Options

Super Cool New Mercury App.

Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

You heard it on the Rinker Forum first! LOL

Is your boat's engine(s) equipped with smart craft control system(s)?

If so and you don't have the amazing Mercury Vessel View display system - it looks like help is on the way.

Reports in the recent Boating Magazine indicate that, starting in May Mercury will sell for $275 a module that will connect to your smart craft engine output to broadcast Vessel View data to your iOS or Android systems.

The app to link the two will be available via a free download - probably using the purchase code from your module, I'm guessing.

It looks like you'll receive most if not all of the normal Vessel View data streams. If so this is, imo, an amazing up-grade for very little money.

P.S. From the pictures I saw it looks like your tablet/phone/lap top will receive exactly the same screen as you see on the oem Vessel View!

Comments

• Options
    elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Hmmm... Should I get the Mercmonitor or the app?
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    This is awesome news! I've been looking at the merc monitor, but this is even better. I'll be buying it as soon as I can. 
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    That is great news and about time!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    golfdoggolfdog Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    This is great news! I've been struggling with what to do on this issue for years.
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Damnit!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Awesome. I'll be buying that. 
  • Options
    I wonder if you need two Bluetooth modules for two engines. And if the app can intuitively show data on two engines on one screen. 
  • Options
    Good questions. I can not see a way around needing two modules (senders) for twin engines. I assume the app would have the same screen capability as the Vessel View, which shows two engine's data on one screen simultaneously.
  • Options
    @craigswardmtb probably a J Box and then the module feeds the information off tha maybe? I wish I would of known about this a month ago! Would of just bought a mount for my iPad for my dash and used that as my information center!
  • Options
    I like the idea of the app, but my tach is wishy washy. Sometimes it is spot on, other times I have to tap it to get it close. If I replaced the tach with the MercMonitor, then I would have a gauge that works and gives me good information. Decisions decisions...
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Same money spent and the app sounds like it'd give a TON more information. I'd just replace the tach with the same for cheap and get the app. Best of both worlds
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    JoeStang said:
    Same money spent and the app sounds like it'd give a TON more information. I'd just replace the tach with the same for cheap and get the app. Best of both worlds
    Good point... I could go with the SmartCraft tach and the app.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options

@jme097 I agree, I was in your shoes a couple months ago and was very close to pulling the trigger on two Vesselview 4's.  I actually went to the Miami boat show thinking I might find a good deal.  In the end I ended up spending a bunch of boat bucks on wrapping my boat and buying a new dinghy setup, so it got put on the backburner again.  Looking forward to this app.  Even at $558 i think its a good deal. 

I am quite surprised Merc is putting something like this out. I would think this would be very dilutive to their hardware and service and support sales.  They must be confident the revenue and probably incredible margin on these Bluetooth devices will make up for it.  I bet those BT devices cost them maybe $10 to make.

• Options
    @craigswardmtb I was just going to say that the margin has to be unbelieveable. You had the same exact thought process I had when I heard this. They are in a way cannibalizing their own product line with this. Now guys will just purchase a tablet and mount it right in front of them and not even mess around with replacing gauges and such. Wish I would have seen this before I installed the MercMonitor and SC100 gauges. 
  • Options
    .....I said it "looks" amazing. These guys aren't stupid. Maybe they are holding back some of the data streams. I know the data available from my Vessel View was amazing. there was so much available I was still finding things out two years later. Of course maybe they thought it was just a matter of time until some young techies figured-out how to capitalize on their platform so they released their own version. But, one thing for sure I rarely see big business do something adverse to their profit potential. My guess is this new system will be about 70% of the full on system and will be designed for guys who want to replace gauges but still won't get the full data capability. It will be interesting to get the first review from one of out Forum guys!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    You may be right MT.  I'm thinking it may not give you any faults??  Which is one of the two main reasons I connected VV.  Having the fault come up in plain English is really nice.  I'll be curious as I know several people on my dock that would purchase right away.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    If you watch the above video, it states that it will give you faults.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    First of all, I applaud Merc for making this into a product ... brilliant, and I think it will make sense for a lot of boaters.

But not everybody!  It's always safer to get this type of information from bespoke marine-grade electronics such as VesselView or MercMonitor rather than from a cell phone.  Typically, the times when you need it most are in emergencies, which is exactly when it can be most difficult to use a cell phone. 

I feel the same way about navigation displays.  Sure, an iPad is cheaper than a Raymarine MFD, but which one would you count on when you get caught in 5-footers and high winds?

Still ... bravo, Mercruiser!
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    So.. just preface.. I agree that dedicated marine grade systems are the way to go when the cost is justified (ie doing more than "day boating" on a single lake or if the cost of said marine electronics is minute when compared to the cost of the boat they are being installed on).  However it is interesting the credibility that tablets and electronic devices these days seem to get (see below).

The FAA certifies that iPads and Android tablets can be the sole device used by pilots for pre-flight planning, in-flight navigation and reference for electronic charts at all times during a flight.

Scary or no?  It does seem to lend some credibility to tablets and their dependability these days though.  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    Wow, that IS interesting, Mike!
  • Options
    planesailingplanesailing Member Posts: 173 ✭✭
    Looks really good! Does anyone know if this would be compatible with my engine... I have a 5.7 efi. Not sure of the age as its not the original engine that came with the boat but I'd prob say it's around 2000-2002 and was put in by the PO.
  • Options
    No word on this yet as of today??  Unless I'm missing it, the app is not in the App Store yet and my dealer says the part number isn't showing up as orderable...
  • Options
    Did they give you a part number?
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Did they give you a part number?
    He had the part number but Inforgot to write it down...left him a message to call me or email me with it asap. 
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Has anyone purchased this yet?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    bigjimbigjim Member Posts: 3
    Mercury changed the release date to Summer of 16. Still no app in the app store so I'm guessing its still not out yet.  I couldn't wait any longer with broken gauges so I went with a mercmonitor.