Options

Super Cool New Mercury App.

Comments

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    I called Merc today and they said its not released yet and they did not have a date.  He couldn't commit to summer.  Kind of bummed.  I was hoping to have this prior to our big trip in two weeks.  Oh well.  I'll patiently wait and live with bad guages for now...
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Dang I was banking on this for my birthday gift.  Better start searching for something else.  Does anyone know the grand total?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    WallyWally Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Hello all!  This is my first post to this forum and it is going to be a whopper!  My name is Wally and I work for Mercury Marine.  I just found out about this forum topic today and have I got an offer for you!!  IF you are willing to be a beta tester for the Mercury Marine VesselView Mobile app, I will send you the hardware module for free, a $275 value (with instructions on how to download the beta app for free as well).  I can provide technical support to get it installed but if you are not capable or require additional parts, you will need to work with a dealer to complete that portion.  I'm a desk jockey and can install this in less than 3 minutes so it is not tough.  

I need you to be forthright in your ability to actually test the app and not just be seeking a freebie.  Email me (walter.ross@mercmarine.com) the following details: Boat make/model, engine serial number(s), and how often you will be able to get on your boat on a weekly basis from now through October (realistic answers get responses...).  At the completion of the beta testing, you are allowed to keep the hardware module and download the actual production app for free when it is made available on Google Play and the App Store.  

I will extend this offer to the first 10 (ten) suitable candidates that respond (AND if the response if overwhelming and we actually get good beta testers from that first ten, I have permission to increase it another ten units).  Looking forward to your input and appreciate your time!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Very cool for Mercury.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Wally , Is this legit?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,570 mod
    edited August 2016
    [EDIT:  this appears to be legitimate.]
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    GreggGregg Member Posts: 93 ✭✭
    Good catch LaRea.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its to good to be true...and his verbiage....
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Sure it's a scam?  Here is his Linkedin Account.  And their email addresses are @mercmarine.com.

Post edited by 06Rinker270 on
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    [EDIT:  this appears to be legitimate.]
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure hope it is legit as my original post was hopeful and I do like to share new trends with the forum. Fingers crossed for a good final outcome.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I sent him a message with my info.  I'm a software developer by trade and I build mobile apps.  I'd be a great tester.

We'll see.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    The Main ExchangeThe Main Exchange Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    I believe he is legit as when I worked at Mercury Marine my e mail was ....@mercmarine

2007 300 EC, 350 Mags, B3's, Table Rock Lake, MO

• Options
    summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    As I understand it...any engine smart craft ready should work.  My 2002 mag 350 says smart craft on the flame arrest cover.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    IMO this is legit. The Vanilla forum would have "spam" him into a file if the e-mail address is not active. However I would still be a little Leary as this seems to be to good to be true.......... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    So I just received a response from Walter.  I need to verify my engine SN...but it looks like I might be in as a tester as long as the SN works out!!!!
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I emailed him as well. Hopefully I am good!
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    It appears to be legitimate.  The phone number is a Merc number, and Merc does use mercmarine.com email addresses.  I've traded a couple emails with Wally.  Once he verifies that my engines are compatible, he will mail me the hardware with an access code so I can download the app.  

(For better or worse, I am always instantly suspicious of things like this.  I blame 30 years of having it drilled into my head by DoD security personnel.  Call me skittish!)  
  • Options
    Well I exchanged emails back and forth with Walter and he is shipping me a module. I will update everyone once I have it in!
  • Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    I just sent him an email as well.  Hopefully I am a viable candidate.  Wondering if I would need to install any additional hardware to make this work though.  I do not have any Smart Craft gauges or Vessel View currently.  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    @Mike_G You don't need anything additional. The harness plugs right into the back of your engine off the harness drop. It'll have a yellow end cap on it. 
  • Options
    @jme097  Thank you sir!

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, you can all form a line to my right to thank me for getting this started........ :-)
  • Options
    Thanks MT!!! I am super pumped over this!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got my response too.  Looking forward to it!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    WallyWally Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    All,

Appreciate the great response, have more than 10 candidates signed up and I am in process of getting final SNs, shipping addresses and placing the internal orders to ship product.  Based on how well these beta testers do will determine if we offer another 10 units to this group so stay tuned!  Appreciate all your help... 
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Hey.. thanks Wally!  I appreciate the chance to help develop a new marine product, and that you chose Rinker owners to be a part of the testing.  We've got a good group of people here that I think will provide valuable feedback for this product.

Oh.. and thanks @Michael T also .. I made it in!

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    Thanks Wally for choosing us and for your fast response.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will this do anything for a 2004 270?