Options

Super Cool New Mercury App.

Comments

• Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    A bit of confusion going on around here...  I'm just going to plug the one connector into the port on the engine and see what I can see once I get the app.  Single 2014 350 MAG.  I don't care about fuel level, just fuel flow/burn rate.  I also don't think I need the "terminator cap" or whatever on that 2nd plug on the VV mobile harness.

It looks like it should really be that simple for newer (again 2014) single engine that has no current Smartcraft gauges or VesselView installed.

-=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys are stoked up like a school girl/boy getting ready from the prom. I'm glad I didn't get the thing. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Mike_GMike_G Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    You guys are stoked up like a school girl/boy getting ready from the prom. I'm glad I didn't get the thing. 
    I was never that stoked to go to the prom.. didn't even go to my own senior prom.  However, after the prom... ;)  Been to a few of those.   B)  -=Mike G.

2014 Rinker 260EC

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    It all seems pretty simple plug and play stuff, but Yes a single engine is simpler.  I would confirm the need for a terminator.  If you are simply plugging into the engine i would think you DO need the terminator installed on the BT VV harness.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When we added a Mercruiser harness to my former 2013 EC 310 we had to use terminating resistors on any open ports or the data was erratic. The TRs are not expensive, IMO.
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
    My unit came in the mail today. Does anyone have a part number for the j box? Is there anything else I need? 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,570 mod
    It lives!

All I did was a smoke test:  I turned it on, and no smoke came out, so it passed the smoke test.  Tomorrow morning, I'm getting underway for a few days, so I'll have lots of time to have fun with it.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm... I got the bluetooth unit installed, now just waiting on the app...
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Can you see engine hours?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Is the Bluetooth signal going to be strong enough if installed in engine room?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    Is the Bluetooth signal going to be strong enough if installed in engine room?
    Wondered the same thing..may also be interference when mounted in the engine room.  If I could download the app I'd know but still waiting for that. 
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    Same situation here.  Let me know when you get yours going @elarson5757
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    elarson5757elarson5757 Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    Will do @06Rinker270.  I emailed Wally today and he asked that I call him if my download instructions don't show up by noon tomorrow.  
  • Options
    I would have to think it's the latest BT standard which has great reception at distances over 50'.  I'm planning on installing it in my engine bay so we shall see. 

Raybo I laid out the part numbers you likely need in those attachments. It all depends on how much if any smartcraft harnesses or jbox's you may already have installed. What year is your 342 and do you have DTS?
  • Options
    2002 and do not have DTS
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    skennelly said:
    Can you see engine hours?
    Yes, hours plus oil pressure, coolant temp, volts, fuel flow, seawater pressure and more.

To install the software, just follow the link in the invitation email.  The link installs TestFlight (on Apple platforms).  Once that's installed, it will install VVM for you.  To install VVM on a second device, go to the App Store and download TestFlight.

NOTE:  When you get in VVM and sign up for an account, ignore the message that says you will receive a confirmation email.  There's no confirmation email.  You should be able to log in immediately once you sign up. 

• Options
    raybo3 said:
    2002 and do not have DTS
    Do you have 496's.  If you have no other smartcraft harnesses in place, which would be the case if you have all analog gauges and not DTS you would likely need the below.  I woudl confirm with Merc or Wally though based on your serial number.
    Below is what i ordered, which was about $350
    2 of pn 879981t25 - engine data harnesses
    2 of pn 878492k14 - two jboxes with 2 weather caps on each
    1 of pn 891957k01 - CAN Link Harness
    1 of pn 892323t01 - Dual engine instrument harness.  The BT module plugs in here.
    1 of pn 859743T04 - Fuel sender harness.  This sends fuel level data into smartcraft.  Its optional.  You may need a different pn based on serial number.  The older engines took a 3 pin.  Mine is 6 pin on a 2005..
  • Options
    Wally set me up with two activation codes to test on my Ipad and my Samsung s7.  Reach out to him if you need it.
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta love Mercruiser!
  • Options
    So far so good. A few crashes, typical for beta software. The data is all there but the display is still pretty basic. Lots of potential here. Great chance for us to make suggestions. 

My iPad was was able to connect at a distance of about 40 feet down the dock. 

Beautiful morning to to be on the water!
  • Options
    LaRea - you mounted your BT module behind the helm, correct?  I thought about this, but it is very busy behind my helm and i was concerned about it being too close to the VHF and interference.  Any issues with interference when VHF is on?
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    2002 and do not have DTS
    Do you have 496's.  If you have no other smartcraft harnesses in place, which would be the case if you have all analog gauges and not DTS you would likely need the below.  I woudl confirm with Merc or Wally though based on your serial number.
    Below is what i ordered, which was about $350
    2 of pn 879981t25 - engine data harnesses
    2 of pn 878492k14 - two jboxes with 2 weather caps on each
    1 of pn 891957k01 - CAN Link Harness
    1 of pn 892323t01 - Dual engine instrument harness.  The BT module plugs in here.
    1 of pn 859743T04 - Fuel sender harness.  This sends fuel level data into smartcraft.  Its optional.  You may need a different pn based on serial number.  The older engines took a 3 pin.  Mine is 6 pin on a 2005..
    @craigswardmtb Thanks for your help. I have 5.7 MAG Horizon  I will reach out to Wally.....
  • Options
    Yes, behind helm. No issues so far with vhf. It does put a fair load on phone battery. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was pondering putting the module near the helm, near the subwoofer on my 342. I rarely have the stereo on while running and keeps it away from my VHF. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I have two vhf radios within a couple feet of the VVM. Used one to call the other and the VVM didn't miss a beat. 
  • Options
    onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    Wally said I will be in the second group of testers
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    How does it get the MPH? I have the my GPS NMEA0183 tied into my SC100 speedo right now. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure it uses the phone GPS for speed
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone getting on the conference call?
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I can only stay 15 minutes