrosion/overheating issue that my boat had when I adopted her in 2013.  
  • Options
    Beautiful!!!

• Options
    Looks Awesome LaRae!!
    2008 Rinker 400 EC 
    2015 Scarab 165G
    Laser Sailboat
    2002 Seadoo Explorer
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those things look awesome. Love new stuff. You must have freaked out with all hydraulic fluid spraying in that beautiful bilge.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks perfect!

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 535 ✭✭✭
    Have to say I am jealous. Congrats